• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help - trying to find William/John Smith in my family history - it's a bit long!

Mrs Bear 51

master brummie
Greetings,

You have all been very helpful with my past requests, so I thought I would see if anybody can shed any light on my Great Grandfather William/John Smith as I am going around in circles and I really don't know if I'm chasing the right person.

What I'd like an opinion on: is it possible that the man who gives his places of birth as Birmingham is the same man who has given (or had given on his behalf when he was young) the places of birth as Smethwick and Stafford? Or am I looking at two different men with the same name?

The fly in the ointment is the 1901 Census - I am 90% it is him, but it is from following this family that the Smethwick/Stafford location comes in for William, which is what is causing me doubt.

I'll start with what I do know - the stuff in the bold type, and work backwards:

1911 Census - William Smith - Scale Beam Forger - 42yrs - Born: Warwick, Birmingham. He is at this address with his wife, son & three daughters (one of which is my grandmother). They are at 5/61 Mount Terrace, off Wenman Street. (I am quite happy that this is the correct William Smith).

1903 - A man giving his name as John William Smith has a child called Rose Smith at 5 Mount Terrace. I have her birth cert. He is a Blacksmith. Mother is Corey.

1901 Census - William Smith - Blacksmith - 30yrs - Born: Birmingham, Warwick. He is shown to be brother in law to the head of the house - he is there with his wife (Annie), son (Henry) & daughter (written as Francis but I think it should be Fanny as below). The head of the house is not there, but his wife Margaret is (who was born in India). I believe she is married to Charles Smith, born 1868 in Cheltenham as I've found them on the 1911 census (but I can't find a wedding cert for them or where they were prior to 1911).

1898 - A man giving his name as John William Smith has a child called Fanny Sarah Smith at back 178 Edwardes Street - this lady is my Grandmother and I have her birth cert. He is a Blacksmith. Mother is Corey.

1895 - A man giving his name as John William Smith has a son called Thomas, who dies later that same year. I have the Death cert and it shows them living at back 178 Edwardes Street. He is a scale and beam forger. The cert shows mother to be Annie Elizabeth Smith.

1893 - William Smith has a child called Annie Eliza Smith at 16 Malvern Street, Birmingham. He is a scale and beam forger. Mother is Corey

1893 - A man giving his name as William John Smith is supposed to marry a lady called Annie Eliza Corey, but due to an error with the address of one of the parties, the wedding does not take place and I have not found a second marriage cert for these people. Annie Lizzie Corey was born in 1873 in Walsall. William gives his fathers name as Charles on the crossed-out cert.

1891 Census - I have found a William Smith - 20yrs - Born: Stafford, Smethwick - he is a lodger (not sure if he is my Smith).

1881 Census - William Smith - 10yrs - Born Smethwick, Staffs - he is a scholar and they are at 150 Moseley Street, Birmingham. (Not sure)

1871 Census - William Smith - just born in Smethwick, Staffs. They are at Unett Street, Birmingham. He is there with his father who is Charles Smith 1835, Cheltenham. I believe his mother to be a Sarah Allsop. (Not sure). It appears that her husband Charles dies in 1874 and she get remarried to a man called Joseph Oakley and has two children with him.

Sorry this is so long, but I'm hoping that a new pair of eyes might be able to see what I'm missing or indeed what I'm trying to make fit.

Thank you.

Seems the same person to me. William John Smith, mmn Allsop registered Mar 1871 Kings Norton (incl. Smethwick).

For some non local people even now they would say Smethwick was in Bham and if the information for 1901 was acquired from Margaret she might not have known.

Charles Smith married Margaret Matilda Thompson, reg Aston Jun 1895.

2 sons Henry 1895 and Thomas Joseph 1902 both registered Aston, mmn Thompson, correspond to the 2 sons with them in 1911.

Margaret is living with son Thomas J and family on 1939 register (6 Devonshre Terrace).

I find this very helpful to my tree, as we also have the family of Annie Elizabeth Smith born 1893, in Blakenhall. Walsall. Her father was William Smith her mother`s name formerly Annie Wilkes.
The connection I follow is Martha Thompson and William Jones. married in Rushall, Walsall. There maybe a connection or not.

Aren't the Smiths a real pain to research? Not helped as they usually have a first name like John or in my case William.
Good luck with your tree!

Back