• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hawthorn Road Kingstanding

M

mkent1

Does anybody remember the Fell family that lived on hawthorn road kingstanding,in the 50's. mkent1:)

Great pic' Lynn and if it had been a few weeks earlier it could have been me. I had been staying with my sister who lives near The Golden Hind and we went to those shops a few time during my stay.

Pom :angel:

Anyone remember Gwynne's, the tobacconist and sweet shop, which might have been on the extreme left of the pic or just off it? Although I left Brum nearly 50 years ago, I still have memories many of those places, very different from what they are today. By a coincidence, about 20 years ago a chappie (truck driver spending the night away) came into our pub in Croydon, and as soon as we got talking it was obvious he came from Brum. And not long after that it transpired that he had been a paper boy working for Gwynnes in the 1960s, just after I had left. He knew a lot of our neighbours and my schoolmates.
There's another very nice pic of Hawthorn Road shops in black and white on Keith Berry's excellent site.
Peter

Great shot but not as nice as the shops used to look. We used to call in at Gwynne's for penny chews on our way to swim at Kingstanding Baths. It's such a small world isn't it. Thinking of the story about the fellow you met who was a paper boy at Gwynnes.
Great also that you had a chance to visit those shops Pom on your visit earlier on.

Peter I got all my records for years at a shop called Taylor's

Peter I got all my records for years at a shop called Taylor's

Taylors
The daughter of this shops owners, was in my class at Warren Farm School.. Norma Taylor.:)

I did a paper round for Gwynnes and later for Kirtons and we bought our first TV and washing machine from Sweeneys which was a couple of doors down from Gwynnes.
On the corner of Warren Farm Road there was Foster Brothers and on the opposite side of the road was a sweet shop called The Bijou. E.

I was amazed to see myself! I remember all these shops and more....I lived for the Gwynnes sale to get the half price Pippa doll outfits! Sunday evenings we went "window shopping" as a family - loved looking at all the things we couldn't afford. Nowadays you can go and look at all the metal shutters! It is a terrible shame because the shopping centre is quite bleak.....

The only sweet shop I remember was The Cabin....... with my big penny, I couldn't reach the counter!
My dad would buy me a box of Paynes peppermint creams every time I read a school book but he grew wise when I was reading a new book every two days!

Littlewoods had a food department, Woolworths is still there, Boots, W J Taylor (the record booth was at the back), Wrensons, Wimbush, a row of Co-op shops, Leavers, Robinsons grocers, Williams the Furniture store, even a Dorothy Perkins!

Was it Harry Kirton who was at Kirtons? I can still picture him! I hated going there because my dad could gossip for hours with him!!!!

Billy Kirton, a former Villa player, owned it but he had a manager running it, don't know if he was related to Billy.
Billy used to pop in most days.
The Bijou sweet shop was the end shop on the left in Warren Farm Road next to the first house. But I'm older than you:).

Paynes poppets? Not while the sweets were rationed. E.

Very recognisable today. This is the parade of shops opposite Charlton Road and near the junction of Warren Road. The Post Office (right) and letter box are still there, but the phone box has gone.
Screenshot_20240415_190108_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240416_061635_Maps.jpg
    Screenshot_20240416_061635_Maps.jpg
    331.6 KB · Views: 3
You'll remember Taylors the music centre shop then, it was a double-fronted shop in the late 1960s. When they extended the shop, Les Dawson did the opening ceremony.

My mum used to run Wright's the Bakers shop next door. I used to go into Perry Common Library after school to do my homework, then walk up to meet mum and walk home with her -or alternatively help her clear up for the next day. Any leftover bread was bagged up ready for collection by the Wrights van for pig feed (or could have been a Bradford Bakeries van) when they delivered the fresh bread the next day. Certain cakes were put on trays and kept covered in polythene to come out for sale the next day "Yes madam, fresh delivery this morning"!

Last edited:
Mum ordered my ice skating boots from the Co-op, they used to have a shoe department at the Hawthorn Road shop.

I expect my mum knew yours Donbogen. Mum knew most of the other shop keepers on that little parade of shops. A very nice community. They all did each other favours - discounting items etc. Mum used to provide them with sandwiches etc. And she used to cook bacon, sausage or steak sarnies in a frying pan on an upturned electric heater ! Lord knows how she got away with that. But her shop was one of the most profitable Wright's shops - and enterprising !

Last edited:
Back