• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

help wanted please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks..ive been led to believe that my grandad henry harry harrington served in india...could anyone with access to ancestry be kind enough to check the medals roll and also maybe find out what his service number was and regiment...

many thanks for any help given..

lyn

hi chris..henry harry harrington was born 1908..the one you have born 1869 is my gt grandad and i have all his army records..

lyn

Have you tried asking people on Mailing lists (eg staffs) about where to apply for the records? If I remember right, it's official gov docs to be filled in before waiting a LONG time for a reply, except of course, if the person is still alive, then it has to be himself making the application.

thank you glennys and carolina i will have a go tomorrow...will let you know if i come up with anything...

lyn

Lyn, if it is Army records, you can contact the MOD with as much info as you have and as long as you are a legitimate next of kin, they will trace records if they can, like Glennys said, it's a bit long winded, but my friend did it and got a load of info - she ended up going to the HQ of the regiment her Uncle was in.
Sue

Can I just add that army records for anyone who was in the Guards are held at the RHQ of the regiment concerned, my own are at
Birdcage Walk London, it would cost me £35 if I wanted them as
they on not on computer and have to be done by hand.The most relivant info is
of course the persons army Number. Bernard

Last edited:
Hi Bernard, just a quick question - if a soldier is "muted" to another division / batallion does his army change or does he keep it thru all his service? Thanks Glennys

To the best of my knowledge a mans army number stays with him for
life!It really saddens me to see all these regiments disappear./ Every
govenment I can remember has messed about with the army, Tom Kings
"Options For Change" did a lot of damage! There is even talk about
doing away with the Coldstream Guards, the oldest regiment of all,
going back to Cromwells New Model Army in 1650, Absolute Sacrilege
Just like your Moms Coop number any exservice man will tell you his army number!
Bernard

This was addressed to Bernard but if you'll excuse me stepping in.
In WW1 regiments did their own numbering. On my spreadsheet I've got a man in the Middlesex regiment with a number 468 and a Canadian with one as low as 221.
My grandfather's medal card shows him with a number for when he was in the Worcesters, (that was news to me !), and another given him by the Warwicks.
By the time I joined a number was a standard eight digits and it went with you whatever changed your cap badge to.

Bernard, I remember some years back there was talk about disbanding the Welsh Guards, (junior, of course), but that never came to pass.

Glennys raised an interesting point, have just looked and found a load of information about regimental numbers on ARRSEPedia.
In 1948 I was among the first lot of new numbers, 22214003, the
previous ones had been, 264, 265, and 266.,well worth a look at
that Pedia site, Bernard (looks a bit rude!!).

Hi Lynn,

I found this on another forum (2004), maybe it will help:

Officers or Soldiers whose regular or reserve service ended between 1921 and 1997

Army Personnel Centre
HQ Secretariat
Historical Disclosures
Mail Point 400
Kentigern House
65 Brown Street
Glasgow
G2 8EX

Back