• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Lily_Mae

master brummie
I have trouble tracing my direct ancestors family and would be interested in peoples thoughts. last firm census record was 1851

George Hudson - 35 Relationship: Head Occupation Sword Grinder. Lived with this wife Esther 35 and their children, William [15-Sword Grinder], Mary-14,George-11,James-8 plus lodger James Savage @ 35 Communication Row, Birmingham

It looks like George died young in 1860 [lung issues] and Esther same year slightly before [i havent got her death cert as yet].

So by 1861 -the younger children were living with the eldest son William Hudson b. 1835

Relationship: Head. Occupation Sword grinder/polisher. Resided with his wife Priscila and his siblings Mary-23 [Charwoman], George [Sword grinder and polisher], James-19, Esther-10 and Elizabeth -2 @ Latimer Street - Court - house2

By 1871 the situation is even murkier. I cannot trace William or his wife Priscilla [there is a death in a workhouse of a Priscilla Hudson of lung issues where the dates fit and nothing more]. There is a possibilty that his brother George/James is imprisoned and this is research I need to do, as if its the right chap he was in and out of prison all his life. First criminal Ive found in the family IF its him.

But the real query is with my Gt Gt Grandmother Esther who I dont think ever married. She lived with her sister Mary Ann Green and her family [although I can find no record of a marriage to Samuel Green]. And Esther did have a daughter Ann which is confirmed by Anns death certificate [died aged 2 of RIckets].

By 1881 she still lived with the Green Family although this time she has a son living her William, who she lived with until she died. Ive no idea why she never married, family legend is the father was a bloke from Southampton. I dont have much info other than the dynamics dont seem right. Mary Ann I think there is the possibility also had a child pre marriage in the workhouse when I was digging through Baptism records. Mary Ann was some 14 years her sister, I can see her as a mother figure and very close/protective if things turned bad when the parents died.

I think what I am asking is what do other people think about this. It just all feels off and something it not quite right.

William my Gt grandfather went on to marry and have 11 children of his own. So its not all bad and he looked after his mom until she died and 2 of his cousins [Albert Green was one] also lived with them. So things did become settled and all his children were hardworking and good people. my Granddad his son was very quiet and stoic but that generation was.

Im just after thoughts really and theories. Esther seemed such a sad character, Id like to know more.

Can't see anything unheard of in that situation. There could have been any number of reasons why Samuel & Mary didn't marry, including Samuel already being married.

And unmarried mothers were not uncommon, 3 of my 2xg grandparents were born to illegitimate mothers. They all went on to marry but I'm sure lots didn't.

I see Samuel Green is living on Latimer St in 1861 same as the Hudsons. Listed as single so unlikely to have been unable to marry Mary Ann because he was already married, possibly just couldn't afford it.

There are a number of newspaper articles for a George Hudson being arrested fin regards of counterfeit coin.

James seems to marry an Eliza Ann Peace and have a number of children, though the youngest 2, sometimes listed as Hudson, appear to be the children of a George Hipkiss.

Thank you. I missed that. I have entertained the though he may have been already married. But I cant even find death records for either Mary of Samuel as yet. Mary either as Hudson or as Green. Ill have to trawl through baptism records to see whether the children were baptised or not. I could not find one for my grandfather so may be not which may lean toward the family not being traditional for the time.

Birth cert for my gt grandfather

12 Jan 1875 • Back 83 Warstone Lane, Birmingham, Warwickshire, England, UK
Mother Esther Hudson occupation Laundress. Registered by Mary Ann Green (sister) of the same address. Father not listed. 23/02/1875. Birmingham - 6d v28 - BG

This branch of the family is so difficult to find info on. They obviously fell on hard times after the parents death in the 1860s. But Samual and mary were together for many years and had a lot of children.

I did get the marriage cert of my gt grandfather. He listed his father as Samuel Hudson. BUt its blank on his birth certificate. I know he was raised in the family as another child so would have been him as a father anyways, I kinda assumed he was ashamed and did not want it blank on his marriage certificate. Human touch. He also provided a home for 2 of his cousins later on. So I think it was a close knit family and were brothers rather than cousins.

I just wish I could find more information.

There are a number of newspaper articles for a George Hudson being arrested fin regards of counterfeit coin.

James seems to marry an Eliza Ann Peace and have a number of children, though the youngest 2, sometimes listed as Hudson, appear to be the children of a George Hipkiss.
Yes thats correct. James appears to have died in 1878. By 1881 she was head of the household and George Hopkiss down as a lodger. The later kids would have been his. I dont think the relationship lasted. As he is listed living elsewhere in a later census.

Can I suggest that after you have gone through the various indexes (such as the GRO, FreeBMD) search engines with the exact names you try with variants, etc, switched on? Then try silly things - I found one census with Priscilla clearly as 'Prissila' and Samuel as 'Sammual'. And that's before you get to transcription errors.

Also try searching the census with the children's names only as a group but without parents names. If you look at Commercial Directories for Street Addresses to link to a census, remember data can be 12 to 18 months out of date by the time it's printed.

Good Luck

I see Samuel Green is living on Latimer St in 1861 same as the Hudsons. Listed as single so unlikely to have been unable to marry Mary Ann because he was already married, possibly just couldn't afford it.
Yeah thats him. Occupation Fits Paviour and Cheshire Birth. - Macclesfield.

I think you can safely assume that the Priscilla Hudson who dies in 1866 is the wife of William. That she died in a workhouse might not mean she was 'in one', I think in that time you would also go to one if you were ill. Not totally certain.

Finding William's death is a little more problematic, William being more of a common name. Priscilla's death certificate might give some clues, if she was listed as a widow then obviously William died prior to 1866 or he might be the informant.

There are lots of possible death registrations for Samuel and Mary (Green) but which they are is anyone's guess. Burial records would be a cheaper option and try and spot a known address/abode.

Esther Hudson of Brass street born 1816 , burial on 5th February 1860 at Holy Trinity, Bordesley
Thank you but that Esther is a little too early. She may be an earlier connection but I’m looking in the 1860s and 1870s. My Esther i am ok with I have a lot of info about her and my gt granddad Even ww1 papers for him.

My second cousin was a Hudson...they lived on Porchester St.
Dave A
My lot were all in the Hockley area in the main, around heaton street until the 1950s when the back to backs were demolished and better council housing was introduced In other areas of the city.

Back