• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Hart family, market traders

Alberta

Super Moderator
Staff member
New member Mcl0307 has sent me message requesting information on the Hart family who were traders in the old Bullring market, the only name known Mary Hart.

Mcl0307 perhaps you could give us some idea of dates for the family.

Last edited:
I believe may hart passed away in 1970 and possibly born around 1890 but were market traders for a long time in the bullring.

I have recently been looking at the name Hart as it features in my husband's family. I discovered that it could be a gypsy name and the earliest one I can find (late 1700's) was a horse dealer from Kent. They had moved to Birmingham from Lye in Stourbridge where they lived on Lye Waste (in Mud City) as nail makers and horse nail makers.

Elijah Hart had a daughter Mary born in 1879 and they were living in Gt Brook Street, Duddeston in 1891. Hart was obviously her maiden name. They may have moved to be near to the barracks as I know there were horses there and they continued with their nail making trade.

I've had a quick look for deaths in Birmingham for a Mary Hart and have only come up with two so far - one in 1967 (birth c 1883) and one in 1968 (birth c 1874).

I have recently been looking at the name Hart as it features in my husband's family. I discovered that it could be a gypsy name and the earliest one I can find (late 1700's) was a horse dealer from Kent. They had moved to Birmingham from Lye in Stourbridge where they lived on Lye Waste (in Mud City) as nail makers and horse nail makers.

Elijah Hart had a daughter Mary born in 1879 and they were living in Gt Brook Street, Duddeston in 1891. Hart was obviously her maiden name. They may have moved to be near to the barracks as I know there were horses there and they continued with their nail making trade.

I've had a quick look for deaths in Birmingham for a Mary Hart and have only come up with two so far - one in 1967 (birth c 1883) and one in 1968 (birth c 1874).
I know some of the Hart family having worked for Sid Hart Snr. in the Bull Ring, first as a Saturday lad and then afterwards full time whilst waiting for my O level results, which then turned into about 3 years! I went junior school with Paul Hart, who was the same age as myself and with Sid Hart jnr who was about a year older.
I recall Florrie, Sid's sister who also worked the Bull Ring and I met their mother a few times who, I believe was named May but I could be wrong, but she had long retired. I also recall another sister, also named May (Married name Broadhurst)and another lady named Winnie Hart who organised a foreign holiday for Paul, Sid, myself and a cousin of the Harts named Jamie but whether she was another sister or not I don't know only that she was Paul and Sid's auntie.
Further update that has just come to mind Winnie Hart was the wife of Harold Hart, Sid's elder brother.
I had no idea that their origins may have been from gypsy stock.

Last edited:
Taking the info above Harold and Sidney Hart were the sons of Harold Charles Hart and May Millard.

The 1939 register gives May's dob as 3 May 1894. She was possibly the daughter of Arthur and Eliza Millard.

However there doesn't appear to be an obvious death registration for her.

Last edited:
And if that's correct then Harold Charles Hart is possibly the illegitimate son of Ada Blanche Hart, even though a baptism lists him as the son of a Joseph and Ada.

Ada was the daughter of a Charles Henry Hart, who was born in Gloucestershire and is listed as a Printer and Compositor, so probably not gypsy stock.

It doesn't sound like the same family at all and it was only a long shot. On the 1891 census there are two Harts living next door to each other and I can't find a connection. One born in Lye and the other in Sutton Coldfield.

I was talking to My elder brother this morning and he mentioned that a Winnie hart who was a market trader who lived in the same road as our mother which was coventry street digbeth.

Mary Elizabeth Hart father Elijah married John David Perry father John
19th November 1898, St Nicholas , Birmingham.

I was talking to My elder brother this morning and he mentioned that a Winnie hart who was a market trader who lived in the same road as our mother which was coventry street digbeth.
Hi I have only just joined Birmingham History Forum
I am the daughter of Winnie & Harold Hart Bullring market traders, I was born in Coventry Street
My brother is John Hart, he also lived in Coventry Street, he is still around at the grand age of 86 !
The neighbours were the Kennedys also market trader, The Fox family, The Gough family, there house
was in Trent Street, there back yard opened into our back yard, Mrs Mullins was next door but one to us.
Also next door to us was I think a Mrs Walton.
Sid Hart & Florrie Hart were twins, Harold Hart. Mabel Hart, & Lilly Hart are the brothers and sisters.
I understand that Sid Hart now lives in Spain. I don't know where Paul is these days.

Hi I have only just joined Birmingham History Forum
I am the daughter of Winnie & Harold Hart Bullring market traders, I was born in Coventry Street
My brother is John Hart, he also lived in Coventry Street, he is still around at the grand age of 86 !
The neighbours were the Kennedys also market trader, The Fox family, The Gough family, there house
was in Trent Street, there back yard opened into our back yard, Mrs Mullins was next door but one to us.
Also next door to us was I think a Mrs Walton.
Sid Hart & Florrie Hart were twins, Harold Hart. Mabel Hart, & Lilly Hart are the brothers and sisters.
I understand that Sid Hart now lives in Spain. I don't know where Paul is these days.
My parents were both born in Coventry st James summers and violet bowater

Mary Elizabeth Hart father Elijah married John David Perry father John
19th November 1898, St Nicholas , Birmingham.
Sorry Alberta, I missed this post in December. Elijah is one of mine. He was my husbands great grandfather. They originally lived in Mud Town, Lye Waste.

Hi Sue,
I remember the Hart family. My uncle Frank and Aunt Hilda Gough lived, as you say in Trent St.
I think your Mom and Dad sold fruit and veg. As a kid I used to visit and play with my cousin Francis and some of the children in the back yard, possibly you where one of them.
My uncle and Aunt passed away long ago, Frank was my mom’s oldest Brother and one of 14 children.

Hello just joined this site. My great grandmother was Eliza Hart, she lived in Lye Stourbridge. My grandad (her son Joseph Brettle b 1907) said she was a gypsy but I’ve found no evidence to prove it. I did read of a Hart family being camped on Lye Waste. I’ve a family tree that shows the Harts back to 1600s in Oldswinford. If you are interested..

Back