• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

help please

john70

master brummie
My ggg, grandfather died in Dudley Rd. workhouse in 1874, and I am trying to find where he was buried. anyone any idea,s please.

John70 trying to find burial places is such a difficult task. Sadly if he died in the Workhouse he would probably be buried in a public grave with no headstone. Firstly find out what religon he was then possible burial grounds. I would think the most likely would be Witton opened in 1863. The other possibilities are Warstone Lane and if he were Non Conformists it may be Key Hill Cemetery in Hockley. The burial registers are all on Microfilm at Birmingham Library but they are difficult to read so try and get as much information as possible before you start your search. Good Luck
Moma P

Thankyou moma P. for your information. Next time in up in Brum I will call in the library and see if I can find anything out. Nice to know where to look. Regards. John Haylor.

Hi John.
Came across this thread today,Did you get the info you wanted, if not see below.....
Under "Where is it" it is not Bromwall Rd but not far from there!
Pete

Hi. Pete. Yes thanks, I got the info. I wanted some time ago now, it was 18 months ago when I put the request on here. I do have Thomas,s death cert. and a map of Witton cemetery, but thanks anyway. Is it Beauchamp Road then?. John 70.

lucy harrington.

could anyone help please. i am trying to find out where my dads aunt is buried. her name was lucy harrington b 1914 birmingham died 1985 birmingham. i am afraid its not much to go on as i dont even know the area where she was living at the time of death. but possably the newtown/aston/handsworth areas. thanks very much. wales.

Name:
Lucy HarringtonBirth Date:13 Jun 1914Death Registration Month/Year:Mar 1985Age at death (estimated):70Registration district:BirminghamInferred County:WarwickshireVolume:32Page:1754
Would this be her? The death cert will probably tell you her last address,and who notified the death.

hi ladylinda. thank you ever so much for this info. the ages from birth to death match up but the only info i have different from yours is that while you have her born 13th june 1914 according to the free bmd she was born in sept 1914 ref 6d 536. do you know if sept would be the date her birth was registered as i know my own dad who was born in jan was not registered until the april. other than that i would say they are one and the same and i think copies of both certs will have to be obtained. wales.

The Birth, Marriage and Death registers are grouped in quarters of the year, Jan Feb Mar; Apr May Jun; Jul Aug Sep; Oct Nov Dec. A birth in mid-June registered early July would appear in the 3rd quarter, referred to as September.
Her death registration of March could be for a death in early December. The certificates are the only true records of actual dates.

ah i see Lloyd. thanks very much i knew about the 4 quarters but i didnt know that that was how its worked out sometimes. never to old to learn. wales

Back