• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help in Dating Photos

with the vehicle reg our vehicle experts should know?... I read somewhere about the prefixes ? local councils numbering from single letters to double ? on some reg numbers started about 1932 ? if thats any help and the make of car should date it :)have made pictures larger to highlight vehicle reg EE 9145:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Over the last few hours I've studied hundreds of old car photos online (sad or what?) and after a few 'It's similar to this' and 'Its almost one of these', I think I've cracked it.
It's a 1927 Singer Senior like this two-seater one, which doesn't have the front bumper.

cheers Lloyd as always thank you for all your efforts ...it certainly looks like it could be but radiator tops ?are they different ?are they ? or is it something behind on tent? I cant tell if we can blow them up a bit more :) ?:D as to dating still not sure ?

Last edited:
.it certainly looks like it could be but radiator tops ?are they different ? :) as to dating still not sure ?

I think the British one has a temperature gauge on the cap, like this Boyce 'Motormeter'.
As for dating, the car doesn't look new, so I would guess mid-30s.

'EE' registrations were issued by Grimsby Borough from Jan 1904 to Nov 1930, so 9145 would be about 1928-9. This plus my comment above strengthens my view of mid-30s photographs.

Thanks again Lloyd the radiator cap figures .. I agree with you and you have done the "leg work" .. so it would seem with all the other comments the concensus would appear to be "Mid-30s" Jules:)hope that helps:)

Thank you Lloyd and Otherhalf. From studying other photo's in the album and your confirmation that it is around the 1930's I am pretty sure now of the family they depict. One of the girls I am sure is my mother and I'm sure I recognise my grandmother and grandfather. They are holidaying with another family and I have no idea who these people are. Could be relations. You have been very helpful - thank you! Jules.

• 10 1400 cc 1905
  • 12/14 2400 cc 1906-10
  • 20/25 3500 cc 1908-10
  • 15 2600 cc 1911-14
  • Ten 1100 cc 1912-23
  • 10/26 1300 cc 1925-27
  • 14/34 and Senior 1800 cc 1926-27
  • Light Six 1800 cc 1929-31
  • Senior Six 1600 cc 1927-30
  • Super Six 1920 cc 1930-31
  • Junior 850 cc 1927-35
Here is my list of Singer Models to 1945 hope it helps:)

Tom Reg EE was Grimsby .
I had a Mini SEE its on a previous post

Last edited:
Tom Reg EE was Grimsby .
I had a Mini SEE its on a previous post
....:p Yes Alf thanks I SEEN it :rolleyes:;)Nice List of cars and years Alf thanks :)

Back