• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hawkes Street

chriseponymous

Brummie babby
Hi Everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first post so please be kind! I am currently researching my family tree on my father's side (Bown) and I already know that they moved from Gloucester to Birmingham in the late 1880s. Having already carried out much research on the Bown's in Gloucester I have now turned my attention to their time in Birmingham. My Great Great Great Granddad, George Charles Bown is recorded as living in Hawkes Street in 1891 and was a Wood Sawyer. What I am after, if you kind people could oblige, is some photos of Hawkes Street before the back to backs were knocked down. George lived there till he died in 1924 and resided at 3 Laburnum Terrace, 43, 59 and 75 Hawkes Street. Much of the Bown family were born, lived and died here so any photos or memories of the Street would be appreciated. I do have some early photos that may of been taken in Hawkes Street but unfortunately I don't have any confirmation. Thank you!Annie Bown (Nee Smith).jpgDorothy, Winifred, Norman and Gertrude (Left To Right Front) Philip and Frank Bown (Left To Righ.jpgHarry Bown.jpg

Hi chriseponymous, I had never heard of Hawkes street before, but there is one in Small Heath, by Coventry Rd.
Sorry I haven't any photos but I did like the ones you posted.
rosie.

Hi Kejaha,

Thank you for the reply. It's an old post that I still keep an eye on! Do you know when the houses originally there were demolished? If you have any photos of the street i would love to see them. Thanks again.

Kind Regards
Chris Bown

best i can do is this one..hawkes st on the left..sorry dont know the st/rd on the right

lyn

hawkes street.jpg

Hi there
I know its an old thread but Chris I lived at 59 Hawkes Street from about 1960 to 1964

Do you have any street scenes near your home of the time - I guess that it was changed since 19th C.? we have family who lived at 50 Hawkes Street in 1881

My grandfather was Raymond Joseph Bown he lived on Monica Road in Small Heath which is about a mile away from Hawkes Street :)

I'm 76 and my great,great grandfather John Stone on my mother's side put his address down on the 1871 census as Hawkes Street Freeholders Tavern. I'm not sure whether he was the publican at the time or just drank a lot. His father before him (also named John Stone) listed himself as a "Sword Cutter". Anyone know what that is?

John Stone is listed as a beer retailer in the 1867, 1868 and 1872 directories at 15 Hawkes st, but had been replaced by James Mason in the 1873 edition (year is publication date and would probably refer to year before). As it is named as the Freeholders tavern on the census as a beer retailer it means it was a beerhouse { it had a licence to sell beer and cider, but not spirits). A John Stone (either him or his father) is listed in 1862 directory as a matchet maker (now called machete).

My great grandparents lived at 77 Hawkes Street in the 1921 census, so they could have been your relative's neighbours!

Hi Jane,
I've had a quick look, my great granddad Douglas Bown was living in Laburnham Terrace Hawkes Street. I think the terrace was between 65 and 75 Hawkes so very close to where you grandparents lived!

Hi Jane,
I've had a quick look, my great granddad Douglas Bown was living in Laburnham Terrace Hawkes Street. I think the terrace was between 65 and 75 Hawkes so very close to where you grandparents lived!
My great grandmother is a complete brick wall in my genealogy search. I got quite exciting when I thought you may have a connection to them! I couldn't wait to get a copy of the 1921 census page and it threw up far more questions than answers, unfortunately.

My great grandmother is a complete brick wall in my genealogy search. I got quite exciting when I thought you may have a connection to them! I couldn't wait to get a copy of the 1921 census page and it threw up far more questions than answers, unfortunately.

Interesting. I had a bit of a search for your great grandmother (Mabel Kathleen) and tricky as you say. Nothing definite before 1901 and the only thing that would be even considered a tenuous connection, which you may have seen, is a Foley family living in the Pontypool area in 1881. They do have a daughter of the right age but she is listed as Mary born Cork. Changes/mistakes happen but maybe a bit of a stretch.

William seems quite interesting also, appearing under a number of names and leaving his first family.

Thank you. It's so frustrating and the name changes are a complete mystery. In 1911 they take on the name Folley, then for some reason it changes to Hardy. My one thought is that my ggrandfather was a bookie and I wonder if he changed his name to avoid people.

I thought it would have something to do with William abandoning his wife and children, though he seemed to be only living about a mile from them in 1921.

Being a bookie would good reason.

I thought it would have something to do with William abandoning his wife and children, though he seemed to be only living about a mile from them in 1921.

Being a bookie would good reason.
I'm not sure because he does turn up at his children's weddings!

Back