• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hawthorn House Handsworth

Am interested in old pictures of the interior of the house, esp the stained glass window on the main staircase. If any one has any please drop me a line.

Not old pictures but three from the Birmingham Post following the sale of the house to a family who are restoring it. So glad they bought it for restoration. Beautiful Georgian place! Viv.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361795153.252925.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361795164.486539.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361795172.690242.jpg

I was told by a family relative that my great Grandfather, John Peevor, was a founder of the Handsworth Flower Show. They lived in Finch Road in 1911 and before that in Friary Road in 1881 so I'm not sure when he was involved with the show and how true the family story is. Does anyone have any information to support/refute the story?

probably a silly question but is hawthorn house still standing

lyn

Yes, I'm sure it is, the last I heard was that it had been bought by a family who were going to renovate it - there is some information on the other thread I mentioned (sorry, I'm not very good at linking things on my phone!)

See if this works!

Thanks Lyn
Has anyone on here worked or know of anyone that worked at Hawthorne House when it was a children's home?
Lisa I'd like to know this too
I was an orphan at this house in the early 70s. Would love to find out if any of the staff are still around. I guess they will be in their 70s now. I only recall 3 or 4 names...
Gaynor Aston
Hillary
Diane
Sue (white hair, pale blue eyes, albino is the term I think)

Hawthorne House was once owned by Birmingham Social Services dept. and in the 1960's-70's it was used as a residential home for children 'in care' under the age of 5. There was also a building in the grounds which was used as accommodation for the Nursery Nurses. I used to work there in the early 1970's. Both buildings were wonderful examples of old buildings and it's great that the main house hasn't been demolished although I think the Nurses home went to make space for housing. Hey ho what memories! I hadn't thought about that part of my life for years! Good hunting, Di
Diane you may well have looked after me ❤

I was an orphan there with my brother and sister in 1979/1980 I am trying to find my biological family but would also love any information about the children's home. I was so young, was there from 3 months old to about 18 months old I believe. And would love to know how many children were there? if there are any staff that were working there at the time could fill in some gaps or see any pictures of what it was like inside at that time? Anything really?

I was an orphan there with my brother and sister in 1979/1980 I am trying to find my biological family but would also love any information about the children's home. I was so young, was there from 3 months old to about 18 months old I believe. And would love to know how many children were there? if there are any staff that were working there at the time could fill in some gaps or see any pictures of what it was like inside at that time? Anything really?

welcome to the forum charlie....all the best with your research

lyn

New to the Forum and looking today as my relative was Samuel Downing an Iron master from West Bromwich. Some papers were passed to me after the recent death of my aunt and included was the marriage certificate of William John Randon and Catherine Sarah Downing, Samuel eldest daughter. Residence at time of marriage is "Hawthorn House". This was November 1886. I see from the above info that Jackie Peevor's relative left the employment there due to the death of the owner, Mrs Bullock, wife of an iron master. Thus the house would likely have been sold and I do wonder if the property was bought by the Downing family in late 1885/1886. Previously they had live at 85 Holyhead Road.Downing moved eventually to The Norlands in Erdington where he died in 1900.
Any local knowledge or assistance with confirming or rejecting this would be very gratefully received. Recently moved from Worcestershire to Aberdeenshire and so local research is no longer viable.....!!

Back