• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help Needed Please

Hi everyone, my apologies if this is the incorrect thread to use for this request, I'm very new at all of this. I'm hoping that someboby maybe able to help, I'm trying to trace a death record for a Kenneth (Kenny) Wilkes born in c1949 in Birmingham his parents were Rose Wilkes (nee Harris) and Thomas Wilkes, I understand he was in his 30s when he was killed in a hit and run accident near to Heartlands Hospital - any help would be greatly appreciated.

The only death registered in Birmingham is for a Kenneth John Wilkes in July 1995. Dob is listed as 21st June 1948.

There is a birth registered for Kenneth J Harris in 1949 Birmingham, mmn Harris.

There is a slight discrepancy with the year of birth between the two but there are no others that I can see.

and i found this one but the dates are off the mark....do you know if kenneth was married??

Name: Kenneth Leslie Wilkes
Birth Date: 30 Aug 1932
Date of Registration: Mar 1981
Age at Death: 48
Registration district: Birmingham
Inferred County: West Midlands
Volume: 32
Page: 1523

My grandparents were named Rose and Thomas Wilkes, but they didn't have a son called Kenneth.

Could anyone help me.Im looking for a marriage of Joseph Guest born 1840 not sure if his wife is Margaret ??? I think they had a son Joseph George Guest born 1868 not sure of any other children.
I believe this Joseph Guest born in 1840 was my great grandfather. The son born in 1867/68 was my grandfather who I never met as he died before I was born. I believe he was married twice and it was his second marriage to Florence West in 1918 that produced my father George Joseph Guest in 1919. Tony Guest

I believe this Joseph Guest born in 1840 was my great grandfather. The son born in 1867/68 was my grandfather who I never met as he died before I was born. I believe he was married twice and it was his second marriage to Florence West in 1918 that produced my father George Joseph Guest in 1919. Tony Guest
Tony welcome to the Forum, enjoy!

The Joseph Guest, b1867 Netherton son of the Joseph and Margaret Guest mentioned above married a Lydia Jacobs in 1887 and was still with her at the time of the 1939 register.

The Joseph Guest, b1867 Netherton son of the Joseph and Margaret Guest mentioned above married a Lydia Jacobs in 1887 and was still with her at the time of the 1939 register.
That means the information I was given is incorrect. My father had little information about his father other than he was married before his marriage to my grandmother (Florence West) in 1918 and that he shared my birthday of 20th March. My father also had some recollection that he may have been related to the Joseph Guest who donated the monies in 1871 for the building of the Dudley Guest hospital.

On the 1939 register his dob is listed as 20 Mar 1862. It is possible he was previously married to an Elizabeth and had 5 or 6 children. On his marriage to her, his father is listed as Joseph and there is a possible death for her in 1911.

However, I can't tie him to anyone definite before his marriage. I thought he may have been born Joseph Spencer Guest, whose father was a Joseph but his dob is different.

Needs more looking/info.

Though probably ruled out by dob, I'm fairly certain I've ruled out Joseph Spencer Palmer again. He possibly dies in 1932.

Which leaves me at a bit of a loss. Joseph & Florence seem to be living in Garbett St maybe, before moving to Hilderstone Road.

My best guess for your Joseph Guest is a Joseph Collet Guest born 1862 Dudley.

He was the son of an Isaac Guest and Sarah Collett and registered in Jun qtr 1862 which would fit with his dob. He was married previously and was widowed by 1901. Unfortunately, I can't see him in 1911 atm but he doesn't seem to have died between 1901 and 1911. I think I can rule out all the other local Joseph Guests.

And whilst his father was not called Joseph, both his grandfathers were.

Another slight thing in favour of this Joseph Guest is that 2 of his daughters were living in Ladywood in 1911.

Last edited:
And not only that but his eldest daughter from his first marriage (Edith Emily McNarney) is living on King Edwards Road when it appears your Joseph and Florence are living on Garbett St.

Garbett St crosses King Edwards Road.

My best guess for your Joseph Guest is a Joseph Collet Guest born 1862 Dudley.

He was the son of an Isaac Guest and Sarah Collett and registered in Jun qtr 1862 which would fit with his dob. He was married previously and was widowed by 1901. Unfortunately, I can't see him in 1911 atm but he doesn't seem to have died between 1901 and 1911. I think I can rule out all the other local Joseph Guests.

And whilst his father was not called Joseph, both his grandfathers were.

Another slight thing in favour of this Joseph Guest is that 2 of his daughters were living in Ladywood in 1911.
Thank you for your help. I’m now certain my grandfather was Joseph Collett Guest as everything fits it with what my father told me: He shared my date of birth, March 20, he was previously married and he was in his 80s when he died in 1944 whilst my dad was abroad in WW2. I know for certain they lived in Hilderstone Road. I remember visiting it at the age of 3 in 1959 shortly before my grandmother Florence died.

Thank you for your help. I’m now certain my grandfather was Joseph Collett Guest as everything fits it with what my father told me: He shared my date of birth, March 20, he was previously married and he was in his 80s when he died in 1944 whilst my dad was abroad in WW2. I know for certain they lived in Hilderstone Road. I remember visiting it at the age of 3 in 1959 shortly before my grandmother Florence died.
Do you have any information on the 2 daughters shown in 1911. From what I can deduce so far my grandfather’s first marriage might have been to Emily Dora Hendley who died in 1901 and I’ve found reference to a Jessie M Guest. My father said he had 3 elder stepsister’s but he never mentioned their names. Many thanks

As I said Joseph Collett Guest is my best guess. His marriage certificate to Florence may confirm or deny it.

He did marry Emily Dora Hendley, she died in 1893.

Children were Edith Emily b1886, Jessie Elizabeth b1888, Lizzie Maria b1891, Annie Lavinia b & d 1893, so 3 sisters would probably match your father's recollections.

Edith Emily married a Richard Wesley McNarney and it is her and Lizzie who are in Ladywood in 1911 and also Edith who is subsequently living on St Edwards Road. She died in 1963.

As I said Joseph Collett Guest is my best guess. His marriage certificate to Florence may confirm or deny it.

He did marry Emily Dora Hendley, she died in 1893.

Children were Edith Emily b1886, Jessie Elizabeth b1888, Lizzie Maria b1891, Annie Lavinia b & d 1893, so 3 sisters would probably match your father's recollections.

Edith Emily married a Richard Wesley McNarney and it is her and Lizzie who are in Ladywood in 1911 and also Edith who is subsequently living on St Edwards Road. She died in 1963.
Thanks so much. It looks a possibility that the mother died whilst delivering the child as both deaths were in 1893.

Sorry misread the date for Annie's death. It was 1895, so she survived the birth.

Annie's birth was registered in the Sep qtr and Emily's death was registered the Dec qtr of 1893 so still a possibility but not certain. Possibly complications resulting from rather than in childbirth?

And whilst Jessie was registered as Jessie Elizabeth it looks as if she was Jessie Maria. It appears she had an illegitimate son in 1910 before marry a George Percival Fowler and then after he died in 1914, a George Henry Hill. No more children I don't think.

Back