• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Heathfield House, Handsworth

GeoFereby

proper brummie kid
Hello all and a happy new year in three days time.
I'm keen to learn what became of Heathfield House (not to be confused with James Watts' Heathfield Hall (aka House).
Heathfield House existed on the corner of Holyhead Road and Booth Street, Handsworth certainly in 1895 to 1915. It was quite a big house and sometimes referred to as 1 Booth Street.
I think it was where Lidl are?
Does anyone have any more information?

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum Geo! I grew up in Handsworth just a stones throw from Holyhead Rd and I cant place or knew about Heathfield House.

We have some enterprising folks on the Forum and sure someone can help!

This question has been asked before by Astoness (Lyn) according to the search engine, but it didn't get anywhere. I can't find any other references other than the James Watt one.

Maurice :cool:

i thought we had covered this one but maybe i am mistaken..thought it was where the roundabout is now and part of walls or gate to the house is still there...will try and check this out tomorrow

lyn

Here it is on the c1889 map. According to the map and directories its address seems to be 1 Booth St. It does not seem to be named in the Birmingham directories after the 1880s (when Booth St was included in them). But in the 1880s (assuming it is no 1), it is occupied by a Mrs russell, which is not a good thing to search for.

map c1889 showing Heathfield house junc soho and holyhead roads.jpg

Looking at earlier Birmingham directories, where outer suburbs are just listed in name order, and not in the street section, a Mrs Russell is listed as at Eastfield House. Handsworth. However this must be a missprint, as there are earlier mentions in donations to St James church, Handsworth and the marriage of a daughter to a John James Russell of Heathfield House Handsworth

That’s brilliant. I knew where it was but the map you’ve sent is just what I’ve been looking for. I’ve been unable to locate Moorfields at all - see my previous post and hey presto - they are neighbouring properties and my six month hunt is over!

Two things.
1. Did not realise you were looking for Moorfields also. That was numbered no 385 Soho Road, and in the 1880s was occupied by Kempson Pratt.
2. The Russell story is getting complicated. It seems that John James Russell of Handsworth had a company James Russell & Sons, which had an office in London, but was also in business in business in Wednesbury and involved in tube manufacture. There was also a firm in Wednesbury named John Russell & Co, tube manufacturer in Wednesbury, which was completely separate, but seems to be a much more established firm. The former (belonging to John James of Handsworth) was involved in a well-advertised embezzlement case in 1866 which was thrown out of court , the implication being that John James brought it against his employee knowing it wasn't true. This led the other firm to make a big point (in court and in a letter to the papers) that they were nothing to do with the other firm. I am having difficulty in working out if any other references in the press to a Wednesbury tube firm named Russell belong to the older or younger firm, though think probably the older one.

B.post. 10.9.1866.jpg

Last edited:
To add to Heathfield House, in the 1855,1867,1868 directories it is named in Handsworth , with John James in occupancy. However in 1845 he is living in Church Lane , Handsworth, and there is no listing of a Heathfield house in Handsworth, and this would tend , to me, to indicate that he might have been the first tenant.
Mrs Russell is listed there till 1892, but in the 1895 edition the house is not listed, but in 1896 it is occupied by McLaughlan & Freer, surgeons, but they do not stay very long as by 1899 it has Edward Vaughton there. Interestingly an Edward Vaughton from Moorfields, next door, dies in 1895, so presumably his son moves there from Moorfields. they were of the Edward Vaughtion & sons jewellery business in Vyse St.
In 1915 the occupant was Edward Oates Dalby

This aerial photo dated 1926 shows Booth Street running from top left to Holyhead Road which runs from top right. Heathfield House is visible and part of Moorfields shows at the lower edge. Both highlighted with colour.
BoothStc1926.jpg
image source 'britainfromabove'

Two things.
1. Did not realise you were looking for Moorfields also. That was numbered no 385 Soho Rad, and in the 1880s was occupied by Kempson Pratt.
2. The Russell story is getting complicated. It seems that John James Russell of Handsworth had a company James Russell & Sons, which had an office in London, but was also in business in business in Wednesbury and involved in tube manufacture. There was also a firm in Wednesbury named John Russell & Co, tube manufacturer in Wednesbury, which was completely separate, but seems to be a much more established firm. The former (belonging to John James of Handsworth) was involved in a well-advertised embezzlement case in 1866 which was thrown out of court , the implication being that John James brought it against his employee knowing it wasn't true. This led the other firm to make a big point (in court and in a letter to the papers) that they were nothing to do with the other firm. I am having difficulty in working out if any other references in the press to a Wednesbury tube firm named Russell belong to the older or younger firm, though think probably the older one.

View attachment 151283
Thanks so much for all this info. I have quite a bit more to share soon but just double checking. Was Moorfields definitely 385 Soho Road? Not 395 by any chance?

In none of the directories is the name Moorfields in Soho Road listed , though there is, confusingly, a Moorfields in Church Lane , Handsworth. In the directories the last house in Soho Road on that side of the road up till 1892 edition is 385, and I cannot see that a large house such as Moorfields would be omitted. The previous map shows little between the pub and Moorfields. In 1895 the numbering for the Queens Head pub is still the same but a lot of extra businesses have appeared, and the last house is 395. I believe that when these extra businesses appeared the house was renumbered tom make room for them

From this 1889 map, I believe the Queen's Head Pub to be at 379 Soho Road, (shops were unchanged before it)
the shops next to the pub came later in very early 1900's, certainly 1904
so the Moorfields could in 1889 be numbered around 385?

1889 map.JPG

In none of the directories is the name Moorfields in Soho Road listed , though there is, confusingly, a Moorfields in Church Lane , Handsworth. In the directories the last house in Soho Road on that side of the road up till 1892 edition is 385, and I cannot see that a large house such as Moorfields would be omitted. The previous map shows little between the pub and Moorfields. In 1895 the numbering for the Queens Head pub is still the same but a lot of extra businesses have appeared, and the last house is 395. I believe that when these extra businesses appeared the house was renumbered tom make room for them
Edward Vaughton was my GG Grandfather. He died in 1895 and at that time owned both Heathfield House and Moorfields (where he lived). The map from yesterday was the first time I had learned of a Moorfields next to Heathfield House - so quite obviously that was his "Moorfields". I had been barking up the Church Lane one too for several months. My G Grandfather lived at 395 Soho Road in 1901 - which is why I wonder if that was "Moorfields" by another name - as that would make sense too! A big thank you to everyone taking the trouble to post here.

Moorfields as in 16 Church Lane ... in 1901 was occupied by the family of Howard Spencer, professional footballer for Aston Villa and England (later captain) and known as the "prince of full-backs” for his good sportsmanship.

Edward Vaughton was my GG Grandfather. He died in 1895 and at that time owned both Heathfield House and Moorfields (where he lived). The map from yesterday was the first time I had learned of a Moorfields next to Heathfield House - so quite obviously that was his "Moorfields". I had been barking up the Church Lane one too for several months. My G Grandfather lived at 395 Soho Road in 1901 - which is why I wonder if that was "Moorfields" by another name - as that would make sense too! A big thank you to everyone taking the trouble to post here.

thanks for letting us know that edward vaughton was your gg grandfather i guessed there must be a family connection with the 2 houses...not sure you mentioned this in your previous posts...glad we were of help

lyn

Back