• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Haseley Hall

craiguito

master brummie
As a child, my nan Joan Rosenberg spent some time at Haseley Hall near Warwick. Can anyone please give me more info on what sort of place this was and who it catered for?

Many thanks

Craig

My aunty was at Haseley Hall in the 1920s when she had rheumatic fever. It was a residential hospital and convalescent home I believe. I have a photo of it somewhere...
Jilly

When I worked at Jag/Rov/Triumph we had a place called Haseley Manor which was a training school....is it the same?

No John the place mentioned is close to Five Ways whilst Haseley Manor is at the top of Hertford Hill (sometimes called - incorrectly - Hatton Hill) a few miles on at Hatton.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Craigy,
Sorry came a bit late to this thread, yes Haseley Hall is near Warwick on the Hatton road, a bit of potted history. It was in Victorian times the home of Sir James Sawyer (1844-1919) Head Doctor and surgeon for Birmingham. He was knighted for his services to medicine in Birmingham, but was also a big establishment figure in politics in the city. He nominated Winston Churchill's father for a parliamentary seat in Birmingham.
Some time after his death in 1919 the house became a convalescent home for a large company, then after the war a public one. It is now converted into flats.
Matthew.

As a child, my nan Joan Rosenberg spent some time at Haseley Hall near Warwick. Can anyone please give me more info on what sort of place this was and who it catered for?

Many thank.

Hi I went To Haseley Hall in the early sixtys, I suffered very badly from asthma and was sent there to recover. I knew it as an open air school.
It was like a boarding school I did not have good memories of the place i remember being force fed some greasey turkey soup.
It was near hatton, near warwick,
One good memory Santa came in a Helicopter one snowy evening and we all had a lovely present so it cant have been all that bad funny thing childhood memories..............
MichaelT

My sister and I spent the summer of 1955 in the care of Haseley Hall. The staff were headed by Matron, a kindly lady and Nurse Adams who was the senior person on the shop floor. Most of the staff that dealt with us kids, were young auxiliaries . We slept in dormitories, girls upstairs, boys down. There were two brothers there, also from east London who sported 'crew cuts', quite modern! Sandra Chester was one girl I remember, but most of the names I have forgotten. For the likes of us kids, the building was impressive. At the foot of the stairs was a magnificent carved post which I believe was still there when Haseley Hall became a hotel.
Edwin1944

• Appreciate
Reactions: Bil
I was there 1951 till 1954 and 1955 till 1957 never had any thing but good care and happy memories

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife was there in the early '60s as an auxiliary. The police did investigate a rumour but after a thorough search of the grounds they found nothing. My wife loved working with the children there. I have a few old photos from her time there. I have some of her with some of her with a few of the boys but not on this tablet. I can find them and put them up if you'd like to see them ?2012_01_19_17_54_42.jpg

Attachments

• Haseley hall (1).jpg
    Haseley hall (1).jpg
    364.4 KB · Views: 54
Hi, i was at haseley hall school between 1967 and 1973 when it was an open air school, i had a happy time there when i look back although some things have changed in todays standards. we slept in rooms witch was named after animals, we had the farm next door and the forrest and the woods to go at the weekend, and i think there was an outside pool if i remember right, i also remember a sun dile thing of sorts made of stone and an old fashion rotten and rusty car , and the play ground was near the green house, the staff treated us good and there were 3 classrooms down stairs for certain ages if i remember right.

Hi, i was at haseley hall school between 1967 and 1973 when it was an open air school, i had a happy time there when i look back although some things have changed in todays standards. we slept in rooms witch was named after animals, we had the farm next door and the forrest and the woods to go at the weekend, and i think there was an outside pool if i remember right, i also remember a sun dile thing of sorts made of stone and an old fashion rotten and rusty car , and the play ground was near the green house, the staff treated us good and there were 3 classrooms down stairs for certain ages if i remember right.
My wife left in '67 or'68. Her best friend Lyn who I'm still in touch with left in '69. My sister in law Marrian worked there until '73. So you would probably have known them.

Back