• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry Smith Ironmonger Hockley Hill

bren

master brummie
Here is a shot i have for some time been intending to take and post. Harry Smith, established in 1824 on Hockley Hill top of Key Hill. I was about 15/16yrs old and working at Sothers, just opposite, and was often sent across the road, 1964/5, to buy tools etc and even then it was like stepping back in time and passing here a few years ago i realised it hadn't changed. As you can see they now occupy three shops up to Key Hill so today went in and walked through to the old shop, the place hasn't changed, it is still as was, still loose nails in wooden boxes that used to be sold in pounds and ounces, most now with a coat of rust, they even have a box full of horseshoe nails, how i yearned for a good old mooch in those old cupboards and cabinets. What is of concern is the fact that the demolition squad have been at work very close by, the old cafe that was on the corner the other side of Key Hill has gone and if i remember right, it had a mainly bowed glass front that gave it an elegant look, missed that one.

Old 014.jpg Old 005.jpg

​bren

I love this shop! Check out that Carborundum Sharpening tool cabinet. Would love a nose around this place. Like stepping into history. Have added 'Harry Smith' to the title of the thread as its specific to this shop. Hope that's OK Bren. Viv.

https://www.harrysmithltd.co.uk/

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    111.9 KB · Views: 22
viv you want to see inside ...i was there year before last i think... took inside photos and outside..got chatting to a member of the smith family...not sure now if i posted about it on the hockley hill thread..will need to have a look

lyn

I think you did Lyn. Looks like they've had a big sort out as it looks incredibly neat and tidy. What a great piece of history, especially as it goes back to the 1820s. Viv

its like a time warp inside viv ..as you say a great piece of history still run by the family..:) quite rare these days

mike if you want another treat have a look in whites ironmongers summer lane...absolutely amazing

sad to report that yet another piece of brum history has gone...just 3 years shy of its 200th birthday...took this pic today of the notice recently put up on the shop...:( you will find the inside shots of the shop i took a few yeara back on the hockley hill threadharry smith closure.jpgharry smith himself.JPGharry smiths shop hockley hill 3.JPGharry smiths shop hockley hill.JPG

Shame - I remember going into this shop when I was a kid! Got to go upstairs once - it was a real Aladdin's cave!

Back