• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

Hiya Acka,

Yes mate I think you're right & wasn't the original Science teacher before Mick Dunne a guy called Corfield? (one for peg monkey).

Lozellian (Mac)

"Tight Lines mate for 2017"
Corfield was name of one of the houses. Corfield, Garner, Masterton and Warner unless I am mistaken.

Carolina, talking of houses - sorry(?!) to raise the subject of you losing your prefect status - did it also involve house debit points?
I think I can remember the builder in question - was he a tall good looking guy, swept back dark hair, bit like Elvis? (He was part of the team building the new toilet blocks, c1962 if I remember correctly).
Your post #46 shows a pic of Mrs Garner, wife of the director whose name is one of the houses.
You being the only active ex-HLS girl on the thread are you not tempted to adopt the role of standard bearer for the female population of the school? Especially as you are avatarless - my post #76 shows a school blazer badge for a girl - I'm sure if you ask Lyn nicely she can slide across the image to your avatar.

Peg.

Last edited:
hi peg if carolina wanted to alter her avatar she would have to do it herself only she can do that as only she has control over her private settings..

lyn

Last edited:
Hi Acka,

Wasn't Dave Inston the guy who was pretty good at drawing/sketching cartoon characters & bringing them to life on a home made clipper /clapper board type of device? If I remember right he used to go to the "rag alley" in Brum on a Saturday with a guy called Derek Such as they were both avid marvel comic collectors (hope they kept them, some are worth a few quid).

Mac.

Mac - Dave is living down south on the coast now. He was a great lad with a weird dress sense and a bit of a science geek.

I didn't know that about Dave and Suchy though. Lyn and I met up with him a few years ago while he was in Brum. He visits the site occasionally - try sending him a IM Mac?

Acka

and if by magic a couple of photos of our meet up a few years back..pic 1 aka on right dave inston left..pic 2 all three of us having a meal in the church tavern gt hampton stPicture 001_renamed_23226.jpg Picture 019_renamed_17305.jpg

lyn

think i shall take that as a compliment mabz:D nice little meet up though..amazing how this forum puts people together:) more recently i met an old school chum after 47 years...

Hi Folks, my thoughts drifted back to our schooldays and I recalled just how little greenery there was in the playground (not at all unusual, my infant/junior school, Farm Street, had even less) I don't think there was anything at all on the front, apart from the odd weed, but the rear was slightly better - a solitary deciduous tree at the top of the playground, near the entrance from Bridge St West, and, of course, the Deputy Head's Garden (so called because it was just outside her office window) the small quad between the original Boys and Girls entrances (not sure why the Victorians deemed it necessary to have separate entrances - probably something to do with disrobing, couldn't have been the WCs - they were outside).
I remember, whilst in the 3rd year, me and my close associates somehow found ourselves members of the Tree Lover's Club, to be truthful I think it was mainly the colourful membership badge that appealed most, - it was all about collecting badges in those days, anyway it was a brief association, but I do recall getting together a collection of pressed tree leaves.

Peg.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's over a year now since I last banged on about my poor CSE Grade 4 Woodwork result, (https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/index.php?threads/harry-lucas-school.39524/page-18#post-588947) I've had therapy and I'm pleased to announce I'm cured - well almost.
It's now 53 years, or thereabouts since the summer when me and my compatriats gave our best shots at the CSE's, and my Grade 4 has returned to haunt me - did my Grade 1 exam paper get mixed up with someome elses's Grade 4? That's the only rational explanation, how else can it be explained? - I was awarded 2 Woodwork Prizes and consistantly did well at the craft during my 5 years at HL.
I fear the mystery is destined to remain one of the Universe's unanswerd questions for all time.
I know what you are thinking - It's no good beefing about it now why didn't you complain at the time?
In my defense
, by the time we had got our results July/August the school had closed for the summer and we had all been cast to the 4 winds never to return.
Peg.

Hope I've done this right.

Speech day circa 1965 at a guess. Mr Walker standing with I believe, Lady Waring. Not sure about the others but I think the gentleman seated on the right could be the Birmingham Chief Education Officer of the time.

View attachment 45063

hi enel

would it be possible for you to re post that photo again please as we seem to have lost it from the forum

many thanks

lyn

Hi Enel,

Nice to see someone has mentioned my Dad Gordon Figures, You dont say what sort of a Teacher he was, Others Ive met who were taught by him in his career said he was fair and maintained respect. Unfortunately he past away in 1984 a few years after Johnie Walker. Still intouch with Joy Robinson ( not sure if that was her name when at Harry Lucas) think she taught English. She does have a Teaching group photo awaiting a copy from her. Will post to the site when I have it.
I remember your Dad very well, he was a good teacher, he taught us Maths, I think i am correct in saying he was a rear gunner in the 2nd world war.

I am not able to view any of the photographs on this thread, do i have a problem ? or have they been lost ?
Thanks in advance.

I remember your Dad very well, he was a good teacher, he taught us Maths, I think i am correct in saying he was a rear gunner in the 2nd world war.

Hi G Figures,

In my time at HLSS (1963 - 1968), I seem to remember your Dad teaching rather appropriately Maths, he was a firm but, fair man & a good teacher. I recall him having a problem with the car he owned at the time, which I believe was either an Austin Cambridge / Morris Oxford; and I volunteered my Dad (motor mechanic by trade) to fix it, which he did. If memory serves he lived on the Bristol Road at that time I think.

Lozellian

Back