• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

HEATH FAMILY PHOTO

It was also William Mayell a manufacturing jeweller on 1901 census.

1904 map but no names of houses
1584310480817.png

So it could be either or none.

Are the Heath family supposed to have lived in this house?

It seems Malvern Road wasn't built until after 1891 (not on census or 1888 map) so might rule that one out.

The photo (at Hazelhurst) is Mrs Heath and her daughter Jane - we don't know if it was their house or if they were visiting. The little girl was born in 1887 and emigrated to Canada in 1904 when she was 17. It is also thought she might have been abroad at finishing school in 1901 (not on census) so that means the photo is before that date.

Am getting a bit confused , but , if any help. Kellys for 1903 an 1904 (which would probably refer to 1902 and 1903 respectively is below (sorry for the green additions. Never had that before when joining scans on Irfanview

Kellys 1903 Hazelhurst road.jpgKellys 1904 Hazelhurst road.jpg

So many thanks to all you in Birmingham who are making so much effort to solve where this house might have been located. I really appreciate all your efforts and this new connection to Birmingham.

Carol

A bit about the history of Hazelwood Road here https://aghs.jimdofree.com/a-history-of-hazelwood-road/the-early-twentieth-century/
Also several mentions of Hazelhurst. Interesting reading in 19th century notes.
I think the size of this Hazelhurst rules it out.

Same site has some info on Malvern Road - think these houses might be too large as well. :(
Hi Janice Very interesting reading and looked carefully at the 1904 photograph but think that those house are much larger and grander and the house in my photograph is closer to the street. Sure prevaricate the link and the history of Hazelwood.

Carol

So it could be either or none.

Are the Heath family supposed to have lived in this house?

It seems Malvern Road wasn't built until after 1891 (not on census or 1888 map) so might rule that one out.
I am presuming that they the child and woman lived in the house in the photo but at this point it is more guess than knowledge. The woman is dressedin black so possibly she was in mourning - her father in law died in 1892 and her husband in 1893. If the Malvern Road house wasn't built until after 1891, I agree it doesn't fit.

I don't think we have the right house - yet o_O However, I for one have enjoyed the search and have learned a lot about an area I have vaguely known for a long time.
Sorry if you were confused Mike but your info helps pinpoint when the house in Hazelwood Road became, at least, empty. So thanks for that.

Have really enjoyed rereading all the threads and looking at the old maps. A nice diversion in a constantly changing landscape that we all find ourselves in.

Back