• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Hawthorn House Handsworth

I was an orphan there with my brother and sister in 1979/1980 I am trying to find my biological family but would also love any information about the children's home. I was so young, was there from 3 months old to about 18 months old I believe. And would love to know how many children were there? if there are any staff that were working there at the time could fill in some gaps or see any pictures of what it was like inside at that time? Anything really?
Hi Charlie, I was briefly placed at HH in the late 70s as part of my NNEB training. I clearly recall three siblings...two girls and a boy. I got to know the young lad pretty well and have often thought of him over the years. I would be more than happy to share my memories as well as some pictures if you are one of the sisters. Best, Maria.

Thanks Lyn
Has anyone on here worked or know of anyone that worked at Hawthorne House when it was a children's home?
Hi Lisa, I was given a student placement at HH for a couple of months in 1978. I recall a family of 3 siblings...John, Lisa, and Suzanne. I got to know John quite well. Was this your family? If so, I'd love to hear from you. Regards, Maria.

There was a staircase window made for Hawthorn House which was exhibited at the Great Exhibition in Kensington in 1862. It accompanied a larger church piece made by Mr Holland of Warwick. (All articles from British Newspaper Archive).
Viv

107F52AB-784A-4371-ABFA-65B32E4F080E.jpeg

The marriage of Bullock’s daughter, Lydia Marion.
9E439B99-10A8-4717-A056-A36B36A9B9BA.jpeg

The death of his son Francis Smallwood
E4D85A61-E876-4C07-86FF-7C16DA86B1CB.jpeg

Hawthorne House Hampstead. I was training to be a nursery nurse in 1962. It was a residential Home for children under 4years of age. Staff lived in the nurses home. Some of the parents used to visit the children at weekends but most were orphans. I used to look after them (someone cooked their meals) I/and others! did the washing, ironing etc I/we took them for walks. We were allowed to take 5 children. The children under one were looked after in a separate part. Each unit had a name. Saturn, North Star, Mars, ++ the young ones were in a section called the Milky way.
We had to take the nappies to be burnt. It was scary. You had to go down into the cellar to the boiler. Does anyone remember Hawthorne House? It was a beautiful old building. I guess it has now been demolished as it was in beautiful gardens in an area where building land is sort after

Hawthorne House Hampstead. I was training to be a nursery nurse in 1962. It was a residential Home for children under 4years of age. Staff lived in the nurses home. Some of the parents used to visit the children at weekends but most were orphans. I used to look after them (someone cooked their meals) I/and others! did the washing, ironing etc I/we took them for walks. We were allowed to take 5 children. The children under one were looked after in a separate part. Each unit had a name. Saturn, North Star, Mars, ++ the young ones were in a section called the Milky way.
We had to take the nappies to be burnt. It was scary. You had to go down into the cellar to the boiler. Does anyone remember Hawthorne House? It was a beautiful old building. I guess it has now been demolished as it was in beautiful gardens in an area where building land is sort after

thanks barbara nice memories....as the house is still there and i am hoping to be out and about with my camera tomorrow i will try and get near enough to take a few decent photos

lyn

That would be great. Thank you. The person that was over the nursery nurse was a Ms. Richards or Richardson. She was scary. Short, straight hair cut round like a bowl. We had to be in by 10pm. I remember going up the fire escape, with others, and climbing through a window that we had left open. In the nurses house there was a cat that used to sit and wait for you and leap out and frighten you. The matron over the children was lovely. I don't remember her name. I was only 15 so wasnt allowed to attend the college to do my training until I was 16. The working day was 7am across to the main house, breakfast and 6pm finish. You ate with the children.
Several of us had pen friends that were in the army. I thought mine was called 'fus' so used to write Dear fus.....after several letters he told me that 'fus' was for fusilier and that his name was Tommy. One of the trainee nurses married her pen friend. Her name was Christine

Thankyou Lyn for taking the trouble to post up to date pictures of Hawthorne House. Certainly looks different. Looks like a wedding venue

Back