• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry ROBINSON 1891-1916

hewittbj39

knowlegable brummie
Hi all could you please help me find the Army number and regiment of Harry Robinson born 1881 in birmingham. His wifes name was Lily Frances Mathewman who he married in1913, they had one daughter lillian born June 1914 when they were living in Villa St Aston.He died in WW1 in either France or Belgium. they seemed to have spent most of their lives in the All Saints area any help would be much appreciated, many thanks Baz

Hi all could you please help me find the Army number and regiment of Harry Robinson born 1881 in birmingham. His wifes name was Lily Frances Mathewman who he married in1913, they had one daughter lillian born June 1914 when they were living in Villa St Aston.He died in WW1 in either France or Belgium. they seemed to have spent most of their lives in the All Saints area any help would be much appreciated, many thanks Baz
Hi Baz

Ancestry shows Harry as serving in the 1st 5th Battalion, Royal Warwickshire Regiment, number 3592.
Lynn.

He died on 18 August 1916 and is commemorated on the Thiepval memorial in France.
I have been to Thiepval in the Somme, a huge memorial in the most tranquil setting, the memorial contains over 70,000 names.

Hi Imr3103 and Alberta. many thanks for your promt replies this information will hopefully allow me to print a memorial off the CWGC site and attach to his file. The most sad thing about this period in his life are I think the dates, married 1913, child born 1914 and dying in 1916. as far as I can find out Lily Frances Robinson never married again.
Thanks again. Baz

Unfortunately, those sort of dates were very common in WW1. I am not sure my great uncle even knew he was to be a Father as his son was born a few months after his Dad died. So sad.

Hi Imr3103 and Alberta. many thanks for your promt replies this information will hopefully allow me to print a memorial off the CWGC site and attach to his file. The most sad thing about this period in his life are I think the dates, married 1913, child born 1914 and dying in 1916. as far as I can find out Lily Frances Robinson never married again.
Thanks again. Baz
Hi Baz,

According to ancestry it seems that Lilian did marry again so hopefully she found some happiness. Like Janice said it happened such a lot. It also had a big impact on girls of marrying age as such a lot of their generation were wiped out. That's why years ago there were so many of what we called Maiden Aunts, many of whom had lost their sweethearts in the war.

Hi pgmburns and imr3103, I could not agree more with your reflections on WW1 as my own paternal grandfather died of wounds in August 1915 in France leaving behind 5 sons and 1 daughter all under the age of 13yrs, this has happy outcome as Nan remarried in 1920 and then had 4 more girls I knew all 10 in my childhood and they all had useful and industrious lives.
Imr3103 I wonder if you would be so kind as to send me Lily F Robinsons new surname and year of remarriage as I am no longer a member of Ancestry.
Many thanks regards Baz

Glad it was a happy ending for your Nan Baz ! No problem with the Ancestry records-
Lilian Frances Robinson married 13th April 1918 Samuel Robinson (Relative?) at St Saviours, Hockley.
1939 shows them living with daughter Lilian at 109 Fieldhouse Rd. Samuel was born in 1875, could he have been Harry's
Uncle I wonder?
Lynn.

Harry Robinson is listed as 22 on his marriage to Lily, so born about 1891.

Harry's father is Harry/Henry who marries Annie Hunt 1890. His father is listed as John.

Harry senior, son of John & Amelia, does appear to have a brother called Samuel, of the correct age.

Hi Lynn and MWS. Thankyou for the info of course it was spot on and Samuel was Harry1891 uncle, I looked at this pairing several times and to me it did not seem to be right because of the matching surnames and age difference but it came good in the end thanks to you members.
regards Baz.

Back