• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hawthorn House Handsworth

gingerjon

master brummie
does any one have information about Hawthorn House a listed building now a library, any information or photographs wanted, if any one as any photographs or information about this area please contact me as soon as possible

Hawthorne House was once owned by Birmingham Social Services dept. and in the 1960's-70's it was used as a residential home for children 'in care' under the age of 5. There was also a building in the grounds which was used as accommodation for the Nursery Nurses. I used to work there in the early 1970's. Both buildings were wonderful examples of old buildings and it's great that the main house hasn't been demolished although I think the Nurses home went to make space for housing. Hey ho what memories! I hadn't thought about that part of my life for years! Good hunting, Di

They had a mad dog that used to chase us out when we were in the cub scouts next door lol happy days :d

Hi guys

I'm trying to find out a little more about Hawthorne House. Does anyone know what it was originally built for and what year it was built in?

Many thanks.

The house would have originally been built as a private residence. The occupant in 1851 and 1861 was Edwin Bullock and in 1880 was Mrs Bullock, though I am not certain that Edwin built it. Edwin was an ironfounder of West Bromwich , He seemed to collect paintings , owning paintings by Constable , Turner and David Cox.
mike

has anybody any information at all about governesses in 1912? Thanks Angela

From a dictionary of old trades,titles and occupations
" a governess... A childminder and teacher combined "

If the local people have not managed to save the library it closes this Saturday. I remember it being a home for children during the 60s and 70s.

Hawthorne House was built in the early 1800s but changed & extended. The staircase & a stained glass window is Victorian. It will be interesting to see what happens to this building.

My mom worked there in the 60s and we used to go there as kids when we were off school. I remember the kitchens, warm milk for us all and a spectacular play room opening out to the front and the spectacular staircase. I remember mom being sad about some of the children that resided there. The caretaker was a Mr Hancox who I think lived in the nurses home, which has now been demolished. I think there was a small pond at the rear of the house.

Back