• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HELP. Am I on the right track?

johnbluebeam

Brummie babby
Can anyone advise me if I am on the right track or where else I could look to confirm my findings?

1888-My grandfather Henry(Harry) Watts born,26/3/1888. Father James Watts, wire drawer,mother Lucy nee Ashford, from birth certificate
1881- census,James Watts,25, and Lucy Watts,25, shown.
1875- James and Lucy marriage cert. 25/12/1875, father shown as James Watts, brewer.
1871-census, James Watts,60, brewer from Leics, Elizabeth,49,dressmaker from Staffs., son James G Watts,15, new button turner.
1861- census , no trace
1856- birth certificate for James G Watts, 3/4/1856, father Joseph Watts, brewer journeyman, mother Elizabeth Watts nee Parkes
1851- census, no trace
1846- marriage cert. 2/2/1846, Joseph Watts to Elizabeth Parkes, but occupation of Joseph is given as labourer.
1841- census shows a Joseph Watts, brewer, and wife Eliza, but ages are wrong and obviously the marriage certificate above discounts this.

Would a change of christian name, Joseph to James, for whatever reason, be a common thing to do. A change of occupation could be acceptable.

Any help or advice on whether the above looks feasible would be greatly appreciated.

Shera

true brummie
have found this census in 1861 which matches in a some areas but not all......

living 65 graham st. bham

james watts 37 rolling mill engine driver b. witherley leicestershire
elizabeth 39 b. wolverhampton staffs
jane 13 b. bham
james 9 b. bham
elizabeth 5 b. bham
kate 3 b. bham
mary 2 b. bham
thomas 4mths b. bham

bren

master brummie
Hi John, do you have this from 1891 Census --

Name:Harry Watts
Relation:Son
Father's Name:James
Mother's Name:Lucy
Where born:Birmingham
Civil parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:St Anne
County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England
Street Address: 44 Claverdon St

Registration district:Aston
Sub-registration district: Duddeston
ED, institution, or vessel:36

Household Members:NameAge
James Watts
35 All born Brum. Wire Drawer
Lucy Watts
Nelly O Watts
13 Domestic Servant
Lucy Watts
Thomas Watts
Harry Watts

bren

johnbluebeam

Brummie babby
Thanks Shera and Bren. I did have this information and am comfortable with the facts from 1871 to the present day.
I am pretty comfortable with the James G Watts birth certificate, except for the James/Joseph name change.
I just wish I could find some more continuity for the earlier years.