• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hello From Bronson

Bronson

knowlegable brummie
I read the post about introducing yourself on this site, I think this is a good idea. So here goes I was born in the Sorrento hospital in September 1948. I lived in Albion Road Greet and went to Greet primary and Form and Road schools. In September 1964 I joined the Royal Navy so for the next 11yrs Brum was safe. After 12 months I could not settle down so I joined the Merchant Navy and done 12 years in till redundancy. Since then a couple of odd jobs but ended up at Birmingham Airport pushing planes around for the last 16yrs. Unfortunately my health took a down turn and I ended up having a liver transplant in 2013. Cause was not drinking or smoking I don't smoke or drink. Officially I am still working but on the sick asI took a redundancy so I now class my self as retired. If you want to know more please as l think my pm system is now working. Thank you for reading this.

Hello Bronson. Weclome to the Forum. I guess you 'Saw the World'
I'm sorry to hear of your illness.
Take care.

Hello Bronson

A few of my friends worked at BHX refuelling the aircraft, I worked at MAN which was the group terminal. Loved aviation but we all have to move on.

Best regards
nick

Hi Bronson
Sorry to hear about your health problems. ... makes me wonder about the earlier post about the pollution from the Lucas factory next to formans Rd school.
1964 you would remember the teachers. ... Martin . Head....Leese . Deputy. ...Cork . Art....Parry-Jones.sport after that I'm scratchin my head.
Wonder how the rest of us ended up.
I had 5 years training as a mechanic then worked at various locations around the Midlands finning up keeping the boys in blue mobile (had a lot of fun road testing the bikes ) before retiring .
Ogri

Hi Bronson,
Very interested to read your post as my son worked airside at BHX for about 30 years and now has organophosphate poisoning, as have several other folk who are in contact with these fumes on a regular basis. He has been unwell for about the past 10 years and has now eventually found the cause. Who do you work for? Enjoy your time on this forum - geofred

Hi, I have worked for 4 different company's. MAS, Aviance, Servisair and Swissport. Would your son have worked as a fueled by any chance.

Hi, I remember all the names you mentioned. Just an interesting point I was in touch with Mr Cork's son a few weeks ago, Mr Cork is still alive and quite active. My illness was caused by an Autoimmune disease.

Hi Bronson,
You must have known my son, he has worked for those same companies too, He also worked for I think it was something like Gold Star too. He was included in the set up of that company - he eventually married the bosses secretary! He has done most jobs air side but never mentioned refuelling them, most of his time was spent as a dispatcher. Does the name Simon ring any bells? Take care, geofred (Simon's mum)

Hi Bronson
Sorry to hear about your health problems. ... makes me wonder about the earlier post about the pollution from the Lucas factory next to formans Rd school.
1964 you would remember the teachers. ... Martin . Head....Leese . Deputy. ...Cork . Art....Parry-Jones.sport after that I'm scratchin my head.
Wonder how the rest of us ended up.
I had 5 years training as a mechanic then worked at various locations around the Midlands finning up keeping the boys in blue mobile (had a lot of fun road testing the bikes ) before retiring .
Ogri
Hi Ogri

I went to Formans Road (it was renamed "The Leys" just before we attended in 1968. I remember them testing dust samples in the school and finding incredibly high levels of lead from the Lucas Factory just over the playground wall. I remember that if we kicked our footballs over the wall, it was said they would land in the tanks of acid and melt (don't know how true this was). I will have to find the report about the pollution.

Hi Oldgreetboy2 thinking about it my grandad worked at Lucas's Formans rd & he had health problems.
(if you know Gordon we must have moved in the same circles.)

Ogri

Yes I know Gordon, he lived in Albion Road, Greet and I lived on the corner of Albion and Tomey Roads. Gordon is a few years older than I (I was born in 1957). I went the Greet Primary, then The Leys (Formans Road). Luckily I have not had any health problems yet, however my memory has always been terrible and I have always wondered about that lead testing at school. Gordon and I both served in the RN Submarine Service, although not at the same time. As far as the teachers are concerned, I remember Mr Leese and Mr Parry-Jones got me my first job at a printers in Kings Heath.

Back