• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hay mills area

stars

master brummie
Hi Here are a few to look at

Image1_Powells_Bakery_Cart.jpg

Image10_Redhill_Dairy_Hay_Mills.jpg

Image9_Boot_repair_shop_Coventry_Rd.jpg

Image11_Fruit___Veg_shop_Coventry_Rd.jpg

Regards Stars

Lovely photos Stars...thanks for posting them. I am old enough to remember the Bradford Bakery carts with horses. Must have been the 1940's so they didn't change much over the years.

They are lovely photos pity not the same nowadays. This may be a stupid question but is Hay Mills in Yardley only my Dad was born there and I thought it was Birmingham.

A Photo of Redhill Terrace off Arthur Road Hay Mills Don't know when the photo was taken.

Attachments

• Redhill_Terrace_goodness_knows_when.jpg
    Redhill_Terrace_goodness_knows_when.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 31
Hi don't know whether its the same one but I'm sure there was a cake shop on the corner of Berkley road and the cov road in the 40s and 50s.

It was just by the pelican crossing and opposite the church on the corner of Kings Road, if my memory is correct .
You dry cleaners , the barbers, then the bakery (I think??)

As I crossed HeyBarnes Road the Shops were Bedders chip shop, Eatonways Coaches, Heybarnes rec , the bridge over the Cole, Plough and Harrow, and outdoor , Butchers (Joe ??) a drapery shop, the access path to the house down the gulley, Toni’s the Italian Barber, Harris dry cleaners, Friut and Veg shop double fronted, Paper shop (the son of the owner played Rubgy for England and was a policeman) Hardware shop , Hay Mills Fish bar , Electrical Shop and his yard , another Barbers , then the Bakery . I think , I have named the shops but may not be in the right order

Reply, my mate's Dad worked there as a Baker, we would get all the damages and spares to eat.
My father delivered for Hawleys bakery to the shops. You are right damaged cakes in the house in abundance. I always remember one incident when he had to brake hard. Oblong custard pies, Custard slices topped with cream. A whole tray on the Kitchen table. Main problem non could compare with Grandmothers home made fruit cake.

As I crossed HeyBarnes Road the Shops were Bedders chip shop, Eatonways Coaches, Heybarnes rec , the bridge over the Cole, Plough and Harrow, and outdoor , Butchers (Joe ??) a drapery shop, the access path to the house down the gulley, Toni’s the Italian Barber, Harris dry cleaners, Friut and Veg shop double fronted, Paper shop (the son of the owner played Rubgy for England and was a policeman) Hardware shop , Hay Mills Fish bar , Electrical Shop and his yard , another Barbers , then the Bakery . I think , I have named the shops but may not be in the right order
Eatonways coaches next to the rec, I mentioned this a few years ago on B'ham history and got shot down in flames. when I was a young 4 5 6 year old we often went on day trips with them and they differently had a base there glad to here someone else remembers this.

Back