• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help Needed Please

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks hit a brick wall so any help would be appreciated...i am researching 3 brothers who all served in ww1...so far i cant find their services records and have only found the medal card of one of the brothers..i also have the probate for all 3 brothers..

eldred joseph martin b erdington 1886 he died on the first day of the somme aged 21..i have his medal card

wilfred A martin b 1885 erdington...died 1919 aged 24

basil S martin b 1899 erdington..died 1925 aged 26

thanks for any help folks..

lyn

Last edited:
hi folks hit a brick wall so any help would be appreciated...i am researching 3 brothers who all served in ww1...so far i cant find their services records and have only found the medal card of one of the brothers..i also have the probate for all 3 brothers..

eldred joseph martin b erdington 1886 he died on the first day of the somme aged 21..i have his medal card

Hi Lyn,
The dates of birth of both Eldred and Wilfred seem wrong according to their ages at death. Eldred was born in 1896 and Wilfred in 1895. I hope this is of some help.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

hi old boy..are you having problems...thats the second time you have quoted my first post but not posted a message with it...if i can help let me know

lyn

Now I know why you asked about Carmelwood!! So many named Wilfred Martin died - will keep searching for you.
Janice

Last edited:
thanks janice and yes i have been researching carmelwood for some time now..been helping a mate out who now lives on the ground where it stood...but last week took a twist...the trust houses that now stand on the carmelwood ground are in the middle of undergoing improvements and last week workmen discovered a deep well and out of it came a ww1 hat...can never be sure of course but there is a very good chance that it belonged to one of the 3 martin sons who all lived at carmelwood during ww1...what a great find..i love this sort of thing..i know all about harry martin the boys father and his wife florence Nee nettlefold (of the company nettlefold screws) who were related to joseph chamberlain and so a very good chance he visited carmelwood..

lyn

Last edited:
It is really odd - there are lots of W (Wilfred) Martin so it is hard to know which might be a possibility. The probate suggests he was a second Lieutenant but no regiment given and I found one card in the Royal Warwicks (just guessing really) but it wasn't the normal card. It looked as if someone had applied later for the medals and gave a sanatorium reference in Bournemouth. Can't find Basil at all.
Janice

Attachments

• W Martin.jpg
    W Martin.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 6
thanks for looking janice these are the problems i had...i have spent 3 days on this and i am now going bunk eyed lol...there was another son john born 1903 but i would imagine he was too young to join up..i wonder if that card you found is for our wilfred as i believe he to was a lieutenant and as wilfred died in may 1919 i wonder if it was because of injuries sustained...thanks viv that info maybe of great help

lyn

Last edited:
hi, found on cwgc website Eldred J Martin was a leuitenent in the 2nd Batt royal warwickshires buried Norfolk cemetery, becord el becourt. he was born in 1896. ancestry.co.uk have all info on 1901 and 1911 census his brothers are mentioned too. Wilfrid was born in 1895. They were all in boarding school in the 1911 census. hope this helps, Ron

hi ron and welcome to the forum...yes ive got all that info thanks...i was sitting here thinking how awful for the parents of these 3 young men...all dying in their 20s (for whatever reason) must have been very difficult for the family...

lyn

hi lyn, its sad but it would be intresting to know why, how and where the other brothers died. Ron

hi lyn, its sad but it would be intresting to know why, how and where the other brothers died. Ron

it would be good to find out ron...this family is absolutely nothing to do with me but its very easy for me to ge sucked into other familys lol

The strange thing is that I couldn't find Wilfred amongst the war dead on CWGC or Ancestry and they were usually included if they died of injuries (at least a relative of mine was). As the boys were at Ampleforth I suspect the family were, or had, Catholic connections.

Janice

hi janice yes i agree..i thought those that died of injuries we added to the war dead list...we dont know for sure that the wilfred you found is our one but it would not surprise me...also i think i am correct in thinking that around the time of the war spanish flu was prevalent so could be another reason for wilfreds untimely death..without their death certs up to now its all guess work from me..

lyn

janice i forgot to say that from what i have read about the 3 boys all were commisioned officers..

Hi Astoness, Old Boy did answer to your query. The problem is when he hit 'quote' or 'reply' he typed his answer within the quote.
If you click on the pink quoted text, in his post, you will see his reply
"Hi Lyn,
The dates of birth of both Eldred and Wilfred seem wrong according to their ages at death. Eldred was born in 1896 and Wilfred in 1895. I hope this is of some help.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)"

thanks passerby although i do have the dates of birth correct as posted in my post 1...eldred b 1896 died 1916 aged 21...wilfred b 1895 died 1919 aged 24...we can never be certain of years of birth especially those born towards the end of the year as sometimes those births are registered the following year if you get what i mean...thanks for your help both..:)

lyn

thanks passerby although i do have the dates of birth correct as posted in my post 1...eldred b 1896 died 1916 aged 21...wilfred b 1895 died 1919 aged 24...we can never be certain of years of birth especially those born towards the end of the year as sometimes those births are registered the following year if you get what i mean...thanks for your help both..:)

lyn
Hi Lyn and Passerby - Yes I had got into a bit of a mess trying to reply to Lyns first post but it is all sorted out now. The Spanish flu hit the world in 1918 and when it had run its course it had killed more people than died in the war. The commonwealth wargraves cemetery on Cannock Chase holds many graves of soldiers from overseas who died in 1918. Many of them, no doubt, from the flu.
Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

lyn
hi Lyn.

Found this info any good

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    526 KB · Views: 6
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    496.4 KB · Views: 6

lyn
It is really odd - there are lots of W (Wilfred) Martin so it is hard to know which might be a possibility. The probate suggests he was a second Lieutenant but no regiment given and I found one card in the Royal Warwicks (just guessing really) but it wasn't the normal card. It looked as if someone had applied later for the medals and gave a sanatorium reference in Bournemouth. Can't find Basil at all.
Janice
Hi Lyn .

Bit more
Regards Ray

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 4
Back