• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

HEATH FAMILY PHOTO

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi folks this family photo belongs to one of our members who is trying to find out the location...we have little information about it other that it was most likely taken before 1904 ...the only clue is that on the front gate it gives the names of "hazlehurst" it could have been taken in a few areas ie reddich...west bromwich...solihull...yardley...if it rings any bells with anyone please let us know

many thanks

lyn

heath home.jpg

Last edited:
I can't find that road on the 1900 or 1911 censuses but there is a house at 11 Kingsbury Road Erdington called Hazelhurst. In 19101 and 1911 it is occupied by a Charles Flint a widower.
1584280806301.png

Last edited:
Below are maps showing position of hazelhurst road , Kings Heath (with red marker) in c1904 and c1920. So it seems it was constructed around the end of WW1

map c1904 showing where Hazelwood road would later be.jpgmap c1920 showing Hazelhurst road.jpg

I can't find that road on the 1900 or 1911 censuses but there is a house at 11 Kingsbury Road Erdington called Hazelhurst. In 19101 and 1911 it is occupied by a Charles Flint a widower.
View attachment 142988

thought you had it then jan but just looked on streetview and the houses are much larger and set well back from the pavement...will double check later after dinner

If you search for 'Hazlehurst' in the address for Worcetershire on the 1911 census one of the results is in Yardley. William & Mary Quaife are the occupants.

If you search for 'Hazlehurst' in the address for Worcetershire on the 1911 census one of the results is in Yardley. William & Mary Quaife are the occupants.

many thanks MWS that sounds interesting will try and follow it up

lyn

In 1901 there are a William & Esther Waterhouse living in 'Hazelhurst' in Yardley.

They appear to be there in 1891 though their house name is not listed.

The next 2 properties are named as Heathfield and The Elms. On the 1888 map these 2 properties are the Warwick Road opposide Fox Hollies Road. The previous house to these 2 is listed as The Lindens.

hi MWS thanks for joining in with this mystery....bit confused by the map..nothing unusual but which property on your map is hazlehurst although i have to say i think that our house looks more to be in the suburbs rather than countryside...it seems to have a pavement as well..

lyn

I'm not sure either. Comment seems to indicate between the Lindens and Heathfield but I can't see a property on the map.

The 1891 census lists William & Esther Waterhouse, Warwick Road, no house name, then Heathfield and then The Elms.

The 1901 census lists William & Esther Waterhouse living at 'Hazelhurst'. So assuming they haven't moved then I think The Lindens might be 'Hazlehurst'.

Back to the 1891 census going the other way from William & Esther Waterhouse are Firgate, Highfields and Henry Harris a blacksmith. On the map on the opposite side of the road is the house on the corner which you can see (not named) then Highfields and then a smithy, both off the map to the left.

And there doesn't appear to be The Lindens on the 1901 census

If the next house to the Waterhouse's in 1901 is any of the ones mentioned then it would probably confirm that The Lindens became Hazelhurst.

If not then they probably moved and Hazelhurst is somewhere else.

Unfortunately the next Kelly's online is 1905 and by then the Waterhouse family had moved. The house is not listed.
House has gone by the 1904 map.
1584307753878.png

Last edited:
Following #8 that Hazelhurst is on Malvern Road Acocks Green. Where the Quaife family are living in 1911.

It was also William Mayell a manufacturing jeweller on 1901 census.

1904 map but no names of houses
1584310480817.png

So it could be either or none.

Are the Heath family supposed to have lived in this house?

It seems Malvern Road wasn't built until after 1891 (not on census or 1888 map) so might rule that one out.

The photo (at Hazelhurst) is Mrs Heath and her daughter Jane - we don't know if it was their house or if they were visiting. The little girl was born in 1887 and emigrated to Canada in 1904 when she was 17. It is also thought she might have been abroad at finishing school in 1901 (not on census) so that means the photo is before that date.

Am getting a bit confused , but , if any help. Kellys for 1903 an 1904 (which would probably refer to 1902 and 1903 respectively is below (sorry for the green additions. Never had that before when joining scans on Irfanview

Kellys 1903 Hazelhurst road.jpgKellys 1904 Hazelhurst road.jpg

So many thanks to all you in Birmingham who are making so much effort to solve where this house might have been located. I really appreciate all your efforts and this new connection to Birmingham.

Carol

A bit about the history of Hazelwood Road here https://aghs.jimdofree.com/a-history-of-hazelwood-road/the-early-twentieth-century/
Also several mentions of Hazelhurst. Interesting reading in 19th century notes.
I think the size of this Hazelhurst rules it out.

Same site has some info on Malvern Road - think these houses might be too large as well. :(
Hi Janice Very interesting reading and looked carefully at the 1904 photograph but think that those house are much larger and grander and the house in my photograph is closer to the street. Sure prevaricate the link and the history of Hazelwood.

Carol

So it could be either or none.

Are the Heath family supposed to have lived in this house?

It seems Malvern Road wasn't built until after 1891 (not on census or 1888 map) so might rule that one out.
I am presuming that they the child and woman lived in the house in the photo but at this point it is more guess than knowledge. The woman is dressedin black so possibly she was in mourning - her father in law died in 1892 and her husband in 1893. If the Malvern Road house wasn't built until after 1891, I agree it doesn't fit.

I don't think we have the right house - yet o_O However, I for one have enjoyed the search and have learned a lot about an area I have vaguely known for a long time.
Sorry if you were confused Mike but your info helps pinpoint when the house in Hazelwood Road became, at least, empty. So thanks for that.

Back