• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help please - Great Francis Street & Nechells Place

dwarfman

proper brummie kid
Hi all,
I'm trying to locate the exact houses on the streets where my great grandfather and GG grandmother lived in Aston/Nechells in the late 1890s and would appreciate your help please. I found the streets on the old maps and pictures of streets on this site but have no idea of house numbers.

No 4, court 1 Great Francis Street (1891 census Herbert & Mahalah Chester)
No 137 Nechells Place (1894 Mahalah death)

Regards
Steve

Below are two maps c1889, showing Court 1 Gt Francis St , and no 137 Nechells Place in red. I'm afraid I would not like to guess in what order the houses in Court 1 were numbered, though they would be consecutive as you went round.

map c1889 showing 137 Nechells Place.jpgmap c1889 showing court 1 Gt.Francis St.jpg

Hi Mike, One last request please before I compile the details to show my parents. Are you able to locate the exact houses for the following two addresses on the old maps and has anyone seen pictures of the road / houses - i'm unable to locate any from my searches on this site.

25 Sycamore Road, Aston (1920)
25 Pugh Road, Aston (1922 electoral register)

Much appreciated and regards
Steve :)

hi steve hope you located the photos of nechells place that are on this site

lyn

I take it you meant the Sycamore road joined to Pugh road, as there is another Sycamore Road off Soho Road. The map c 1951 below shows 25 Sycamore Road in red, and 25 Pugh Road in blue.

map c1951 showing 25 sycamore road and 25 Pugh Road, Aston.jpg

Wonderful, you got the correct streets Mike.
Many thanks for your help in locating several maps and exact house locations.
Regards
Steve

Hi all,
I'm trying to locate the exact houses on the streets where my great grandfather and GG grandmother lived in Aston/Nechells in the late 1890s and would appreciate your help please. I found the streets on the old maps and pictures of streets on this site but have no idea of house numbers.

No 4, court 1 Great Francis Street (1891 census Herbert & Mahalah Chester)
No 137 Nechells Place (1894 Mahalah death)

Regards
Steve
Dear Steve,My Grand parents lived at 137 Nechells Place,taken from 1922 census Family name ALLEN

Back