• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HELP. Am I on the right track?

johnbluebeam

Brummie babby
Can anyone advise me if I am on the right track or where else I could look to confirm my findings?

1888-My grandfather Henry(Harry) Watts born,26/3/1888. Father James Watts, wire drawer,mother Lucy nee Ashford, from birth certificate
1881- census,James Watts,25, and Lucy Watts,25, shown.
1875- James and Lucy marriage cert. 25/12/1875, father shown as James Watts, brewer.
1871-census, James Watts,60, brewer from Leics, Elizabeth,49,dressmaker from Staffs., son James G Watts,15, new button turner.
1861- census , no trace
1856- birth certificate for James G Watts, 3/4/1856, father Joseph Watts, brewer journeyman, mother Elizabeth Watts nee Parkes
1851- census, no trace
1846- marriage cert. 2/2/1846, Joseph Watts to Elizabeth Parkes, but occupation of Joseph is given as labourer.
1841- census shows a Joseph Watts, brewer, and wife Eliza, but ages are wrong and obviously the marriage certificate above discounts this.

Would a change of christian name, Joseph to James, for whatever reason, be a common thing to do. A change of occupation could be acceptable.

Any help or advice on whether the above looks feasible would be greatly appreciated.

have found this census in 1861 which matches in a some areas but not all......

living 65 graham st. bham

james watts 37 rolling mill engine driver b. witherley leicestershire
elizabeth 39 b. wolverhampton staffs
jane 13 b. bham
james 9 b. bham
elizabeth 5 b. bham
kate 3 b. bham
mary 2 b. bham
thomas 4mths b. bham

Hi John, do you have this from 1891 Census --

Name:Harry Watts
Relation:Son
Father's Name:James
Mother's Name:Lucy
Where born:Birmingham
Civil parish:Aston
Ecclesiastical parish:St Anne
County/Island:Warwickshire Country:England
Street Address: 44 Claverdon St

Registration district:Aston
Sub-registration district: Duddeston
ED, institution, or vessel:36

Household Members:NameAge
James Watts
35 All born Brum. Wire Drawer
Lucy Watts
Nelly O Watts
13 Domestic Servant
Lucy Watts
Thomas Watts
Harry Watts

bren

Thanks Shera and Bren. I did have this information and am comfortable with the facts from 1871 to the present day.
I am pretty comfortable with the James G Watts birth certificate, except for the James/Joseph name change.
I just wish I could find some more continuity for the earlier years.

Back