• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Eton Sun

proper brummie kid
I am researching the Heaton's of Birmingham. In particular those associated with the fishing tackle company of Reuben Heaton. Other branches of the family include the Heaton's of the Birmingham Mint, Heaton and Dugard metals, Capon Heaton rubber and the Hemminsley Heaton's

The original Heaton's on the tackle side were John (b18110 father of Reuben the company founder and his wife Maria (nee Creswell). Reuben's brothers included Ralph b1834, Samuel b1832, Albert b1853 and George b1851. EspeciallyRalph who dissapears circa 1870.

Also I need to track down the surviving members of any families who knew the Heaton's or worked at the company.

Re: All things Heaton

There was a thread on here about the Heaton fishing tackle business some time ago which, I think, John Houghton started. Can't find it now.

Hello Eaton Sun

I have and Elizabeth Heaton who married a Benjamin Sheldon 12 Jun 1814 Aston Peter Paul Birmingham. She was a coke and coal dealer and the daughter of James bapt 15 Feb 1754 St Philips (H)Eaton and Rebecca Pratt. Elizabeth had two siblings we know about, John and James. (The parents of James 1754 were Edward (H)Eaton and Mary Timmins.

any use? (May come in handy later)

Regards

Hi,

My G.G.Grandmother was Elizabeth Heaton. HER Great Uncle was Ralph Heaton (the first) who started off the Birmingham Mint. (Family line: Elizabeth (daughter of Richard Heaton and Mary Evans).
Richard Heaton (son of John Heaton and Mary Roberts)
Ralph Heaton I was Richards brother.

If you need any more information about the Heaton family, I just might be able to assist!!

Best wishes

Beth Jones

Hi all, thankyou for the replies, I will follow all these as part of my research. I reckon this one will run and run as there seems to be many branches of the Heaton tree. I now I will need all the help I can get, thanks :handshake:

Beth, thank you for your help. I would like to get in touch at some point as you may have some knowledge that will fill in the numerous black holes in my research.

I am particularly interested in any part that the non-angling companies such as the Mint, H&D and Capon Heaton may have played in the angling industry and subsequently Reuben Heaton's development. I am hoping that the family members were sufficently close that collaboration was common between the companies.

JOHN HEATON born c1720 BIRMINGHAM, married Sarah Whitehead 1742. He was my 5xgr.grandfather. I cannot find a birth for him in Birmingham (where he allegedly came from). Obviously this line of the family stayed on in Birmingham for the next 200+ years.

Does anybody have any information that would help me find the parents of this John ? I have noted that some church records show the surname as EATON/HEATON which makes is slightly confusing !!!!!!!

Hi,

Perhaps you can help, I am a decendant of the Birmingham Heatons and have come to a complete and utter stop at my 5 x g.grandfather, John Heaton who married Sarah Whitehead in 1742. He allegedly was born in Birmingham c 1720 but I cant find anything !!!!!

Just to make matters more confusing, sometimes the surname was spelled without the H, making entries EATON. I was always told not to drop my H's !!!!! lol.

If you have any informatio, regarding this John I would be soooo obliged.

I have got a couple of old photographs of Heaton Street I can put on here if you like. Carol

Hi Carol,

Thanks! That would be lovely. I dont know whether I mentioned but I am decended from the Heatons via my fathers maternal side. Ralph Heaton of the Birmingham Mint was my first cousin 5 times removed - almost off the page ! lol.

I am trying to find out as much about the early Birmingham Heatons as I can, but am stuck with my 5 x g.grandfather born c 1720 !!! Cannot find anything about him apart from his marriage.

Lovely to hear from you,

Beth

Beth this is a photo from a book by Red Rudge and John Houghton called Around Hockley. It also has some photos of the old Birmingham Mint in it. Regards Carol

Hi

Beth do you know who John HEATON b1720 sons and daughter were?

John Heaton was my 6th great grandfather.

Also have you come across Bernard Sheppard HEATON b 1742?

Can't remember if I have asked before.

Nick

Thanks Lyn, spent the first 10 years of my life in Heaton St. 1949-1959, but family connections date back much further.
Peg.

hi....I am also a desendant of Ralph heaton the first and come down the John heaton branch. I have done a lot,of research and have copies of death certificates etc. Beth it would be good to touch base on your records.

hi....I am also a desendant of Ralph heaton the first and come down the John heaton branch. I have done a lot,of research and have copies of death certificates etc. Beth it would be good to touch base on your records.
Hi RainyDay,
I have just discovered this feed today and wondered if Beth got back to you at all? I have let my father know of this site also, he will be a lot more help than me but I know He and his brothers are close descendants. We have Heaton coins etc from the mint and tackle from the angling business. My dad and his 3 older brothers are all still alive. My Dad still lives in Great Barr, Birmingham, not too far from the old mint. My uncle John Heaton, my dads eldest brother, who is now 80 years old is the last living Heaton to have worked in the tackle company and sold it. But like I say I think my dad will be able to share lots more.

My Grandfather was Irving Samuel Heaton, his father I believe was Ralph and Ralph is either then the son of Reuben or his brother but like I say my uncle worked at the company and my Dad can give you much more detail and perhaps find some links to your line.

I am researching the Heaton's of Birmingham. In particular those associated with the fishing tackle company of Reuben Heaton. Other branches of the family include the Heaton's of the Birmingham Mint, Heaton and Dugard metals, Capon Heaton rubber and the Hemminsley Heaton's

The original Heaton's on the tackle side were John (b18110 father of Reuben the company founder and his wife Maria (nee Creswell). Reuben's brothers included Ralph b1834, Samuel b1832, Albert b1853 and George b1851. EspeciallyRalph who dissapears circa 1870.

Also I need to track down the surviving members of any families who knew the Heaton's or worked at the company.
Hi there,
This is a complete long shot as your post is old but I believe my father and his brothers are the men you were looking for. My Dad’s oldest brother, John Heaton who is now 80 is the last living Heaton to have worked at the tackle company and he then sold it on.
My Dad is the youngest of four and their father was Irving Heaton, I think the son of Ralph who is either Reubens son or brother. Anyway I’ve let my dad know of this website so he can come on and correct me as this is from the top of my head but I know for sure they are close descendants and my uncle John was the last Heaton at the company.

Irving appears to have been registered as Ralph Irving Heaton, the son of Ralph John Heaton who was the son of Reuben George Heaton. Ralph John also had a brother called Reuben George and a son called Reuben.

Hi to all you Heatons. Maria Heaton born in 1807 was my GGG Grandmother. She married Samuel Sims in 1824 and following his death married his brother William Sims in 1854. Has anyone any further Heaton family information?

Back