• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Haseley Hall

My husband was at Hasley Hall in the 50s from when he was 5 to 7 years old. He hated it, a few funny stories but mostly scary from a childs experience. A few years ago he wrote down his memories.
I had heard his stories many times but many tears were shed writing and reading it. A very emotional time for him .

Hi, i was at haseley hall school between 1967 and 1973 when it was an open air school, i had a happy time there when i look back although some things have changed in todays standards. we slept in rooms witch was named after animals, we had the farm next door and the forrest and the woods to go at the weekend, and i think there was an outside pool if i remember right, i also remember a sun dile thing of sorts made of stone and an old fashion rotten and rusty car , and the play ground was near the green house, the staff treated us good and there were 3 classrooms down stairs for certain ages if i remember right.
Hi Adrian, sorry for jumping into this old thread but scanning through the forum, its clear you have a great memory. I was also at Haseley, I think, between '66 and '69. The room names, boys names and activities you describe are really starting to bring the memories back. Do you remember me, David, skinny, asthmatic black kid? I started in the first room, closest to the farm...those cows:)) I think it was called Rabbits? But I do remember being in Foxes with the very cool bunk beds. Had some fun, interesting times. Visited the place a few years ago (now apartments). The door was wide open so took some pictures and videos of that incredible main staircase. I will post when I find them.

I was at Haseley Hall about 61-62 then Hunters Hill 66-71. Haseley was a nice place in my memory, we used to go down a track to two fields by the road to play and I remember stories of a ghost of a crying child but I never saw or heard anything.One memory I had was a sunday morning in 62 we were walking on the track around the lawn area and a rumour of planes coming over to drop bombs on us went around - I think that was the cuban missile crisis although we weren't aware of this event by name. I have a large group photo taken about 62 in which you'll see many of the kids who went on to Hunters Hill I'll post it when I've repaired it,

I thought I'd post this now rather than delay any longer - I think people would like to see it and I don't have the skills at the moment to repair it properly, one of my younger brothers and sisters drew on the back with a biro in the sixties. If the image uploads properly it should show pupils at the school about 1962 - several would go on to Hunters Hill.

Attachments

• hh6.jpg
    hh6.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
My husband was there from 1955. He was 5 years old when he went and was there for 2 years. His memories are awful of the place.

Hello, Im Peter Logan, im the lad on left of the photo with Kenny Nesbitt and John (whose surname I can't recall). I was at the home from 1965-68.

Does anyone else remember being in a cubs group? Or Miss Butler-Fleming?
Is it possible that there are any more photographs available, please?
Attached is a photo me and my Cousin Marion, whose husband (Geoffery Wyatt) had been in the home in the 50s.

Attachments

• 20211031_110034.jpg
    20211031_110034.jpg
    769.1 KB · Views: 15
Finally found a forum about Hasley Hall. My father Alan Leslie Roberts was born in 1949, sadly passed away in 2005 but stayed at Hasley when I think he was around 7yrs old. He has severe asthma back then and attended the school for I think a few years - so maybe in the 1956/57 period. He later went on to move to NewQuay in Wales where he lived with his grandparents to be close to the clean air of the Welsh beaches, where he met my mother and the rest as you say is history. He did return to Hasley hall around 2000 and I think he said it was I think was then already flats. I remember seeing a photo of him next to a stone sundial. I also remember him telling me about a Mrs Flemming? I’d love to hear if anyone attended the hall at the time my father was there and if they can recall anything of him. My dad never spoke badly of the place. If I can get the photos I’ll scan and put them up here.

Finally found a forum about Hasley Hall. My father Alan Leslie Roberts was born in 1949, sadly passed away in 2005 but stayed at Hasley when I think he was around 7yrs old. He has severe asthma back then and attended the school for I think a few years - so maybe in the 1956/57 period. He later went on to move to NewQuay in Wales where he lived with his grandparents to be close to the clean air of the Welsh beaches, where he met my mother and the rest as you say is history. He did return to Hasley hall around 2000 and I think he said it was I think was then already flats. I remember seeing a photo of him next to a stone sundial. I also remember him telling me about a Mrs Flemming? I’d love to hear if anyone attended the hall at the time my father was there and if they can recall anything of him. My dad never spoke badly of the place. If I can get the photos I’ll scan and put them up here.
Hi there, my name is Pete Logan, I was at Hasley Hall from 1964-68. My cousin, Jeff Wyatt, was probably there at the time your Dad was. I believe the Headmistress' name was Ms Butler-Flemming. I also had a positive time there and thought it was a wonderful school, looking back on it with fond memories.

Hi Pete, that is great to hear. I will be heading down to Wales shortly and will see if I can find the photographs so I can scan and put them on here for everyone.

It is a shame my father is no longer with us. I am sure his memories of the school would only serve to help others build up a picture of the place.

For me, Hasley Hall was just something that my father mentioned to me when I started to board at school as a chorister at Llandaff. He used his experience at Hasley to empathise with my homesickness at being 10 and living away from home for the first time.

If anyone does have any memory of my father I’d be ever so grateful of any information or funny stories that may have happened to him.

Thanks again for reaching out.

Darren

Hi there, my name is Pete Logan, I was at Hasley Hall from 1964-68. My cousin, Jeff Wyatt, was probably there at the time your Dad was. I believe the Headmistress' name was Ms Butler-Flemming. I also had a positive time there and thought it was a wonderful school, looking back on it with fond memories.
Hello there peter , my name is adrian king i was just passing through and reading a few posts and seen that you was at hasley hall around the same time, i was there from around 67 to 73, i believe the head mistress name was miss royal at the time i was there, hope the years have been good to you over the years, and yes i had very good memorys there as well , well good look and hope to chat to you soon.

Hi,Guys
I attended Haseley Hall back in around 65-68.My name is Rofik. Hopefully someone will remember that name. I have just joined this forum and read messages on here. A bit late I know but I also have fond memories of my time there. It is over 50 odd years ago. Reading here has helped jog my memory. I remember Miss Flemming. I was in the Rabbit dormitory then on to the Foxes. I was related to a lad called Colin Henry. Think the teacher was Mrs Sharman. I was a sixer in the cubs. Think it was because I was one of the eldest. I remember the outside pool being built. We all had that purple ointment put on for grazes afterwards. Remember a pet rabbit and dormouse kept in a shed. I used to have to feed and water them every day. Would love to see any pics relating to that time. Funny what stays with you, I remember after breakfast if you were lucky your parents sent letters and parcels. When I left, I used to hate the ending of the magic roundabout when Zebedee would say "time for bed" Funny memories.I do recall that if you were still regarded as ill, some were sent to Switzerland.

Hi, my name is David Yale & I was at Haseley Hall from probably 1951/2 to '56/7. I was one of the asthma sufferers. I can't remember boys names but I do remember Miss Butler Flemming who was the Head of the school. She was a stern figure who most boys held in awe. My favourite (nurse?) was Miss Abraham who taught me how to tie my boot laces properly.
I enjoyed my time there & have good memories of taking kitchen scraps in buckets to feed the pigs at the local farm. We were housed in dormitories named 'Squirrel, Fox, Badger etc. The food looking back was excellent, the smell of bacon for breakfast in the morning still lingers in memory as does the sunday dinner smell, though a little overwhelmed by the boiling cabbage, lol. A favourite day was definitely sunday where we were all seated on the floor in the hall in a large expectant & excited circle around which would be passed the SWEET TIN!! What an eagerly waited pleasure to be allowed to each take a single sweat, watched over by the flinty eagle eye of Miss Butler Flemming!!
We seemed able to roam the grounds freely, but were told the bordering woods were out of bounds. Whilst I don't recall anything resembling education (probably why I failed my 11plus!!) I do remember there were plenty of outdoor exercises, walks & PE etc. & in the summer a sports day would be held when parents would be able to visit. I was from inner city Birmingham so to my young self those were the best years of my young life.
The photo shows Miss Butler Flemming in the top corner, (nurse?) Abrahams just below & myself waiting for a present from santa which turned out to be a tin hurdy gurdy, probably worth a furtune by now if I'd kept it lol.
Anyway Hope the photo jogs some memories & perhaps (doubtful) someone remembers me

Attachments

• Xmas.jpg
    Xmas.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 12
As a child, my nan Joan Rosenberg spent some time at Haseley Hall near Warwick. Can anyone please give me more info on what sort of place this was and who it catered for?

Many thanks

Craig
i was there in the late 60s i was about 10 or 12 i remmber the paddlingpool in the back and the old 1950s car at back of school even though i wasnt there long i dident get a chance to find out why i was there i knew there was a farm next door i know now one of teachers died in the zebrubber ferry disaster love to get some pics of school one day

Hi all. My dad stayed at Haseley Hall when he was a little boy in 1957. Not sure how long for but I know he has terrible memories. Glad to see others have fonder memories of it as it means it was obviously a nice place and he must’ve been well looked after. It’s just how different minds remember it I guess. His name is Patrick Coley. Don’t know if anyone here was there the same time as him.

Hi, my name is David Yale & I was at Haseley Hall from probably 1951/2 to '56/7. I was one of the asthma sufferers. I can't remember boys names but I do remember Miss Butler Flemming who was the Head of the school. She was a stern figure who most boys held in awe. My favourite (nurse?) was Miss Abraham who taught me how to tie my boot laces properly.
I enjoyed my time there & have good memories of taking kitchen scraps in buckets to feed the pigs at the local farm. We were housed in dormitories named 'Squirrel, Fox, Badger etc. The food looking back was excellent, the smell of bacon for breakfast in the morning still lingers in memory as does the sunday dinner smell, though a little overwhelmed by the boiling cabbage, lol. A favourite day was definitely sunday where we were all seated on the floor in the hall in a large expectant & excited circle around which would be passed the SWEET TIN!! What an eagerly waited pleasure to be allowed to each take a single sweat, watched over by the flinty eagle eye of Miss Butler Flemming!!
We seemed able to roam the grounds freely, but were told the bordering woods were out of bounds. Whilst I don't recall anything resembling education (probably why I failed my 11plus!!) I do remember there were plenty of outdoor exercises, walks & PE etc. & in the summer a sports day would be held when parents would be able to visit. I was from inner city Birmingham so to my young self those were the best years of my young life.
The photo shows Miss Butler Flemming in the top corner, (nurse?) Abrahams just below & myself waiting for a present from santa which turned out to be a tin hurdy gurdy, probably worth a furtune by now if I'd kept it lol.
Anyway Hope the photo jogs some memories & perhaps (doubtful) someone remembers me
what a lovely photo to cherish the presents look quite large as well

lyn

Back