• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Heathfield Road Handsworth

Ian FOFB

Brummie yes ! Novice no !
Edit. Unfortunately the original photos mentioned below are no longer available.

The 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures is thought to date from the 1910's.

Ian.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for these photographs Ian. I know a number of members including me were born at Heathfield Maternity Hospital, I just wish the view included that building. I wonder if any photos of the hospital exist?

I was born in Heathfield Road Maternity Hospital, but I've never been able to find a photoraph of it, sadly. Heathfield Road is looking quite smart today. I took at look at the house I lived in (Putney Road Handsworth) on Streetview, and I must say it looks loads better than when I lived there! Urban renewal I think.

Used to visit a Dentist in Heathfield rd (Mr Pugh) in the late fifties early sixties, ex Navy but a good Dentist.

Not a photo of the hospital but nice photos of Heathfield Rd. I have include Heathfield Hall ( James Watts House ) but im not sure if it was on Heathfield Rd. Max

Thanks for the photos Max, we are getting closer! According to Wiki,

Heathfield Estate

Heathfield Hall

Architect Samuel Wyatt had developed a friendship with Matthew Boulton, for whom he designed Soho House in 1789. In 1790, Boulton recommended Wyatt to his friend James Watt, for whom Wyatt designed Heathfield Hall. Watt died in the house in 1819, and was buried in St Mary's Churchyard (although his tomb is now in the subsequently expanded church).
After a series of subsequent owners who had slowly sold off the associated lands for development of semi-detached villas, in the 1880's engineer George Tangye bought Heathfield Hall. He lived in the house until his death in 1920. After the family sold the house, from 1927 the hall was demolished and the lands redeveloped.[3][4]
What was the Heathfield Estate is now the land that comprises West Drive and North Drive.

have checked Google earth, seemingly unconnected with Heathfield Rd.

Thanks for the photos Max, we are getting closer! According to Wiki,

Heathfield Estate

Heathfield Hall

Architect Samuel Wyatt had developed a friendship with Matthew Boulton, for whom he designed Soho House in 1789. In 1790, Boulton recommended Wyatt to his friend James Watt, for whom Wyatt designed Heathfield Hall. Watt died in the house in 1819, and was buried in St Mary's Churchyard (although his tomb is now in the subsequently expanded church).
After a series of subsequent owners who had slowly sold off the associated lands for development of semi-detached villas, in the 1880's engineer George Tangye bought Heathfield Hall. He lived in the house until his death in 1920. After the family sold the house, from 1927 the hall was demolished and the lands redeveloped.[3][4]
What was the Heathfield Estate is now the land that comprises West Drive and North Drive.

have checked Google earth, seemingly unconnected with Heathfield Rd.

Cheers John, i used to have a newspaper round delivering on North and West Drive, i never knew the significance. Max

I know a very lovely man who lives in North Drive. He has the most amazing garden ever, full of architectural reclaims, which make it seem like fairyland. He told me that he likes to think of the ghost of James Watt walking around his garden - and who knows, it might just be true!

A few more Photos , but still not one of the Hospital. Max

Brilliant photos Max., that mural (muriel..lol) is wonderful and the third photo is so atmospheric.

sorry to get your hopes up folks..thought i had found the hospital but it looks like this pic maybe the same building as max posted on post 17 pic 3...:(

my caption reads...heathfield house on heathfield road...

Another from Heathfield Road, the 'then' pictures are taken from old postcards, the 'now' pictures taken from Google Streetview.
The older of the pictures dates from 1922 .

Ian.

This is the same site today, just before the traffic lights at the junction with Birchfield Rd. Max

Healthfield Road in what looks like the early 1900s. Can't tell if this has been on before as quite a few missing photos, but a nice addition all the same. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366189405.178132.jpg

My husband immediately recognised this photo Viv. Westminster Road is on the right, this is looking from Perry Barr end towards the Villa Cross. When my husband was about 5 he said the shop on the left which he thinks was a chemist, still had all that paraphanalia outside. What an elegant area it was then.

Thanks for pinpointing the position Shortie. I've looked at today's view on Google. It's lost a few of the buildings on the corner with Westminster Road and on the opposite side, but many have survived. Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1366203586.997021.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1366203621.945137.jpg

It's only a short while since I used to visit regularly Viv, as my mother in law lived in Handsworth Wood from 1952 until she left at the age of 90. We used to take various routes there, just to see how things had changed over the years. My eldest daughter was born at Heathfield Maternity Home in 1967, just a little further up the road from here.

I've just found this thread so a bit late coming to the party but I was born in Heathfield Rd Maternity Hospital too, and lived with my Mom in Hamstead Rd, in the front room of my Uncle and Aunt's flat. Hamstead Rd looks very smart now. I remember the trams coming up the middle of the road.

Edit. For those interested in Heathfield Maternity Home there is a thread using this link https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/heathfield-maternity-hospital.47910/

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome Rita. My dentist was in Hamstead Road - a bungalow, German dentist. Made many , many visits there as had dental braces when I was young (not like today where almost every other child has them). It was a nice lovely road too. Liked the walk down from Villa Road, but the walk back up was even better! Hope you enjoy the forum. Viv.

A relative gives his address on his marriage cert in 1938 as 77 Heathfield Rd, Handsworth. As far as I can see from the electoral registers there was no residential accommodation between numbers 69 & 77 for the whole of the 1930s at least. Can anyone tell me what was there please. Presumably some sort of commercial premises.

t does not look as if the place existed. the c1955 map below shows that there is a small space between 67 and 79. The c1938 map , assuming that there was no renumbering, and I think that very unlikely, shows the same space, but as part of the grounds of no 67. People have been known to lie on certificates, especially if they wanted to claim to live in the parish of the church they wished to marry in
map c 1938 showing no no77.jpg map c 1955 showing no no77.jpg

Thanks for that both of you. I suspect this chap was a bit of a "Jack the lad" He gave his father's occupation as a shepherd. Either he was lying or his father lived in a rural area & had the same Christian names as my chap. Can't get any lead on him at all. He appears to have been born in 1901, but there is no trace of him in Brum until his marriage.
It's a long, involved story, but I don't want to give names as there is a good chance his children are still alive.
We know there were children because my cousin remembers visiting them with her mother in the 50s, but can't find any births in Birmingham.
Back to the drawing board I suppose. The plot thickens.

Back