• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Have your taste buds changed over the years?.

Bob,

Somewhere, and I've a vague idea it was connected with Cadburys, used to show foreign films once a month, and a mate and I used to go regularly. O Cangaceiro was one I remembered and enjoyed. It was apparently Brazil's first international film success and was remade in 1997, but I bet it wasn't half as exciting as the original black & white version.

I was virtually force fed Tripe cooked in milk. My grandad sold it in his cafe on Tyburn rd, and i spent hours stirring and turning it in a big old clothes boiler! With a wooden clothes plier sort of thing. Hated it then, and still do!
I loved sausage and mash made by my nan, salt and butter galore. My mom Was, and at 92, still is, a hopeless cook. Tinned peas and great chunks of boiled potato with everything- Never varied. But agreat Mom in every other way. Discovered Stilton, Asparagus, Tiramisu, Partridge and Pheasant, Claret, Pears in Honey, and other delights in my teens. Crispy bacon in USA, salted pork neck in Germany, Kebabs on the street in Turkey.
Took me 40 years to get Diabetes, 1 heart attack and Kidney Cancer. NHS sorted me out, i stopped smoking, and now live in the most food obsessed country in the world!
In 3 years i doubt i have sampled 5% of what is on offer here, but i try to behave. I have Muesli or porridge for brekkie every day, my wife and her mom pity me as they tuck into sticky rice, fish soup, chickens feet, god knows how many dishes of spiced up veggies and various leaves from the garden and fields. Bananas, mangoes, mangosteens, longans and numerous other fruits grow in the garden and fish and lumps of pork appear from friendly neighbours.
I have discovered baked beans in Tesco Lotus, only 60km away, and managed to make a cottage pie with Australian Beef last month. Looks of horror from Thai neighbours, (cows are virtual house pets), but a big baking dish of it swiftly disappeared when offered with a cold beer!
Would give much fine gold for a good sticky toffee pudding.

Nice story, John. I'm afraid I am not a very adventurous eater - if it doesn't look "right", then I won't try it, and I need to know of any unusal ingredients! I love fish, shrimps, prawns, crab, and when I can afford it, lobster. But on the no-no list are all other shellfish, octopus, kalimari, cuttlefish and any other weird stuff.
As far as meat is concerned, I only eat chicken & occasionally turkey, but no offal of any kind. The locals eat snails, mussels, and other things on my no-no list. There's plenty of snails in the garden, but they don't appear to take up my offer of "help yourself"! :)

Maurice

Hi Maurice, Like you, i back off from some of the weird things that my wife, and to a greater extent, her mom will eat with relish.Today we were in the daily market and many of the local women set up stall,( a cardboard box), on the roadside. I saw Ginka, ?spelling?, a sort of 12"-18" lizard. Skinned and cooked, something in a liquid in a plastic bag, which my wife said was python, and several scrawny, plucked fowl which may once have been related to a crow.
Not being tempted, we got our usual chicken, pork and went in search of giant prawns or seabass. Alas, storms have kept the boats inshore so no luck.
The usual prepared, ready to eat meals are offered in plastic bags closed with a rubber band and with a side dish of spicy sauce for any suicidal foreigners. Locals shell out 40p or so and look fit enough on it!
Thai deserts are usually coconut milk based, and a bit bland, but we have established rapport with an enterprising lady who will come up with my choice of banana, caramel, orange or strawberry based concoctions, some of which are stunning! At about 35p for half a pint we try them all and report back!

Sounds like you got it sussed, John - don't eat what you don't trust. And Greek sweets are all sugar, so I always opt for a scoop of plain vanilla ice cream, not that I feel like eating much more by the time I get to that stage anyway, and most places offer fresh fruit anyway.

Maurice

I absolutely love creamy blue Stilton, sitting there on the evening with cherry tomatoes, Jacob's crackers, some grapes and a wedge of Stilton. I also love black pudding, which I've eaten for as long as I can remember, I could only imagine what my boy would say if I offered him black pudding or Stilton. Feel sorry for folks now though, everything is in a plastic tray with a peel off cellophane top which you blast for 3 minutes in a box then call it a meal. Speed food is all kids eat now just processed rubbish

ade,When I worked at Marsh & Baxters in the garage I can't tell you how many Rings of Black Pudding I cadged of the sales men.I have tried and tried it were we live but none tastes like M&Bs did.We used to get up to Brum 3-4 times a year and get nice Black pudding in the meat market.
Like Maurice I'm into seafoods.Last weekend went down to Folkestone ,came back with some very large Crabs Claws andPrawns also some lovely Cod and Skate Knobs

ade,When I worked at Marsh & Baxters in the garage I can't tell you how many Rings of Black Pudding I cadged of the sales men.I have tried and tried it were we live but none tastes like M&Bs did.We used to get up to Brum 3-4 times a year and get nice Black pudding in the meat market.
Like Maurice I'm into seafoods.Last weekend went down to Folkestone ,came back with some very large Crabs Claws andPrawns also some lovely Cod and Skate Knobs
Yes you are right there Edifi some companies definitely make a far superior black pudding than the off the shelf stuff. It's a bit like scratching's the proper market one's are superb compared to the mass manufactured pub brand one's

Saying about scratchings.My uncle when he had RTP Crisps my father fried the pork Scratching for him .He named them Porky with a pig in a butchers apron on.The are still made today but in CORBY.There is a Co in Tamworth that make a good tasting one as well.We by them from Home Bargains were we live in Kent

Sitting at home lunch time I was wondering what to have to eat.Went to the cupboard first thing I spotted was OXO Cubes.My mind went back to my youth when we had hot Bovril.So took out 2 cubes,put in a Mug with some pepper and hot water.Did myself some Buttered Toast.What a lovely lunch as good as Bovril

Sitting at home lunch time I was wondering what to have to eat.Went to the cupboard first thing I spotted was OXO Cubes.My mind went back to my youth when we had hot Bovril.So took out 2 cubes,put in a Mug with some pepper and hot water.Did myself some Buttered Toast.What a lovely lunch as good as Bovril

Mmmm that sounds yummy, when I am feeling like something savoury ... sometimes... dont laugh, I have a lovely slice of buttered toast with a scraping of bovril on it , I have loved it since I was a kid.

The only offal I will eat is black pudding , faggots , pigs trotter although I have'nt had one for years . I notice quite a few members don't like brocolli . I love it whats more it's good for you gut, nowadays I'll eat more or less anything , but you can keep your tripe , brains, chitterlings not for me thank you .

Haven't had a pigs trotter ( foot) for years.Found they lacked any meat to what they used too have

Back