• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help Please: Lunatic Asylum, Fordrough ?Lane.

Brummie On Exmoor

master brummie
I have an ancestor, George EDMUNDS, born in Exeter Row in 1828, who was sentenced to Transportation in July 1849, but served his sentence instead on the Hulks and in the terrifying new prisons at Milbank and Pentonville.

Upon release, he returned home, married and found work in the Birmingham Gun trade. He died at the age of 46, in July 1874, and was buried in Warstone Lane.

I obtained his Death Certificate, which showed that he died of Cancer (12 months) in the Workhouse, Dudley Road (I assume in the Infirmary). However, I visited the Birmingham and Midland Institute last week and obtained his burial record from BMSGH records. This shows that his last residence was "Lunatic Asylum, Fordrough ?Lane". This has mystified me, because I understood that the Pauper Lunatic Asylum was the Winson Green/All Saints Asylum in Lodge Road.

Please can anyone throw any light upon this anomaly please?Does anyone know what this place may have been?

The only thing I can find on an old map (1887) is Saltley Reformatory (boys) - it seems to be the only building on Fordrough Lane. Perhaps he worked there?

Janice

Thank you both Janice and JH. I am beginning to think that the address is a compression of both where he was before he died - i.e. the Asylum - and his home address before he ended up in the Asylum, or even where his next of kin were located. There is nothing to indicate this on the entry, and the whole thing is closely written - for example it reads Fordrough and a squiggle that could be Lane or Street.

However, after some searching, I have now found his son lodging in Fordrough Street in 1881. He would only have been 19 when his father died, but was the only living relative. If he was lodging there in 1874, this could be the explanation.

Thank you again for your help everyone.

Best wishes,

Jane

Back