• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Aerial photos of Birmingham

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
wonder if anyone could provide me with an overhead photo of the corner of gower st and guildford st please..trying to find a decent one of gower st school on the corner...many thanks for any help

lyn

Hi Lyn, the only aerial view I can find just shows the very bottom of Guildford Street so of no use I'm afraid.
thanks for looking john would that one show the paddington st end near guildford st if so i would also be interested in seeing that one...thanks

Lyn,
There is this aerial view dated 1920 and taken from high up so resolution is low and sharpening does not improve it. Gower Street runs up from bottom centre with the change in direction as it crosses Guildford Street. The school can be seen on the corner. Lozells Road just visible on the left.
Phil
Cropped from a larger view
GowerSt1920.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove' web site

Last edited:
great 2nd one OM..you can also see the other part of gower st school corner of guildford and lozells road which is still standing so far we cant find a ground level photo...thank you...could i trouble you to try and find one of paddington st please i was born there the section i am looking for is near the corner with guildford st....on the right as you look up from guildford cheers

lyn

thanks for looking john would that one show the paddington st end near guildford st if so i would also be interested in seeing that one...thanks
Hi Lyn,

The map I have, (attached), only shows the very bottom end of Guildford Street. Perhaps OM can access a map with Paddington Street on.

Attachments

• guildford-st.jpg
    guildford-st.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 25
In the view below (dated 1950) I've marked a red line on what I think is Paddington St at it's junction with Guildford St.
I can edit-move the view if necessary.
View attachment 157018
thanks john and phil...phil you are smack on great shot...i can even pick out alma st school which i attended for 6 months before moving from paddington st...will study it better later on..

lyn

In the view below (dated 1950) I've marked a red line on what I think is Paddington St at it's junction with Guildford St.
I can edit-move the view if necessary.
View attachment 157018
Great shot! Your red marker is about where the coal yard is/was, just down from the outdoor on the corner. If you follow Paddington St down, about 3/4 of the way on the other side, you can see the gap in the houses which is the peck. I lived just behind that.
Dave A

Great shot! Your red marker is about where the coal yard is/was, just down from the outdoor on the corner. If you follow Paddington St down, about 3/4 of the way on the other side, you can see the gap in the houses which is the peck. I lived just behind that.
Dave A
and dave i can see 4/12 where i was born and members of my family lived in that house from at least 1911 until demo late 60s...thats lot of history for me..sometimes these overhead shots are the only photos we have when all else fails

lyn

and dave i can see 4/12 where i was born and members of my family lived in that house from at least 1911 until demo late 60s...thats lot of history for me..sometimes these overhead shots are the only photos we have when all else fails

lyn
You can also see the chimney of Jones & Willis on Porchester Street, so it was still there in 1950.

lyn
If it was taken in 1950, you were not born yet. I was 10 and still going to Cowper St school. I look at the photo and wonder about who took these pictures...it looks so congested and grey and not a tree in sight, but it was home and gave me a great start in life experience.
Dave A

lyn
The detail on these aerial images is stunning, without them there were at least 5 images of Guildford Street that I would not have been able to determine the location.

Does anyone know where this arial photo of Lozells originated? I would like to purchase a copy. I have looked on the Britain From Above website but cannot find this photo. I have also noticed that Birchfield Road (off Six Ways ) is labelled incorrectly as Handsworth Wood Road.
Ariel view of Lozells-Birchfield copy.jpg

The aerial images are not in the 'britainfromabove' collection. They were apparently supplied to the Birmingham Library by a company known as Lithograve Ltd. On the Library website there is a link 'click to view purchase information' and when clicked it redirects to the digitalhandsworth site which no longer exists. Lithograve Ltd also appears to be nonexistent.
:)

A 1920s view across St Phillip’s Churchyard - before the loss of the glass domed roof of the GW Arcade and the demolition of Bluecoat School, right. I think the building joining the Bluecoat School on the far right belonged to the Church/Cathedral. Viv.

BB4D72F8-E759-4AB9-BD6A-E4B5E1B8AFD0.jpeg

Thanks Mike. I remember reading about it but was never able to place it. Never seen a photo of it either as far as I can remember, so thanks for confirming. Viv.

Back