• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Havelock Road, Saltley

maccalenny

master brummie
Hi everyone

I wondered if anyone knows Havelock Road in Saltley? In researching family history, have found that there were some very close family friends who lived at no24 from their marriage in 1910 to around 1945, from the electoral roll. I've looked at google maps, and it looks like a few houses are missing from the row - wondered if it was bomb damage?
Just in case anyone remembers them - they were Trew Harold Billingham, known as Harold, and his wife Sarah-Anne, born Skidmore. She was known in our family as Auntie Lar. I think they moved to the Warwick area for a while, where Harold died in 1961, but Sarah-Anne's death was reg'd in Birmingham in 1967. They had no children.

Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.

Kate

Fashionz

master brummie
Hi Kate,

What in particular do you need to know? I'm familiar with Havelock, the bottom end between the rock and Philimore Rd.

Fashionz

maccalenny

master brummie
Hi - thanks for replying. I was really wondering why this couple left soon after 1945, and, seeing the gap in the houses that seems to be around no 24, wondered if anyone knew if there was bomb damage done in the war, and the houses demolished.

Kate

pmullin

I was born at 10 Havelock Road in 1951, It was my Grandparents house, Fred and Elsie Tovey. My Gt Grandma, Maggie Tovey lived at number 14, there was a lady named Mrs S??? at number 16 then there was nothing but bomb buildings until the Havelock Pub. Does anyone remember Dolly's shop on the other side of the road, next to the gully leading to The Rock Cinema car park?

Andrea

GTGN33

Brummie babby
0285.JPG I think this is Havelock Road. My Nan and Gt Grandparents lived there and my gt grandparents are both in this picture.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
what a smashing photo GTGN33..even when clicked on 3 times to enlarge the clarity is fantastic...

lyn

Last edited:

MWS

master brummie
That's a great photo of Havelock Road. Is it the Coronation? My great aunt and some of her children lived on Havelock Road, 127 and 158.

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
That's a great photo of Havelock Road. Is it the Coronation? My great aunt and some of her children lived on Havelock Road, 127 and 158.

i was wondering what the occasion was as well...could be the queens coronation st party or end of war party...either way a cracking photo...

lyn

dek carr

gone but not forgotten
It looks like Ve-day celebrations to me there,s not many men there they would still be conscripted and i notice a "Rising Sun Flag hanging in the middle of the photo.

Ken_R

master brummie
Hi everyone

I wondered if anyone knows Havelock Road in Saltley? In researching family history, have found that there were some very close family friends who lived at no24 from their marriage in 1910 to around 1945,
In the 1945 electoral roll they are shown as living at 24 Medina Road.

GTGN33

Brummie babby
I think its VE Day looking at the age of my gt grandparents.
They lived at 168 Havelock Road as did my Nan in her younger years.