• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help tracing an ancestor frederick merrick

annamk

Hello,
I am new to this forum having stumbled across it in researching my late father's ancestors. I don't know if this request is ok to make here - if it is not then please moderators, accept my sincere apologies and delete it.
My late father's family came from Birmingham. In the 2nd half of the 19th century they lived and worked in the area around the bull ring in places like Smithfield Passage, Bath Passage, Vine Street. They worked as poultry dealers, hawkers, florists, tote clerks. I have traced the line of my paternal grandmother a few generations but I have hit a complete blank wall in finding my paternal grandfather anywhere before his July 1912 marriage to my paternal grandmother.
His address on his marriage certificate was 15 Court 7 House Hurst Street, but he does not appear here in the 1911 census - in fact curiously the 1911 census has far fewer low numbers in Hurst Street than the 1891 census.
The name he used consistently in his marriage certificate, in registering the births of his children, in electoral registers and census records was Frederick Merrick, it was usually spelt like this. Sometimes there is a second and/or third christian name either Allen or Roger.
Where he has had to name his birthplace, he has said Birmingham. My best estimate is that he was born some time between 1883 and 1889, I know that he died in Birmingham in 1936 - I have his death certificate.
I have been using ancestry and findmypast but maybe he took a new name and I'll never find him. This post is a bit of a wild card, last ditch attempt to trace him.

hi annamk and welcome....sounds a difficult one but some of our members will be only to glad to try and help especially as you have done so much research yourself and hit a brick wall...fingers crossed...i will change the title of your thread and move it to the surname interests of the forum where you may receive more help

lyn

Hello,
I am new to this forum having stumbled across it in researching my late father's ancestors. I don't know if this request is ok to make here - if it is not then please moderators, accept my sincere apologies and delete it.
My late father's family came from Birmingham. In the 2nd half of the 19th century they lived and worked in the area around the bull ring in places like Smithfield Passage, Bath Passage, Vine Street. They worked as poultry dealers, hawkers, florists, tote clerks. I have traced the line of my paternal grandmother a few generations but I have hit a complete blank wall in finding my paternal grandfather anywhere before his July 1912 marriage to my paternal grandmother.
His address on his marriage certificate was 15 Court 7 House Hurst Street, but he does not appear here in the 1911 census - in fact curiously the 1911 census has far fewer low numbers in Hurst Street than the 1891 census.
The name he used consistently in his marriage certificate, in registering the births of his children, in electoral registers and census records was Frederick Merrick, it was usually spelt like this. Sometimes there is a second and/or third christian name either Allen or Roger.
Where he has had to name his birthplace, he has said Birmingham. My best estimate is that he was born some time between 1883 and 1889, I know that he died in Birmingham in 1936 - I have his death certificate.
I have been using ancestry and findmypast but maybe he took a new name and I'll never find him. This post is a bit of a wild card, last ditch attempt to trace him.
I have a Merrick in my family tree. I will have a look for you.

I have Pricilla Merrick born 1851> married Henry/Harry Hunt my G GT Grandfather in Birmingham 1865 She died in Birmingham 1900.
She was born in West Bromwich Staffs. She was 30 in 1881. I have no information about her parents

Thank you. I have wondered if my grandfather might have changed his surname to his mother's maiden name because I found another relative who did that when he went to prison ! So I have tried the birth records with Hunt and Merrick but that yielded nothing. I'll keep looking though and thank you very much for trying to help me.

I see his father on his marriage is listed with the same name, which can be a little suspicious. And there doesn't seem to be any sign of an elder one.

Are the witnesses on his marriage any help?

Witnesses are
1642531832191.png
Emma Brislin is a relative (haven't checked exact relationship) to the bride Emily Brislin. No idea about the other witness.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Thank you. I have wondered if my grandfather might have changed his surname to his mother's maiden name because I found another relative who did that when he went to prison ! So I have tried the birth records with Hunt and Merrick but that yielded nothing. I'll keep looking though and thank you very much for trying to help me.
How do you know his Mother's maiden name? Have you found his parents' marriage? Sorry for the questions - just trying to get things straight in my head.

I don't think annamk was saying it was Hunt, I think annamk was just following on from cba's information on their own Merricks.

Hello,
re Hunt I was just following CBA's information.
As for the witnesses, Emma Brislin is Emily's mother but the other witness, Samuel Clark is not a name I've come across so I'll do some digging. Many thanks for that, it hadn't occurred to me to look at the witness names.

Back