• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hawthorn House Handsworth

what is it now ?

I don't know I'm afraid, I don't live in Brum now and I haven't been in the area for a few years. However, I seem to remember reading that it had been bought by a family who were intending to convert it back into a family house - perhaps someone else on the board has some up to date info?

i cant seem to find out about this house at the min...think it is or was on friary road handsworth not even sure if it was visible from the road...maybe a street walk may find it...will have a look later on

lyn

New to the Forum and looking today as my relative was Samuel Downing an Iron master from West Bromwich. Some papers were passed to me after the recent death of my aunt and included was the marriage certificate of William John Randon and Catherine Sarah Downing, Samuel eldest daughter. Residence at time of marriage is "Hawthorn House". This was November 1886. I see from the above info that Jackie Peevor's relative left the employment there due to the death of the owner, Mrs Bullock, wife of an iron master. Thus the house would likely have been sold and I do wonder if the property was bought by the Downing family in late 1885/1886. Previously they had live at 85 Holyhead Road.Downing moved eventually to The Norlands in Erdington where he died in 1900.
Any local knowledge or assistance with confirming or rejecting this would be very gratefully received. Recently moved from Worcestershire to Aberdeenshire and so local research is no longer viable.....!!
Hi there..... Samuel James Downing is my great,great great grandfather and I have done considerable research on the family .... including the Randon family... William John Randon my gggrandfather and Catherine Downing is my gg grandmother... so I guess you and I are amazing. I can confirm much of what you have said and I am sure I can add a lot more info of interest for you...

New to the Forum and looking today as my relative was Samuel Downing an Iron master from West Bromwich. Some papers were passed to me after the recent death of my aunt and included was the marriage certificate of William John Randon and Catherine Sarah Downing, Samuel eldest daughter. Residence at time of marriage is "Hawthorn House". This was November 1886. I see from the above info that Jackie Peevor's relative left the employment there due to the death of the owner, Mrs Bullock, wife of an iron master. Thus the house would likely have been sold and I do wonder if the property was bought by the Downing family in late 1885/1886. Previously they had live at 85 Holyhead Road.Downing moved eventually to The Norlands in Erdington where he died in 1900.
Any local knowledge or assistance with confirming or rejecting this would be very gratefully received. Recently moved from Worcestershire to Aberdeenshire and so local research is no longer viable.....!!

Hi there..... Samuel James Downing is my great,great great grandfather and I have done considerable research on the family .... including the Randon family... William John Randon my gggrandfather and Catherine Downing is my gg grandmother... so I guess you and I are amazing. I can confirm much of what you have said and I am sure I can add a lot more info of interest for you...

Last edited:
Fred
WE would recommend you remove your email address to prevent receiving spam on it. You may communicate using the "conversations" ebvelope on the top right of the page and give him your email

Thank you ... newby here ...
Thank you ... newby here ...
I did send an email as you suggested.... as I am new here (excuse my ignorance) .. will the gent who wrote the initial comment, see my response, does he get a notification in his personal emai... or will he have to log back into this site?

A member has to have opted to receive notifications. This is done in the ‘Preferences’ option in their BHF account. So if the member hasn’t opted to receive notifications, afraid you’re relying on them signing in to see your messages.

The member was last on here on 25/10/2020, so almost 3 weeks ago.

Viv.

Last edited:
Thanks!
The article was from 2013 so I guess they got permission to put the playground in front of the house eventually.

Hawthorne House was once owned by Birmingham Social Services dept. and in the 1960's-70's it was used as a residential home for children 'in care' under the age of 5. There was also a building in the grounds which was used as accommodation for the Nursery Nurses. I used to work there in the early 1970's. Both buildings were wonderful examples of old buildings and it's great that the main house hasn't been demolished although I think the Nurses home went to make space for housing. Hey ho what memories! I hadn't thought about that part of my life for years! Good hunting, Di
I was one of the children there 1976-1977 with my sisters Jenny & Patricia.

On closer inspection I notice several prams and a cot in the porch, doubtless babies having their ‘airing’. There are several toys too, small prams and ride-on toys. So they obviously cared for children from babies and toddlers. Viv.

Last edited:
Back