• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution
Hi, I have a lot of information with regard to the Heaton Family Tree. Ralph Heaton I married Mary Elsmore. They had 8 children: John (married Mary Marshall) , Ralph II (married Mary Grew and Mary Proud), Reuben (married Martha ?), Charlotte (married James Warr), George (married Mary Turner) William, Sarah, Hannah. I come down the John branch. Which branch does Maria Heaton fall?

Hi. I too am researching the Heatons. John Heaton was my 4th great grandfather who married Mary Marshall. Their daughter Harriet married Samuel Parker in 1843. Making Harriet my 3rd great grandmother. Harriet and Samuel Parker had 1 child, my great, great grand father John Heaton Parker. He immigrated to the United States in 1872 on the Tripoli with my great, great grandmother Kate (Catherine/Katharine) Robbins. Before leaving England, they changed their last name to Mathews but I have no reason why? They settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where I currently reside. Any thoughts? Also, who were Ralph Heaton the 1 parents? If anyone interested i have copies of the wills of John Heaton and Mary Marshall. Thanks for any help you can give.

There is a Ralph Eaton baptised 3 Jul 1757 Aston, son of John & Sarah. John & Sarah also being the name of Ralph & Mary's eldest 2 children.

Hi. I too am researching the Heatons. John Heaton was my 4th great grandfather who married Mary Marshall. Their daughter Harriet married Samuel Parker in 1843. Making Harriet my 3rd great grandmother. Harriet and Samuel Parker had 1 child, my great, great grand father John Heaton Parker. He immigrated to the United States in 1872 on the Tripoli with my great, great grandmother Kate (Catherine/Katharine) Robbins. Before leaving England, they changed their last name to Mathews but I have no reason why? They settled in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania where I currently reside. Any thoughts? Also, who were Ralph Heaton the 1 parents? If anyone interested i have copies of the wills of John Heaton and Mary Marshall. Thanks for any help you can give.

Hi
Hi, I am also descendent from the John Heaton branch.

Ralph Heaton I married Mary Elsmore they had the following children:

Sarah, John, William, Hannah, George, Charlotte, Ralph and Reuben

I have a copy of Ralph Heaton I Will. John Heaton left his eldest son Alfred Heaton the lease license goodwill and possession of the public house in russell street. He also left £150 when children reached 21. As you are probably aware the Heaton's had a family business (The Birmimgham Mint - this was mainly left to Ralph and Reuben (who also had a fishing business). This business was in the jewellery quarter in birmingham. Both Ralph Heaton and John Heaton graves are in birmingham as well.

John married Mary Marsall - who had a son named Alfred (Harriet's brother)

Alfred Heaton married Mary A Nott - they had the following children:

Alfred Heaton
Caroline Heaton - married Joseph Nicholls
Mary A Heaton
Esther Heaton
William Heaton

Caroline and Joseph Nicholls had the following children:

Charlotte Nicholls
William
Mary Ann
Alfred Nicholls
Geroge Heaton Nicholls (my grandand)
Albert Nicholls ) the 2nd of the two alberts was born crica 1875 after the first albert died in
Albert Nicholls ) 1872

George Heaton Nicholls (my grandad)
Lily Nicholls (mother)
then me.

I also have lots of other information.

Hope this helps with your research.

Thank you Rainy and MWS your information has been helpful and has been added to my research. In 1947, my great grand aunts had a family tree commissioned after their mother, Kate Robbins passed on. Kate lived to be 102 years old. Alfred Heaton and his spouse Mary A Nott are on the tree as are the other children of John and Mary and their spouses. Rainy there are other Nicholls on my tree if correct. Have you heard of a Richard Nicholls who married a Mary Riley Smith? Mary was the daughter of Annie Heaton and William Riley Smith. Annie was the daughter of Ralph Heaton the 2nd or 3rd. The tree is very hard to read as it is on parchment and has many creases and divots. Also there are three Nicholls children:, a Peter, Margot, and Rosemary. I feel very lucky to have found this board. It is wonderful to find a relative through genealogy research. Rainy, I am assuming we are cousins, although not sure how far back. Maybe 4th or 5th generation? Did John Heaton work at Heaton Brothers ? I know the brothers formed a Steam Carriage Company but abandoned the production of the steam carriage company in 1834. Was it after 1834 that he had the Public House on Russell Street?

Thank you Rainy and MWS your information has been helpful and has been added to my research. In 1947, my great grand aunts had a family tree commissioned after their mother, Kate Robbins passed on. Kate lived to be 102 years old. Alfred Heaton and his spouse Mary A Nott are on the tree as are the other children of John and Mary and their spouses. Rainy there are other Nicholls on my tree if correct. Have you heard of a Richard Nicholls who married a Mary Riley Smith? Mary was the daughter of Annie Heaton and William Riley Smith. Annie was the daughter of Ralph Heaton the 2nd or 3rd. The tree is very hard to read as it is on parchment and has many creases and divots. Also there are three Nicholls children:, a Peter, Margot, and Rosemary. I feel very lucky to have found this board. It is wonderful to find a relative through genealogy research. Rainy, I am assuming we are cousins, although not sure how far back. Maybe 4th or 5th generation? Did John Heaton work at Heaton Brothers ? I know the brothers formed a Steam Carriage Company but abandoned the production of the steam carriage company in 1834. Was it after 1834 that he had the Public House on Russell Street?
Hi, great to hear from you.

Ralph I (1755) 1832) & Mary Elsmore - had the following children Sarah, John (who married Mary - we both come down the John line). William Heaton, Hannah Heaton, George Heaton (who married Mary Turner), Charlotte Heaton (who married James Warr) and Ralph Heaton II (he had two wives Mary Grew and Mary Proud and Reuben Heaton who married Martha).

According to my research all the sons went into the family business, however, John died. Reuben set up the fishing tackle business. If you google this you will find a lot of information. Also if you google "meredith of herfordshire" and follow the Heaton link you will see a box chart which is interesting plus lots of other information.

Ralph Heaton II was the main one running the business- There was also Ralph Heaton III and Ralph Heaton IV. The business was heaton brothers in the jewellery quarter in birmingham.
There is a graveyard in warstone lane and Ralph Heaton II is on the plaque as a famous indusrialist in the area. When John died according to his will the Pub was passed to Alfred (who married Mary Nott).

John Heaton & Mary Marshall's children:
Alfred Heaton - I am down this branch
Mary Heaton
Carlone Heaton
Esther Heaton
Hannah Heaton
Harriet Heaton - you are down this branch

Alfred & Mary Nott's children:
Alfred Heaton
Caroline Heaton (1836 - married Joseph Nicholls (1831) (these are my grandads grandparents) - they also had a son named Alfred (1875) (my grandads father)
Charlotte Heaton
Mary A Heaton
Esther Heaton
William Heaton

Both Ralph Heaton and John Heaton are buried in Birmingham., I have visited the graves and did take photos - which I cannot find at the moment. The next time I go I will take some photos.

In 1924 the London Gazette Dr George Heaton deceased late of Woodgate, Four Oaks Sutton Coldfield i the County of Warwick, and of 47 Newhall Street, died on 12 August 1924. Again if you google George Heaton he was a top surgeon. Google livesonline.rcseng.ac.uk - for further information.

Also google www.gracesguide.co.uk - for information at Ralph Heaton & Sons "the mint".

I also have information about Ellen Heaton - google grosvenor-history.weebly.com

There is also a Dr Alan Heaton-Ward who passed away about 4 years ago - this guy is now the Ralph Heaton II line. his paternal grandmother was in nursing charge of St John Ambulance in World War I. Her father Ralph Heaton was a coin designer at the family's mint in birmingham.

Yes there are nicholls in the family (my mother's maiden name). Caroline Heaton married into Nicholls family. My grandad was George Heaton Nicholls, he had a brother named Richard. Also there is a Nicholls who played for West Bromwich Albion - think it was grandads brother??

As I am typing this note, I am flicking through by ancestory portfolio and have just come across the two graves Ralph Heaton I and John Heaton whose daugther Esther is there as well.

I also have copies of Alfred Nicholls birth certificate (parents Joseph & Caroline) and Alfred Nicholls and Annie Shaw marriage certificate.

I hope this information will assist you in your research - if you find anything else out, please let me know.

Attachments

• photo 1.jpg
    photo 1.jpg
    416.5 KB · Views: 8
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 7
Hi to all you Heatons. Maria Heaton born in 1807 was my GGG Grandmother. She married Samuel Sims in 1824 and following his death married his brother William Sims in 1854. Has anyone any further Heaton family information?
I think Maria's father might have been a Richard Heaton married to Mary Evans. I see he was linked to a SIMS child so maybe his granddaughter. Maria Heaton is sister of Elizabeth Heaton who is my cousins line..

I think Maria's father might have been a Richard Heaton married to Mary Evans. I see he was linked to a SIMS child so maybe his granddaughter. Maria Heaton is sister of Elizabeth Heaton who is my cousins line..
In fact it is that Richard Heaton is the father and she is marrying the brother William and she is a Widow!!!!

In fact it is that Richard Heaton is the father and she is marrying the brother William and she is a Widow!!!!
Hi Lisaman
I have details of Heaton tree going back 5 more generations from Richard (1755-1839). Also have info on Maria's other sister Kaziah. She married into money (John Yates - who's company made spoons, etc) and lived in Chester Road, Boldmere. Would be good to compare notes

Although Heaton struck coins for many obscure places all over the world they also struck a lot of our pennies from Victoria up to George V, they have a letter 'H' next to the date and I used to look through my change when going to work on the bus in the early 60's. I still have them after all this time.

There were also George V pennies with KN by the date, this was for the Kings Norton mint

The Birmingham Mint won its first contract to strike finished coins for Britain – 500 tons of copper, struck between August 1853 and August 1855, with another contract to follow in 1856. These coins had no mint mark to identify them as from Birmingham. During the peak of operation the four original Boulton screw presses were striking about 110,000 coins per day.
In 1912, an order for 16.8 million bronze coins for Britain, and in 1918 and 1919, further orders for 7.1 million pence saw the mint striking coins for the home market. However in 1918 it saw its first competition as the Kings Norton Metal Company was also contracted to supply coins to the Royal Mint, in 1918 & 1919
coin.JPG

Hi Lisaman
I have details of Heaton tree going back 5 more generations from Richard (1755-1839). Also have info on Maria's other sister Kaziah. She married into money (John Yates - who's company made spoons, etc) and lived in Chester Road, Boldmere. Would be good to compare notes
Hi. I know Chris Heaton-Ward. Descended from Fanny Heaton, who married gun maker H.Arthur Ward. He used to live in Sutton Coldfield.

I am writing the history of the Edgbaston Archery & Lawn Tennis Society, the oldest lawn tennis club in the world. Our membership register of 1920 lists a Ralph Heaton Jnr as having been a member from 1883 to1886. I'm of the opinion that this must be Ralph IV? Any help would be much appreciated.

Hi everyone researching Heaton family tree - hope you are all staying safe. I have not logged on for some times so reading all the threads regarding your research. I assume we are all related in some way - it is all very interesting.

Hi to all you Heatons. Maria Heaton born in 1807 was my GGG Grandmother. She married Samuel Sims in 1824 and following his death married his brother William Sims in 1854. Has anyone any further Heaton family information?
Hi, your GGG Grandmother was one of eight (or nine) kids from the marriage between Richard Heaton b1779 - d1839 and Mary Evans b1780 - d1847. Her brother John was father to my Reuben Heaton who started the firm. Do you know when she died so I can complete her reference?

Hi Lisaman
Hi Berniesims, I would appreciate some clarity of the next generation back from John Heaton and Sarah Whitehead, thanks

Hi

Hi, I am also descendent from the John Heaton branch.

Ralph Heaton I married Mary Elsmore they had the following children:

Sarah, John, William, Hannah, George, Charlotte, Ralph and Reuben

I have a copy of Ralph Heaton I Will. John Heaton left his eldest son Alfred Heaton the lease license goodwill and possession of the public house in russell street. He also left £150 when children reached 21. As you are probably aware the Heaton's had a family business (The Birmimgham Mint - this was mainly left to Ralph and Reuben (who also had a fishing business). This business was in the jewellery quarter in birmingham. Both Ralph Heaton and John Heaton graves are in birmingham as well.

John married Mary Marsall - who had a son named Alfred (Harriet's brother)

Alfred Heaton married Mary A Nott - they had the following children:

Alfred Heaton
Caroline Heaton - married Joseph Nicholls
Mary A Heaton
Esther Heaton
William Heaton

Caroline and Joseph Nicholls had the following children:

Charlotte Nicholls
William
Mary Ann
Alfred Nicholls
Geroge Heaton Nicholls (my grandand)
Albert Nicholls ) the 2nd of the two alberts was born crica 1875 after the first albert died in
Albert Nicholls ) 1872

George Heaton Nicholls (my grandad)
Lily Nicholls (mother)
then me.

I also have lots of other information.

Hope this helps with your research.
Hi, I own the tackle business started by Reuben Heaton. This was a separate Reuben to the one on the mint side brother of Ralph 2. Interestingly there is also a family rumour about monies being given to kids when they reached an certain age. Would you be able to enlighten me with the documentation so |I can see if there is any connection? thanks

Hello, I am a Heaton-Ward but have always been told we‘re descended from Ralph Heaton (Indeed my sister and I were given Heaton pennies at birth). I‘m trying to understand if that’s correct. Would anyone be able to help? I would be very grateful for any informatio. Thank you !

Hi, your GGG Grandmother was one of eight (or nine) kids from the marriage between Richard Heaton b1779 - d1839 and Mary Evans b1780 - d1847. Her brother John was father to my Reuben Heaton who started the firm. Do you know when she died so I can complete her reference?
Maria Sims (ne Heaton) died on 18th February 1878 In Aston, Birmingham

Would be great to be able to view John & Mary’s wills. My connection is I am descended from Maria Heaton (1807-1872) who married into the Sims family. I have now been drawn into the Heaton tree because of the association with the Mint. Any help would be appreciated

Hi again. I have attached my Heaton tree (as far as it goes). Maria Heaton is my connection to the family. I would appreciate any assistance in verifying the info I’ve collected.5F7730C8-DE19-43A9-A4E8-701B9A86F9EA.jpeg

Your birth year for Richard Heaton looks wrong. I think it should be 1779 not 1755. Would probably mean your birth year for Mary Evans is wrong also.

Is your death year for Maria Heaton correct? There's a death registered 1878 that seems to match, can't see one in 1872.

Back