• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Haseley Hall

i can remember a worker named marrion and one name lynn if its them and i do remember some new staff starting and a few leaving over time i was there.

hi Adrian, do you remember me? Brendan Griffith I remember you, and many others including Clifford Adams and Delory Edwards.

hello there brendan how are you ,yes i remember a lad named brendan from that time sorry if couldnt remember surname , it has been a couple years off comming to 50 years since i left there, yes i do remember clifford adams and a few names delroy edwards rings a bell, have you heard from anyone else over the years, i spoke to a former member of staff online about 10 years ago, and to some one who was there before i went there about 6 years ago. hope life has treated you good after we all left .i recently started to enquire about haseley hall over the last few years in my spare time and do wonder if anyone has done the same, i do have fond memories of that time. how did you find your time there? hope to catch up soon take care

Hi Adrian, I remember you from many years ago my locker was number 3 and if I remember right yours was number 40. I have loads of treasured memories from Haseley and remember lots of people, however I haven’t met or got in touch with anyone since I left. I’ve always wanted to but never known how to. My last dormitory was wolves and I shared the room with Delory Clive and Richard. We tried to escape one night and got caught by Miss Royal. Do you still live in Birmingham or have you moved away?

hi brendan i was locker number 1 , i was in rabbitts when i was there at first and then i was in the dorm at the end of the hall just before the steps onto the surgery it may of been wolves or foxes, i do remember miss royal and mrs branchaw who used to read us stories before bed time i remember mr taybor the caretaker and quite a few names of staff and teachers.

That makes sense your locker was on the right of mine. Do you remember Christmas? When we had to line up to mix the Christmas pudding, and the nativity plays. I remember a tall black man Josep Poxon, and I hid his sandles one afternoon. The next day we all had to look for them, I found them straight away and I was made to eat my dinner downstairs in the hall by your locker. Christmas was lovely there and I remember making decorations and hated when we had to go in the paddling pool. By the way I think the old car has since gone and haseley hall is now posh apartments. I revisited around 5 years ago and walked around the grounds, it was very emotional.

That makes sense your locker was on the right of mine. Do you remember Christmas? When we had to line up to mix the Christmas pudding, and the nativity plays. I remember a tall black man Josep Poxon, and I hid his sandles one afternoon. The next day we all had to look for them, I found them straight away and I was made to eat my dinner downstairs in the hall by your locker. Christmas was lovely there and I remember making decorations and hated when we had to go in the paddling pool. By the way I think the old car has since gone and haseley hall is now posh apartments. I revisited around 5 years ago and walked around the grounds, it was very emotional.
Yes christmas time there was great, and of course i remember the nativity plays i played the angel one time and mary another time, i remember getting in trouble a few times there, yes i have been thinking over the decades to go for a visit and walk around that way in 2023 as a 50th year of leaving. yes it is now posh apartments i have seen them advertised and in a recent time a police investigation going on about certain activities and people beried on the grounds. yes i forgot to mention in my last reply i am still around birmingham, i had the chances to move around and abroard during the years, but stayed in the midlands. so what you upto nowadays.

I live in Stourbridge currently but did live in Birmingham for over 40 years. It’s really nice to hear from you as I’ve always wondered what has happened to everyone, and where they are now. I recall our last journey before leaving, I got dropped acocks-green, I ran off the coach as fast as I could without even saying goodbye, and I’ve regretted since. I often wonder what happened to all my friends, but I’ve never found out. Glad to hear your doing okay, please keep in touch.

i live in west bromwich nowadays , and have been to stourbridge on occasions with the mrs, i still remember my last day there sad thinking about it. yes it was great to hear from you and thankyou for getting in touch i hope to be on the sight alot more and of course will put some more stuff on also if i hear anything, take care and chat to you soon

My husband was at Hasley Hall in the 50s from when he was 5 to 7 years old. He hated it, a few funny stories but mostly scary from a childs experience. A few years ago he wrote down his memories.
I had heard his stories many times but many tears were shed writing and reading it. A very emotional time for him .

Hi, i was at haseley hall school between 1967 and 1973 when it was an open air school, i had a happy time there when i look back although some things have changed in todays standards. we slept in rooms witch was named after animals, we had the farm next door and the forrest and the woods to go at the weekend, and i think there was an outside pool if i remember right, i also remember a sun dile thing of sorts made of stone and an old fashion rotten and rusty car , and the play ground was near the green house, the staff treated us good and there were 3 classrooms down stairs for certain ages if i remember right.
Hi Adrian, sorry for jumping into this old thread but scanning through the forum, its clear you have a great memory. I was also at Haseley, I think, between '66 and '69. The room names, boys names and activities you describe are really starting to bring the memories back. Do you remember me, David, skinny, asthmatic black kid? I started in the first room, closest to the farm...those cows:)) I think it was called Rabbits? But I do remember being in Foxes with the very cool bunk beds. Had some fun, interesting times. Visited the place a few years ago (now apartments). The door was wide open so took some pictures and videos of that incredible main staircase. I will post when I find them.

I was at Haseley Hall about 61-62 then Hunters Hill 66-71. Haseley was a nice place in my memory, we used to go down a track to two fields by the road to play and I remember stories of a ghost of a crying child but I never saw or heard anything.One memory I had was a sunday morning in 62 we were walking on the track around the lawn area and a rumour of planes coming over to drop bombs on us went around - I think that was the cuban missile crisis although we weren't aware of this event by name. I have a large group photo taken about 62 in which you'll see many of the kids who went on to Hunters Hill I'll post it when I've repaired it,

I thought I'd post this now rather than delay any longer - I think people would like to see it and I don't have the skills at the moment to repair it properly, one of my younger brothers and sisters drew on the back with a biro in the sixties. If the image uploads properly it should show pupils at the school about 1962 - several would go on to Hunters Hill.

Attachments

• hh6.jpg
    hh6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
My husband was there from 1955. He was 5 years old when he went and was there for 2 years. His memories are awful of the place.

Back