• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Henry James Mould

YardleyWoodJo

Brummie babby
I have being trying to find a record of the birth, and then marriage of an ancestor, Henry James Mould. He was born 1848/9 I presume in Brum and died, aged 70 in Brum in 1919 (I have records for this). He married a Sarah Ann Shute (or similar surname) and they had several children after 1874 (the first being my great-grandfather William Henry). Lived around Icknield Port Rd / Osler St / Freeth St. I have drawn a blank getting anywhere with tracing his birth and parents' names (supposed to be George Mould and Mary Ann Selvage). Can anyone help?

There seems to be registrations for the other Mould children of George and Mary, with mmn Selvidge or a variation of it.

Could be that Henry just wasn't registered or it could be that Henry wasn't George's son. One thing I noticed, though Mary and Henry's birth is mostly listed as Bham on the 1881 they are both appear to be listed as Cheshire.

On the 1881 census Mary's birthplace is listed as Burton, Cheshire and also on the 1881 census there is a James Selvage living in Flint and his birthplace is also listed as Burton, Cheshire.

Hi,

Mary Ann SELVAGE married George MOULD in Birmingham in the third quarter of 1862. The GRO website has a 4th Quarter birth in Birmingham of a George MOULD.

Using the government's General Register Office website there's George MOULD registered birth in West Bromwich in the third quarter of 1848. Mother's surname: STRINGER.

In 1851 the family appear to be in Perry Barr. Father John from Roston in Derbyshire. FamilySearch has an 1833 marriage in Duffield with a register image.

Cheers

Hi,

Mary Ann SELVAGE married George MOULD in Birmingham in the third quarter of 1862. The GRO website has a 4th Quarter birth in Birmingham of a George MOULD.

Using the government's General Register Office website there's George MOULD registered birth in West Bromwich in the third quarter of 1848. Mother's surname: STRINGER.

In 1851 the family appear to be in Perry Barr. Father John from Roston in Derbyshire. FamilySearch has an 1833 marriage in Duffield with a register image.

Cheers
They had 3 - 4 children together then before being married (excluding my relative, father apparently unknown). I could expect 1 child born before marriage but so many! The George Mould I have details on was born in 1830, father Samuel and mother Alice Greenhough but there is obviously now doubt as to whether he is a blood ancestor at all now!

Just because George & Mary married late it doesn't definitely mean that Henry wasn't their son. Their next son, Richard, was registered 1855 as Mould mmn Selvidge.

My great great grandparents did the same.

Good point. Suppose I’ll never know but I like to think he was their son :)

Try tracing Samuel's family through 1851 to 1881, noting occupations and addresses. No one should be in two places at once.
The real answer would be a birth certificate and DNA testing of various family branches.

Back