• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Help Needed Please

irene floyd

master brummie
Could anyone help me.Im looking for a marriage of Joseph Guest born 1840 not sure if his wife is Margaret ??? I think they had a son Joseph George Guest born 1868 not sure of any other children.

is this them irene on the 1871 census with 4 children..3 eldest children all born in netherton..youngest in birmingham so i dont think the marriage took place in birmingham..wife margaret born in pensnett

lyn

Name: Joseph Guest
Estimated birth year: abt 1840
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Margaret Guest
Where born: Netherton, Worcestershire, England
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Martin
Town: Birmingham
County/Island: Warwickshire
Registration district: Birmingham
Sub-registration district: St Martin
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Household schedule number: 278
Piece: 3106
Folio: 81
Page Number: 44
Household Members:
Name
Margaret Guest 31
Sarah J Guest 9
Mary Guest 5
Joseph Guest 4
Susannah Guest 2
Source Citation

Class: RG10; Piece: 3106; Folio: 81; Page: 44; GSU roll: 839574

Source Information

Last edited:
There's a birth registered for a Joseph George Guest in Sep qtr 1868, Bham and a possible twin brother, William Henry. Though it appears they both died before 1871. That's the only registration for a Joseph George Guest, other registrations could have omitted a middle name.

The above Joseph George was the son of Joseph Guest b1841 and Mary Eliza Jane Inchley.

is this them irene on the 1871 census with 4 children..3 eldest children all born in netherton..youngest in birmingham so i dont think the marriage took place in birmingham..wife margaret born in pensnett

lyn

Name: Joseph Guest
Estimated birth year: abt 1840
Relation: Head
Spouse's Name: Margaret Guest
Where born: Netherton, Worcestershire, England
Civil Parish: Birmingham
Ecclesiastical parish: St Martin
Town: Birmingham
County/Island: Warwickshire
Registration district: Birmingham
Sub-registration district: St Martin
ED, institution, or vessel: 21
Household schedule number: 278
Piece: 3106
Folio: 81
Page Number: 44
Household Members:
Name
Margaret Guest 31
Sarah J Guest 9
Mary Guest 5
Joseph Guest 4
Susannah Guest 2
Source Citation

Class: RG10; Piece: 3106; Folio: 81; Page: 44; GSU roll: 839574

Source Information
Thank's Lyn this does seem to be them.Irene x

There's a birth registered for a Joseph George Guest in Sep qtr 1868, Bham and a possible twin brother, William Henry. Though it appears they both died before 1871. That's the only registration for a Joseph George Guest, other registrations could have omitted a middle name.

The above Joseph George was the son of Joseph Guest b1841 and Mary Eliza Jane Inchley.
Thank's for your help.Irene x

ok irene if you are happy we have the correct joseph and margaret they stayed in birmingham from 1871 up until the 1911 census by which time they had moved to wednesbury...census says they had 10 children...3 of which died 7 still living

lyn

ok irene if you are happy we have the correct joseph and margaret they stayed in birmingham from 1871 up until the 1911 census by which time they had moved to wednesbury...census says they had 10 children...3 of which died 7 still living

lyn
Hi Lyn.Can you give me the name of the children that died.Thanks Irene

hi irene right now i do not know the names of the children who died..it would take a bit more research on ancestry and i am tad busy at the min but if no one else finds them for you i will take a look when i can

lyn

Dear Irene
details for the marriage:
12/09/1861 St Edmond, Dudley
Joseph Guest, son of Joseph Guest
Margaret Payne, daughter of Thomas Payne
regards
Andy Parkes

Sarah Jane - Mar qtr 1862, Dudley
Hannah - Mar qtr 1864, Dudley
Mary - Jun qtr 1865, Dudley
Joseph - Mar qtr 1867, Dudley
Susannah - Dec qtr 1869, Bham
George - Mar qtr 1872, Bham
Emma - Mar qtr 1874, Bham
Eliza - Mar qtr 1876, Bham
Alfred - Mar qtr 1878, Bham
Margaret - Jun qtr 1881, Bham

Hannah possibly died in 1865, reg Sep qtr Dudley
Emma possibly died in 1875, reg Sep qtr Bham
Alfred possibly died in 1880, reg Jun qtr Bham

Eliza & Margaret possibly married brothers, Herbert & George Parker

hi MWS yes i would say those deaths are correct as hannah is not on the 71 and emma and alfred not on the 81

lyn

Sarah Jane - Mar qtr 1862, Dudley
Hannah - Mar qtr 1864, Dudley
Mary - Jun qtr 1865, Dudley
Joseph - Mar qtr 1867, Dudley
Susannah - Dec qtr 1869, Bham
George - Mar qtr 1872, Bham
Emma - Mar qtr 1874, Bham
Eliza - Mar qtr 1876, Bham
Alfred - Mar qtr 1878, Bham
Margaret - Jun qtr 1881, Bham
Thank you so much x

Sarah Jane married William Hughes (b1859 Walsall), reg Dec qtr 1886 Bham

Joseph possibly married Lydia Jacobs, reg Dec qtr 1887 Bham (there's a record on Ancestry)

Sarah Jane married William Hughes (b1859 Walsall), reg Dec qtr 1886 Bham

Joseph possibly married Lydia Jacobs, reg Dec qtr 1887 Bham (there's a record on Ancestry)
Thank you so much for your help I really appreciate it.Could you tell me if Eliza and Herbert Parker had any children also Margaret and George Parker.

Herbert & Eliza had at least 2 daughters - Edith Lilian, reg Jun 1899 Aston & Ethel May, reg Dec 1904 Aston

There are two other Parker/Guest children registered in Aston - Gertrude Helen, Mar 1914 & Betty E, Dec 1917.

I suspect they are the daughters of Herbert & Eliza because I think that George & Margaret emigrated to Canada.

There is a Margaret Edith Parker registered in Solihull, Mar 1906 with mmn Guest. However I can find no trace of her or George & Margaret in the 1911 census.

However there is this - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:27X8-886

George's age is wrong but it appears he did have a brother, Arthur, of the right age.

On the 1921 Canada census George's age is correct and they're living in Hamilton, Ontario.

If this is the right George & Margaret then they had at least two more daughters - Lilian b1912 & Ivy b1917

George's occupation in 1921 is coppersmith and on the 1901 census there is a George Parker living in Tarry Road (Aston district) who is also a coppersmith

Last edited:
On the 1921 Canada census George's age is correct and they're living in Hamilton, Ontario.

If this is the right George & Margaret then they had at least two more daughters - Lilian b1912 & Ivy b1917

George's occupation in 1921 is coppersmith and on the 1901 census there is a George Parker living in Tarry Road (Aston district) who is also a coppersmith
Thank you for being so helpful.

William Floyd married Jane Midlam on 7 Oct 1833 in Edgbaston possibly St Bartholomew. Unfortunately father's names are not listed prior to 1840ish. Witnesses might be helpful but I can't see them.

There is a baptism for a William Floyd on 8 Nov 1813 at St Martin's, the son of John & Sarah but can't be sure if he's the right one.

Jane was possibly born in Ireland, so that makes things difficult.

Last edited:
William Floyd married Jane Midlam on 7 Oct 1833 in Edgbaston possibly St Bartholomew. Unfortunately father's names are not listed prior to 1840ish. Witnesses might be helpful but I can't see them.

There is a baptism for a William Floyd on 8 Nov 1813 at St Martin's, the son of John & Sarah but can't be sure if he's the right one.

Jane was possibly born in Ireland, so that makes things difficult.
Thank you.
They did marry at St Bartholomew here's a print screen of the entry

View attachment 113320
Thank You So Much

irene keep an eye on ancestry as they may do a free weekends research over easter

lyn

I see the witnesses are Sarah & John Floyd, so it doesn't rule out the William Floyd baptised 8 Nov 1813 being the right one.

Back