• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help Needed Please

Hello Irene,

Yes, from memory there was an Edith Cadman in Couchman Road, but I'm just off to bed and I will check tomorrow, find the marriage and confirm her maiden name. That should enable us to find Susan's birth/death if either was registered.

Maurice
Thank you so much Maurice.

Irene,

Edith E. Scattergood married John Cadman in 1937 and they lived at 102 Couchman Road. Seven children with the surname CADMAN and mother's Maiden name of SCATTERGOOD were born in Birmingham between 1938 and 1948 - Margaret E., Pauline M., John M., Brian P., Keith W., David H., and Malcolm J. However, there is no matching birth for a Susan with a mother's maiden name of SCATTERGOOD. I have already stated in post #12 that there is no suitable death registered either.

That makes it almost impossible to track the last resting place of Susan. Cemetery records are in the Library of Birmingham, but we don't even have an accurate year. But I can tell you that she is NOT buried at Handsworth, Key Hill, Warstone Lane. or Witton. The other Birmingham cemeteries are not available online. So you can't get a death certificate to find out where she died. Possibly one of the children mentioned in my first paragraph are still alive, and might know more, but I am not going down that route on open forum for privacy reasons.

Maurice

hi maurice well that takes the susan cadman b 1956 birm mmn hughes that i found earlier out of the frame

lyn

Quite, Lyn, I've even checked for Susan Scattergood in case there was any hanky panky going on, but Edith is quite innocent and there is no young Susan Scattergood death in the 1950s either. If there was no birth or death registered, how did Irene come to hear of this child? Just curious.....

Maurice

Irene,

Edith E. Scattergood married John Cadman in 1937 and they lived at 102 Couchman Road. Seven children with the surname CADMAN and mother's Maiden name of SCATTERGOOD were born in Birmingham between 1938 and 1948 - Margaret E., Pauline M., John M., Brian P., Keith W., David H., and Malcolm J. However, there is no matching birth for a Susan with a mother's maiden name of SCATTERGOOD. I have already stated in post #12 that there is no suitable death registered either.

That makes it almost impossible to track the last resting place of Susan. Cemetery records are in the Library of Birmingham, but we don't even have an accurate year. But I can tell you that she is NOT buried at Handsworth, Key Hill, Warstone Lane. or Witton. The other Birmingham cemeteries are not available online. So you can't get a death certificate to find out where she died. Possibly one of the children mentioned in my first paragraph are still alive, and might know more, but I am not going down that route on open forum for privacy reasons.

Maurice
Hi Maurice.Thank you so much.Margaret Pauline and Malcolm are still alive.I've asked Malcolm but he doesn't know that's why I was hopeing someone could help me on here.Thank you so much for your help.Irene

Quite, Lyn, I've even checked for Susan Scattergood in case there was any hanky panky going on, but Edith is quite innocent and there is no young Susan Scattergood death in the 1950s either. If there was no birth or death registered, how did Irene come to hear of this child? Just curious.....

Maurice
Hi Maurice.I came to hear of Susan has Malcolm is my best friends brother-in-law we was talking on Thursday and he mentioned Susan and said he would like to know where her resting place is.Irene

Hi Irene,

So a family "legend"that you are trying to prove - we all have at least one of those.If you're close to the Library of Birmingham, then the other four Birmingham cemeteries are on microfilm up until 1970 and in years followed by the first letter of the surname. There is no index other than that and all are handwritten, some not easy to decipher. BMSGH indexed and digitised the ones that I have mentioned and they are online as a huge pdf file, but I've already checked that.

Failing that, if Edith was living in Couchman Road throughout the 1950s, you could find the nearest churches on Google Streetview and check the parish burials in the Library of Birmingham for those churches. I wish you luck and you'll probably need some!

Maurice

Hi Irene,

So a family "legend"that you are trying to prove - we all have at least one of those.If you're close to the Library of Birmingham, then the other four Birmingham cemeteries are on microfilm up until 1970 and in years followed by the first letter of the surname. There is no index other than that and all are handwritten, some not easy to decipher. BMSGH indexed and digitised the ones that I have mentioned and they are online as a huge pdf file, but I've already checked that.

Failing that, if Edith was living in Couchman Road throughout the 1950s, you could find the nearest churches on Google Streetview and check the parish burials in the Library of Birmingham for those churches. I wish you luck and you'll probably need some!

Maurice
Hi Maurice.Thank's for all your help I will keep you intouch with the update.I do appreciate all your help.Irene

My sister in law was born Susan Cadman - in the 50s, but lived considerably more than 6 days - she's still alive, in fact. Born and raised in Erdington, Birmingham. Mothers maiden name was Spiers.

Back