• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Heat Rash

Can anybody remember the name of the rash that (girls mostly) got from sitting close to the fire please?
Heat rash, or miliaria, happens when the sweat gland ducts get plugged due to dead skin cells or bacteria, such as Staphylococcus epidermidis, a common bacterium that occurs on the skin and is also associated with acne. ... Wearing too much clothing in winter, or sitting too close to a fire or heater can induce a rash.

The front of your legs burned and the backs remained freezing cold! The wonders of the coal fire in cold draughty houses!

I've been racking my brains on this one. "Bacon legs" or "Gammon legs" keeps popping up. I'm sure it was something like that.

We called them chillbrains or chillbains. Just remembered, it was chilblains!
I had chilblains in my early teens when in Warwickshire. After the age of sixteen when I left the area I never had them again.
They were most unpleasant, to say the least.

Can anybody remember the name of the rash that (girls mostly) got from sitting close to the fire please?
Pickled cabbage legs I think. There was a lady in Holte road who had them and mom said it was from sitting too close to the fire for too long.

I recall the term used, when I was a child, as ‘tartan’ legs. I well remember those days, huddled close to the fire, being scorched on one side, and absolutely freezing on t’other.

Back