• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help in finding an old soldier

dtye

proper brummie kid
Hi,
I am new to this so please forgive me if I am in the wrong bit. I am trying to research my grandfather, he worked at BSA and then went off to fight in WW1. I have his medals, pip, squeak & wilfred so I also have his regiment. Unfortunately, his medal roll tells me nothing so I am now drawing a blank. He survived WW1 but he was injured and convalesced at Malvern (?) Convalescent home. Do BSA have a list of soldiers who went to fight? Are there any records for Convalescent Homes, I don't know if that's the right name? I have looked on the National Roll of Honour but understand Aston men were not included??
I only have his address at the time that he got married nothing before that. Does anyone have any ideas. I have tried the Archives but I'm afraid I struggle with searching on this. Any advice very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Would you like to give the full name of your grandfather and I am sure one of our members will be able to find something.

My grandfather's name was Charles William Rogers although in the family I remember him being referred to as Will. He was married in 1916 and his address at that time was 145 Waverley Road.

Thank you

Charles william rogers born Dec 1893.

1911 has 175 Warwick road,Sparkhill,Solihull.
Charles Wm Rogers age 41 Gun machinist
Rosina wife age 39 married 18 years.
Charles William age 17 gun machinist
Violet Edith age 16
Caroline Gladys Mary age 13
Cecil thomas age 11
Clarence age 9
all born birmingham

Charles William Rogers married Rosina Palmer 1892.June ref 6d 576

Hi again,

It is him!! Thank you so much, you have told me more in one email than I have been able to find in ages!

I have a question though, his medal roll shows his as being in the Middlesex Regiment. When he enlisted presumably with others from BSA what regiment did they join, where there lots? I'm expecting to find him in the Warwickshire Regiment or a local one does anyone know how this worked? Is there anywhere I can find out?

Again, thank you for your help.

There is a Charles William Rogers shown on the 1918 Absent Voters List.

Charles William Rogers Pte 242220 11 Beds. Regt

living at 147 Waverley Road.

Hello again,

Thank you very, very much for your help. The addresses certainly tie-in with my info. I had no idea he was in the Bedfordshire Regiment, my info is Middlesex Regiment. I will follow this lead.

Thank you again.

dtye. purely out of interest. as you have his campaign medals, can you tell us what info is engraved on them please?

Barrie.

Hello Barrie,

On the medals it says G-59023 Pte.C.W.Rogers Midd'x R. This is why I was confused about the Bed.Regt connection.

Regards

Deborah

I think its two different blokes mate. According to the medal card for G-59023 Charles W Rogers he never entered France (it would say the date he entered on the card) and he never got the star, either 1914 or 1915.

Its a bit of a puzzle really. I think that perhaps he lost his own medals in some way, and replaced them with the medals awarded to someone else, its not unknown.

If the Waverley Road address is correct, I would go with the info on the Absent Voters List.

my birmingham grandfather started with the warwickshire regiment but later was transferred to the royal berkshire regiment, simply because they had lost so many men. he then lost his life himself :(

Hi again,
To explain a little more, my Grandad Charles W.Rogers married his sweetheart who lived next door Louisa Ellen Needham, both her brothers appear on the 1918 Absent Voters List that you kindly posted. I have checked and got copies of their Medal Rolls Index Cards but I cannot find anything for 242220 Pte, 11 Bed.Regt. I find it hard to beleive that the medals are not his - any suggestions for further research?

Deborah

I don't know if you have noticed Nick, but the attestation papers I posted for you are dated 1912. He was a Territorial Army Soldier when WWI started.

Barrie.

Hi again,
What does that mean exactly? I thought that Territorial service was something that you volunteered to do as well as working. I have been trying to find out more about the 11 Bed.Regt listed on the Absent Voters list, is this the Bedfordshire Regiment? If so, I can't find anything for 11 Bed Regt?? Its getting more curious by the minute!

It means he was already in the army (TA) when the war started, so would already have had an army number.

Have you tried contacting www.1914-1918.net The Long Long Trail.

The people on there are very knowledgeable and helpful, give them all the info you have, and see how it goes.

Barrie

Hi Barrie,

I'm using Ancestry to help with this and the info just comes up with Bedfordshire it doesn't state which, but I'm still getting nothing. If he was a soldier before the war, where would I look for info, do you have any ideas?

Thanks again for your thoughts

Hi Barrie,

I'm using Ancestry to help with this and the info just comes up with Bedfordshire it doesn't state which, but I'm still getting nothing. If he was a soldier before the war, where would I look for info, do you have any ideas?

Thanks again for your thoughts

My advice is to go to the link I have given you for The Long Long Trail. They are more knowledgable than me you will find.

Barrie.

According to the medal card for G-59023 Charles W Rogers he never entered France (it would say the date he entered on the card) and he never got the star, either 1914 or 1915.

Just to clarify, the "date entered theatre" is only relevant to the two Star medals, to ascertain which one a man would be entitled to. This chap must have served abroad, or he wouldn't have got the other medals on the card.

If there's no date of entry on the card, it means that he either didn't go abroad before 1916 OR there is a separate card for him showing the award of the 1914 or 1914/15 Star. Occasionally there is a second medal card, so it's worth looking.

But Barrie's right, the Great War Forum is the place to go for expert advice.

Back