• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hartfield Crescent Ninestiles School

I was at Hartfield Crescent 58 till 62, My first teacher was Miss Cave. There was also Mr King who taught english. Mr Grundy I think did Maths and liked to use the cane for misbehaviour. Still have class photos from then. Loved doing the sports days as well. I also was in Baskerville whose colour was Blue. Arden was Yellow, Willoughby Red and Grenville Green.

I also attended this school from about February 1965 to Easter 1968. I recall Mr Grindy as being the art teacher. Two maths teachers Mr Collier and Mr McEwan. Both had the propensity to caning for any minor misdemeanor. In my experience (4 Birmingham schools) all maths teachers lived by the cane or slipper.
I think the fourth school house was Grevis,my house.
I aso recall Mr Grant,Mr Clements,both English teachers and Mr Allan,music. These three were quite young and were very popular as they had a really laid back attitude.
The girls PE teacher,Mrs Hill, usually referred to as Miss Mountain..
Science was Mr Cockerell and Mr Moss and technical drawing was Mr Chew.
Can't recall the metalwork teacher but woodwork was Mr Quiney.
I would appreciate it if someone could remind me of the typing and short hand teacher. She was my last teacher and I cannot recall her name.
Would like to say happy days but they were not. There is an expression that schooldays are the happiest days of your life. They maybe;but not that part of the day actually spent AT school.

NoddK-D

Last edited:
my two sisters and my brother went to hartfield crescent. one half was boys the other was girls. the girls became hartfield crescent grammar for girls the boys became hartfield crescent secondary mixed.mrs. macneill (horrible woman) was headmistress and when i went to the grammar school about1950 she eventually got the name and the uniform changed to harrison barrow girls grammar school.

I also attended this school as did all my siblings, one, the aforementioned Jasper Reeves. I remember Mr Allen, miss cave, Mr cockrell, also Mr gardener with a big bushy beard. Wish I could say they were happy times but alas, no. Harrison barrow closed down in the years I was at Hartfield - 1966 - 1970, and the school became one, Hartfield crescent secondary modern mixed.

This school became known as Nine Stiles. Did a job there in 1984 on the telephone cabling. My impression it was a dump. Kids had no manners older girls and boys openly talking about sexual encounters.

My mum went to Harrison Barrow 1952/3 +5 years 1958. I am trying to find a school photograph with her on it. I damaged her copy as a child and have wanted to obtain a copy ever since. Please has anyone any information on how I might achieve this?

Great to read stories of the past.
My Grandparents Donald Barton and Edna Baldock went here in the 30’s/40’s when it was called Hartfield Crescent School and then my Dad Noel Barton and his siblings, Donald, Joan, Sylvia, Christina and Kim went here in the 60’s/70’s when it was Hartfield School. My Great Uncle Donald Bartons name was also on the wall in the school hall

Back