• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HELP NEEDED PLEASE

I was looking for the war diary but at the moment it seems to stop in 1917. 1/5th btn became part of the 48th (South Midland) division - this clip outlines their movement in 1918 and where they were in November.
1601815662316.png

Thank you MWS, I'm confused, was my grandmother a Faunt or a Jervis?

I've remembered an old post of mine from 2011 re the Faunt family,

1939 reg has them at 3 Denaby Grove Yardley wood
View attachment 148738

I can see the name of Grandads second wife as Florence, I can see there that Moms sister Nancy is shown with her married name to (Douglas) Sturgess and also Mums married name to (Arthur) Newey but they can't all have been living there as far as I know as Mum & Dad lived with Dads Mum when first married, also in Yardley Wood

It shows 3rd Oct as my Mothers birth but we were sure it was the 2nd, A question mark for Grandad's birth of course.

I think from the post your grandmother was born a Jervis and it was her Mother (your Gt Grandmother) who was a Faunt.

That explains it, thank you, I wonder if the Jervis family were wealthy as were the Faunts? if so it could explain why they must have disapproved of Marion Jervis marrying common labourer Grandad and shunned him after the death of Marion.

I was looking for the war diary but at the moment it seems to stop in 1917. 1/5th btn became part of the 48th (South Midland) division - this clip outlines their movement in 1918 and where they were in November.

Thank you pimburns, that's even more interesting info, it explains how he came to be in Austria.

As a child I used to look at his set of medals in a big frame on the wall, it was all beautifully embroidered with the Antelope mascot. I was given the medals but never discovered what happened to the picture. I was also fascinated by some huge glass domes containing humming birds and giant insects brought back from Brazil, where those ended up I've no idea either.

Yes, it was your great grandmother who was Annie Elizabeth Faunt and she married Herbert Jervis.

Herbert was listed as a grocer in 1911.

Frank and his wife Florence plus the 2 girls were there when the register was taken in Sept 1939. The register continued to be updated as girls got married hence their married names showing. When did your Mom marry?

Herbert was b1869 Lichfield (registered as Jarvis). Father was James an agricultural labourer in 1881.

Annie's father Frederick was a cabinet maker and they must have travelled a bit because 2 of Annie's siblings were born in Brazil. Frederick was born in Lincolnshire the son of a wheelwright.

Frank and his wife Florence plus the 2 girls were there when the register was taken in Sept 1939. The register continued to be updated as girls got married hence their married names showing. When did your Mom marry?

Not sure, probably 1943/4 but it was during the war as dad has his RAF uniform on and had been given special short leave, mum then went with him to a remote airfield base somewhere, possibly in the Orkneys, dad was an aircraft electrician on Lancasters & also Blenheims I think.
He died 5 years ago aged 96 and towards the end told me some of the things that went on inc an incredible error made by his superior that could have destroyed the whole base.

Herbert was b1869 Lichfield (registered as Jarvis). Father was James an agricultural labourer in 1881.

Annie's father Frederick was a cabinet maker and they must have travelled a bit because 2 of Annie's siblings were born in Brazil. Frederick was born in Lincolnshire the son of a wheelwright.

This is really fascinating so thank you all who are contributing, I wonder how they came to be in Brazil because they were obviously wealthy by then.
Aunt Rose Faunt was a regular visitor, we never saw Alec, she told us they had numerous servants and lived in a huge house. This is where Frederick organised or built the first railway across Brazil according to our family knowledge. Other than Aunt Rose's account then how much of the railway building is correct i have no idea.

Last edited:
Back