• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help Needed Please

irene floyd

master brummie
Hi I'm looking for the resting place of Susan Cadman Born 1950s She Lived For 6 Day's I Think But Not 100% On This.Thank's Irene

someone else may do better but i can only find 1 birth for a susan A cadman...mmn hughes born birm 1956...i can find no death for her or any other susan cadman during the 50s

lyn

Irene,

The only Susan Cadman that I can see with both birth & death registrations around the 1950s is this one:

Susan J CADMAN - mother's maiden name was HEATH

Born 1st Qtr 1963 Coventry - Vol 9c Page 1395

Died 1st Qtr 1963 Coventry - Vol 9c Page 1095.

As to where she was buried, there are several Cemeteries and a Cremetorium. Perhaps this information will help

https://www.coventry.org.uk/local/Society_and_Culture/Funerals/Cemeteries_and_Crematoria/

I hope that will help. I'm sorry but I don't know which church cemeteries were still taking burials at that time, if any. It might be advisable to get one of the certificates above to find out where the parents lived in Coventry, if you don't already know.

EDIT: Can't see anything on Billion Graves, Find-a-Grave, or the British Library Newspaper Archive for this one.

Maurice

Last edited:
hi maurice i was assuming that susan cadman was born birmingham but maybe irene can confirm this or not as the case maybe

lyn

Hi Lyn,

I hope you're feeling better now. Irene didn't exactly say where she was born (if she knows), only that she lived a mere 6 days. That was the only one that I could see over a 20 year timescale that had both birth & death registered so close together. Many of these infant deaths have only the birth or death recorded, so I could be completely wrong, of course! Always sad occasions for the parents. Some get headstones, some want to put it behind them, but not forget it. Was the child born in hospital or at home - only the certificate will show that.

Maurice

hi maurice yes thank you feeling better now but still not overdoing things hope you are feeling better now as well..as posted i could only find that 1 birth in birmingham in 1956..cant find any deaths

lyn

Much better thanks, Lyn, and that's the end of all the diagnostic for about six weeks, thank goodness. We'll just have to wait until Irene reappears then!

Maurice

Irene,

The only Susan Cadman that I can see with both birth & death registrations around the 1950s is this one:

Susan J CADMAN - mother's maiden name was HEATH

Born 1st Qtr 1963 Coventry - Vol 9c Page 1395

Died 1st Qtr 1963 Coventry - Vol 9c Page 1095.

As to where she was buried, there are several Cemeteries and a Cremetorium. Perhaps this information will help

https://www.coventry.org.uk/local/Society_and_Culture/Funerals/Cemeteries_and_Crematoria/

I hope that will help. I'm sorry but I don't know which church cemeteries were still taking burials at that time, if any. It might be advisable to get one of the certificates above to find out where the parents lived in Coventry, if you don't already know.

EDIT: Can't see anything on Billion Graves, Find-a-Grave, or the British Library Newspaper Archive for this one.

Maurice
Thank's Maurice

Hi Irene
could she be related to the cadmans family of Aston at one time they lived on park lane aston during up until at least the 1959
I beleive there was an Alfred Cadman a family member within the family
they was in the court yards in those days best wishes Astonian,,,,

Hi Irene
could she be related to the cadmans family of Aston at one time they lived on park lane aston during up until at least the 1959
I beleive there was an Alfred Cadman a family member within the family
they was in the court yards in those days best wishes Astonian,,,,
Hi Lyn.No I don't think so I believe they alway's lived at Alum Rock.Irene

Irene,

Possibly the birth wasn't registered, as death occurred before the parents had a chance. If the death occurred in a hospital, then a copy of the death certificate would have found its way to the local registrar and they could not have avoided registering that. So we're looking for a Susan Cadman who was 0 years old at death.

Maurice

Irene,

I hate to tell you, but the youngest Susan Cadman to die between 1946 and 1966, other than the one I have mentioned, is in Essex and was six years old. What was the child's mother's maiden name?

Maurice

Irene,

Do you know the parent's names? Plenty of CADMANs on the Electoral Rolls in Birmingham, but I can't see any in back houses in Alum Rock only in the Belgrave Road area of Balsall Heath and Aston.

Maurice

Hi Irene and maurice
I am incline to beleive you maurice as i know it was aston where this young lad lived
and there was a couple of friends of his
whom name was george wood, and another lad local to him whom is surname was Mcraigh
they lived on park lane i cannot recall the numbers
but i do know there was court yards and terraces where they lived
and it was opesite the coal yard and the shoe shop with the big advertisement with the
big poster of a boot out side and the number eight bus stop out side the premises
and they was just along on the oppersite side of the black horse pub
and it was just along from the retreat , there was houses and terraces facing those shops
and there was a big terrace next to the cobblers shop next to the hoarding
but there again it very well have been nechells because he was a friend of brian whills
whom also lived off the nechells park road , but i am 80 pecent sure it was park lane
1958.9 that they was there or just short of the late fifty
best wishes Astonian,, Alan,,,

Hi Alan,

I hope you're keeping well. I'm only playing the role of researcher here, and presumably in the 1950s Alum Road largely fell in the Saltley Ward as it wasn't a Ward in its own right. To add to my difficulties, it's not an area I knew well as from the age of 4 I lived on the south side of the city - Sparkhill & Kings Heath. I can only look at addresses and think that that doesn't look like a back house to me, and I was born in one! So I'll see if Irene manages to come back with the parents names.

All the best, Maurice.

Hello Irene,

Yes, from memory there was an Edith Cadman in Couchman Road, but I'm just off to bed and I will check tomorrow, find the marriage and confirm her maiden name. That should enable us to find Susan's birth/death if either was registered.

Maurice

Hello Irene,

Yes, from memory there was an Edith Cadman in Couchman Road, but I'm just off to bed and I will check tomorrow, find the marriage and confirm her maiden name. That should enable us to find Susan's birth/death if either was registered.

Maurice
Thank you so much Maurice.

Irene,

Edith E. Scattergood married John Cadman in 1937 and they lived at 102 Couchman Road. Seven children with the surname CADMAN and mother's Maiden name of SCATTERGOOD were born in Birmingham between 1938 and 1948 - Margaret E., Pauline M., John M., Brian P., Keith W., David H., and Malcolm J. However, there is no matching birth for a Susan with a mother's maiden name of SCATTERGOOD. I have already stated in post #12 that there is no suitable death registered either.

That makes it almost impossible to track the last resting place of Susan. Cemetery records are in the Library of Birmingham, but we don't even have an accurate year. But I can tell you that she is NOT buried at Handsworth, Key Hill, Warstone Lane. or Witton. The other Birmingham cemeteries are not available online. So you can't get a death certificate to find out where she died. Possibly one of the children mentioned in my first paragraph are still alive, and might know more, but I am not going down that route on open forum for privacy reasons.

Maurice

hi maurice well that takes the susan cadman b 1956 birm mmn hughes that i found earlier out of the frame

lyn

Quite, Lyn, I've even checked for Susan Scattergood in case there was any hanky panky going on, but Edith is quite innocent and there is no young Susan Scattergood death in the 1950s either. If there was no birth or death registered, how did Irene come to hear of this child? Just curious.....

Maurice

Irene,

Edith E. Scattergood married John Cadman in 1937 and they lived at 102 Couchman Road. Seven children with the surname CADMAN and mother's Maiden name of SCATTERGOOD were born in Birmingham between 1938 and 1948 - Margaret E., Pauline M., John M., Brian P., Keith W., David H., and Malcolm J. However, there is no matching birth for a Susan with a mother's maiden name of SCATTERGOOD. I have already stated in post #12 that there is no suitable death registered either.

That makes it almost impossible to track the last resting place of Susan. Cemetery records are in the Library of Birmingham, but we don't even have an accurate year. But I can tell you that she is NOT buried at Handsworth, Key Hill, Warstone Lane. or Witton. The other Birmingham cemeteries are not available online. So you can't get a death certificate to find out where she died. Possibly one of the children mentioned in my first paragraph are still alive, and might know more, but I am not going down that route on open forum for privacy reasons.

Maurice
Hi Maurice.Thank you so much.Margaret Pauline and Malcolm are still alive.I've asked Malcolm but he doesn't know that's why I was hopeing someone could help me on here.Thank you so much for your help.Irene

Quite, Lyn, I've even checked for Susan Scattergood in case there was any hanky panky going on, but Edith is quite innocent and there is no young Susan Scattergood death in the 1950s either. If there was no birth or death registered, how did Irene come to hear of this child? Just curious.....

Maurice
Hi Maurice.I came to hear of Susan has Malcolm is my best friends brother-in-law we was talking on Thursday and he mentioned Susan and said he would like to know where her resting place is.Irene

Hi Irene,

So a family "legend"that you are trying to prove - we all have at least one of those.If you're close to the Library of Birmingham, then the other four Birmingham cemeteries are on microfilm up until 1970 and in years followed by the first letter of the surname. There is no index other than that and all are handwritten, some not easy to decipher. BMSGH indexed and digitised the ones that I have mentioned and they are online as a huge pdf file, but I've already checked that.

Failing that, if Edith was living in Couchman Road throughout the 1950s, you could find the nearest churches on Google Streetview and check the parish burials in the Library of Birmingham for those churches. I wish you luck and you'll probably need some!

Maurice

Hi Irene,

So a family "legend"that you are trying to prove - we all have at least one of those.If you're close to the Library of Birmingham, then the other four Birmingham cemeteries are on microfilm up until 1970 and in years followed by the first letter of the surname. There is no index other than that and all are handwritten, some not easy to decipher. BMSGH indexed and digitised the ones that I have mentioned and they are online as a huge pdf file, but I've already checked that.

Failing that, if Edith was living in Couchman Road throughout the 1950s, you could find the nearest churches on Google Streetview and check the parish burials in the Library of Birmingham for those churches. I wish you luck and you'll probably need some!

Maurice
Hi Maurice.Thank's for all your help I will keep you intouch with the update.I do appreciate all your help.Irene

My sister in law was born Susan Cadman - in the 50s, but lived considerably more than 6 days - she's still alive, in fact. Born and raised in Erdington, Birmingham. Mothers maiden name was Spiers.

Back