• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help please.

G G Jean

Brummy Wench.
I require your help please with how to feed someone vegetarian?. Please don't say omit the meat as I have just been informed that my grandaughters friend who is coming away with us next week never eats meat. I had everything planned loads for a BBQ MEAT planning hot pork and stuffing rolls and beef rolls for mid day. We will be eating out a couple of times but have never cooked vegi dinners. I do know she loves pizas so I can make the dough when we get there. My grandchildren are easy to please and I usually do the same thing for all of us with a choice of veg. Your help PLEASE and the simpler the better as I will be cooking in the caravan. Jean.

Hi Jean, My daughter and family never eat meat, they love fish, unless the
young lady is vegean, dont think Ive spelled that right, Namoi loves tuna
bakes and all that stuff, even fish fingers, they go on thrBBQ, they all came last Sunday for lunch and I got some Dover sole from Iceland it was quite nice., although I dont care for Icelands fish as a rule, I get Youngs or the
old favorite Birds Eye.Tell you what are nice McCain Rustike Wedges, I love them. Hope that helps, enjoy your little selves, Bernard

Hi Jean: Depends on how vegan this young lady is. As Bernard suggests fish is a good alternative if she does eat that. Cheese is a good thing and you can put the fish and the cheese together in a bun with a bit of tartar sauce. You can also look up on Google Vegetarian Pizza recipes. Those have things that
you can use instead of some of the usual pizza toppings.

Hope everything works out and that you have a great time.

Thanks Bernard. The only consolation is that she is staying with my daughter in law for the weekend before we go and Bev is going to suss out what she likes but I do like to be prepared. Another thing a true vegetarian will not eat food that is cooked alongside meat so the BBQ fish and meat is out. God forbid I hope she isn't a Vegan or I will end up having a nervous breakdown. Jean.

Jean,I am a vegetarian and so is my daughter in law.

When we have dinner I have the veggies the yorkshire but not the meat unless it is soya.
If your friend is into substitutes there are plenty out there
Quorn products in the supermarket that look like chicken breasts,etc
I don't eat too many substitutes,I used to use one called Beanfeast made of soya,you could get bolognese or chilli or just plain mince, but I have gone off that one.
I love Linda McCartney sausages,pies,burgers and lasagne all made with soya and Tesco do a great roast vegetable lasagne.
Someone who saw me eating a Linda McCartney sausage asked if they tasted like the real thing,how do I know I have never eaten a real sausage,but they are nice.
Eating these substitutes make it easier to eat with your family without making something completely different.
We all have Chicken dinners mine are not real,we have sausage and chips but mine are not real and so on,simple really.
A true vegetarian does not eat fish but I do.If you are worried about cooking her dishes next to meat use foil for hers.

Alberta thanks I am going to make a note of these. My son went vegi for a couple of years after watching upsetting footage in a slaughterhouse but he is now back to the meat thing. The person in question is my grandaughters best friend and is coming away with us next week. I will make sure she has a lovely time but I do worry so. Jean. Mike I will look into that in the morning. Thanks. Jean.

Last edited:
Hi ggjean, My son enjoys Shepherds pie made with Qourn mince, i fry onion in olive oil, add the mince and i also add a little veggie gravy granules, gives it a nicer flavour, let it simmer for a few minutes and then top with mash and a little grated cheese, serve with a selection of veg. the non veggies will eat this too. The same mince is very good with pasta, using a good pasta sauce. Ive used it for Chilli con carne too. by the way, my son insists on cheese suitable for vegetarians and i have buy stuff without geletine in it, it's animal based. Best of luck. Jackie

Thanks so much Williams. Pete bought some vegi grave granules this morning so that is a start. I will put that on my list for sure. Jean.

Hi Jean, My daughter and family never eat meat, they love fish, unless the
young lady is vegean, dont think Ive spelled that right, Namoi loves tuna
bakes and all that stuff, even fish fingers, they go on thrBBQ, they all came last Sunday for lunch and I got some Dover sole from Iceland it was quite nice., although I dont care for Icelands fish as a rule, I get Youngs or the
old favorite Birds Eye.Tell you what are nice McCain Rustike Wedges, I love them. Hope that helps, enjoy your little selves, Bernard

Bernard who is that Handsome gent in the photo

Mike thanks for that link only just had time to look into it properly and it's brilliant. Just what the doctor ordered. Jean.

Jean I'm a veggie, and I will just eat my meal without the meat. I do have a couple of recipes that non veggies enjoy with me.
Chilli
Fry the onion together with a stick of celery, chopped.
Add 1 teaspoon chilli powder and fry gently
I can of chopped tomatos
I can of red beans
I can baked beans
Stir and cook for abiout 20 mins
Serve either on Baked potato or boiled rice

Corn au Gratan
Layer until full in an oven proof dish:
Sliced potatos
Sliced cheese
Sliced onion
Corn
Salt and pepper to taste

Cook for a couple of hours at 150C

It is delicious, I usually serve it with a green salad and natural yogurt.

Have a good holiday.

Di thanks so much too. We are going shopping tomorrow for some of the ingrediants and the good news is she loves fish and chips and Bewdley have one of the best chippies around. Guess what the grandaughter can't stand fish shop food. Oh well can't win but with all your kind help I will try my very best. Actually looking forward to next week as I hope to make someone happy. Will keep you posted with photo's of a couple of happy teenagers. {Please}. Jean.

Back