• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help Needed Re Father's Occupation Please.

bewdley

master brummie
Hi

I have recently come across this birth registration of my paternal great grandmother Helena Margaret Doyle.

As you will see her birth was registered in Dublin in 1864 and it is her father's occupation which is puzzling me. His occupation is described as a Saddler Corporal Military and what looks like PAIN to me. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be please?

Thanks bewdley

Attachments

• birth of Helena Margaret Doyle 4 July 1864 daughter of John and Eleanor Doyne nee Horan.jpg
    birth of Helena Margaret Doyle 4 July 1864 daughter of John and Eleanor Doyne nee Horan.jpg
    231.9 KB · Views: 23
Hi

I have recently come across this birth registration of my paternal great grandmother Helena Margaret Doyle.

As you will see her birth was registered in Dublin in 1864 and it is her father's occupation which is puzzling me. His occupation is described as a Saddler Corporal Military and what looks like PAIN to me. Does anyone have any ideas as to what it might be please?

Thanks bewdley

Last edited:
Hi

Thanks bewdley
I have a hunch about this Bewdley.
The mystery word could well be "Train", as in "Column".

From my experience of looking at war diaries I think the word is train. A military 'train' in this instance would have been a train of horses. When the horses were moved around together it was referred to as a train. Viv.

Yes - pretty certainly Train. This is part of a description of a medal for sale on the London Medal Company web site:
the other, a Corporal Saddler with the 18th Divisional Train

I've been "having a dig", Bewdley !
The "Military Train", around the time of the Crimean War, was the name given to a forerunner of the Army Service Corps.

Well Jukebox, Maypole Baz and Vivienne 14, what can I say I’ve been looking at this for most of the day and didn’t think of train at all. But yes it’s one of those light bulb moments, when you can see exactly what it says when someone else points it out.

Thank you all so much and for the extra information. bewdley

Back