• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Help finding my Uncle

ALB10N

master brummie
I've tried but I can't find him...... Or his wife & Children <sigh>

Anyone help or point me in another direction?

Parents
William John Williams
Harriet Puffer

Children
Elizabeth Violet 1914 - 1915
William Arthur 1915
Leah Victoria 1917

*Joseph T* Married Gladys ????
Had children named Dickie, Mackie, Shirley, Margaret & Brenda.

Bernard 1920
Harriett 1922
Alfred 1923
Lily Violet 1926 (All children born in Birmingham)

I've tried Births 10yrs either side of 1919. Different Christian names too.
Marriages from 1935 - 1960.
Tried matching the kids born with the names shown with Mothers maiden names between '40 & '60. No luck.

The only definate i have is his name on the electoral register for 1946.

This should be so easy..... :rolleyes:

BiLL

leah v williams 1918 jan-mar bham 6d 493 mmn puffer

william a williams 1915 apr-jun bham 6d 603 mmn puffer

bernard williams 1921 jan-mar bham 6d 677 mmn puffer

harriet williams 1922 apr-jun bham 6d 626 mmn puffer

alfred j williams 1923 oct-dec bham 6d 592 mmn puffer

lily v williams 1926 jul-sep bham 6d 238 mmn puffer

Last edited:
Yup....

That's all correct.... As good as, anyway :)

Thanx for looking Shera, but it's Joe (Joseph) that i'm trying to find.

Got most certificates for 'em, but Joseph is proving elusive.
All my Aunts & Uncles have now passed on, apart from one in New Zealand, who has dementia. My Brother and Sisters remember him, I met him when I was a nipper....

Maybe Joseph isn't his first name?
Maybe he was adopted?
Either way, he exists....

hmmmmmmm!!!!!!!

Albion
Can I get it straight in my head. As I understand it you are looking for a joseph T XXX whose parents are given as William john williams and Harriet Puffer and with a number of brothers & sisters you've listed. Hope that's correct. Is it possible that he was adopted either formally or informally by these two and considered them his parents, but was born with another surname.
Mike

first of all

lizzie v williams 1914 jan-mar bham 6d 668

and one that you havent mentioned

william a williams 1915 apr-jun bham 6d 603

then i have found a gladys L mantle who married a "williams" 1936 jul-sep

bham 6d 877 but i cant find who the williams was :rolleyes:

yes ive found it gladys L mantle details as last post married george williams.

then found george h williams birth 1925 apr-jun bham s. 6d 250 mmn puffer. (trouble is he`d only be 11)

Yes Mikejee... I'm looking for a JOSEPH T WILLIAMS.
I only think he may have been adopted/taken in, as i can't find any Birth record.
Surely if he has been on the Electoral roll as Joseph T Williams, that must be his legal name & what he used when he married Gladys?

Shera.... I didn't put all the siblings down, as i'm sure his birth couldn't be outside of 1917 - 1920.
1936 must be one of the earliest dates he could have married. I've looked from early 30's to late 50's. Other Gladys & Williams marriages are;
2nd qtr 1945 Davies 6a 1654
4th qtr 1945 Southall 6c 106
3rd qtr 1948 Jones 1a 2719
1st qtr 1951 Williams 8a 801
3rd qtr 1952 Williams 10a 1778

As you can see, i've searched the country :)
Would love Mantle to be right, but there are NO children named Shirley, Margaret & Brenda born to a Williams with Mantle as a MMN.

The girls are my age, so will have been born in the 50's, one in the 60's at latest, although i have checked earlier & later than those dates.

You answered yourself with the last bit.... ;)

Thank you both for your input.... It's all helpful

BiLL

I hesitate to suggest it, as I'm sure you will have already disproved it, but there are two joseph T. Williams who were , or could ahve been born 1917-20 (one was registered 1st quarter 1921, but could have been born 1920). I know the mothers maiden name s are wrong, but could it be that Harrriet wasn't his mother ?
Mike

Hi Albion,

Just wondering how do you know that your Joseph's middle initial is "T" if you do not have Birth or marriage certificate ?

Just a thought , could Alfred J Williams b1923 be your Joseph ?
There is an Alfred J Williams & Gladys on Electoral Reg.

It was not unusual for people to marry in a different name to the one they were born with.
Sometimes reverseing their christian name and middle / second name .
This includes Death Certificates also.

Their sons name Dickie , would most likely be Registered as Richard.
Whilst Mackie would more than likey be Malcolm.

These family names are confusing, But who said research was easy ?
My Leah was a Clara, Amy was Elizabeth, Jim was Charles, Dolly was Clara, Edward was Edwin. Polly was Mary. So dont rule anything out :)

Do you know for certain the road or area they lived in ?

We will keep looking for you

Bo

Hi all...

However i piece this together, nothing seems to fit..... I'm 99.9% sure now that his MMN isn't Puffer. Trying to fix a name to his wife isn't looking too good. Basically, when a name comes up, i look for the sequence of births of the childrens names in the birth register.... The closest match yet is Williams.
It's the right sequence.
Shirley 1959
Margaret 1962
Brenda 1963
The two boys names though.....?
Even these dates are later than what i'm given to expect. Maybe his wife's Christian name is something other than Gladys? Doesn't bear thinking about :(

Streets born in;
Lizzie 4 Back 123 Angeline street
William 34 Darwin street
Leah 34 Darwin street
Bernard 12 Court 3 Warwick street
Harriett 12 Court 3 Warwick street
Alfred 12 Court 3 Warwick street
etc. etc. etc.

He may have had other christian names when born, but by 1945/6 he is on the electoral roll as Joseph T Williams.

I've checked the two Joseph T Williams mentioned before, but it won't do any harm to try a 3rd or 4th time..... ;)

Thanks for your efforts....

BiLL

Solved it at last....... :biggrin:

Before i went on holiday, i wrote to Birmingham 'Forward' newspaper to put a message in the 'Where are they now?' section, looking for the children of Joe... A week after i returned i had a phone call off one of them....

I've found out that he's exactly where he should be in the births, but for some reason or another, the Mothers maiden name had been given as Cooper.... Also, my Mother had given me the children's names in totally the wrong order.... :rolleyes:

I've met two of them this week and we're swapping info and recalling stuff like you wouldn't believe...

A BIG thankyou to Birmingham Forward. :biggrin:

Hi Albion
I am looking for a Joseph Williams married to Gladys with daughters Margaret and Brenda. If your Gladys mother was Ida Harnes then we have a connection. Can you pease help.
Thank you TAY

Sorry TAY....
I'm still at a loss to know the answer to most of my questions above.
None of my Cousins have any information on this part of the family.....
Joe died around 1970, (can't remember off-hand) then the family went to live in Australia. Whether they all went, i've no idea.

I'll look into the name you've given, it might throw up something useful. ;)

BiLL

Back