• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harvo Malt Bread

The internet gives the following information:
"Harvo" was a brand of malt loaf which was made at the company's bakery at 257 Lawley Street, Birmingham until the company went bankrupt in 1973. In some areas, the name Harvo or Harvo Loaf is still often used to describe malt loaf, regardless of the brand.

I never had Harvo, but I do remember my Mum buying Hovis Bread, which is made by RHM. They also make a few other items I remember, and still use myself: Atora suet, Bisto gravy browning, Robertson's marmelade, and Sharwood's curry powder and chutney. Can't seem to get Hovis anymore, am trying to find a recipe for it.
The Two Ronnies had a spoof of the original Hovis TV advert:

My late husband worked at Harvo,s His name was Allan Williams he would bring one home most days. It was sad when it closed due to the new roads

9_1456509474_5833_300_300.jpg

:yum

For those of you that enjoy a fruit loaf, if north of the wall, try a Selkirk Bannock.

They are good.

Steve.

I never had Harvo, but I do remember my Mum buying Hovis Bread, which is made by RHM. They also make a few other items I remember, and still use myself: Atora suet, Bisto gravy browning, Robertson's marmelade, and Sharwood's curry powder and chutney. Can't seem to get Hovis anymore, am trying to find a recipe for it.
The Two Ronnies had a spoof of the original Hovis TV advert:
I found this from Birmingham Museums Trust: Hovis' managing director giving a pep talk to staff, 1935.
800px-Thinktank_Birmingham_-_Hovis.jpg

Attachments

• hovis.jpg
    hovis.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 2
Back