• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Harry lucas school

Hi Folks, do you remember your school trips to the old Science Museum in Newhall Street? I thought it was great; they had an electronic chequers game, it beat me everytime but my friend, much brighter than I was, had figured out it's strategy and he beat it everytime! (I wouldn't be surprised if he'd won a fortune on slots or some other form of electronic gambling). I continued to visit the museum with my family, it was great, and free, until it closed; was it replaced by The Think Tank? On Sundays I parked near Gas Street Basin and we walked along the canal tow path to the museum. Part of my working life was spent as a professional photographer and I used my local knowledge to deliver the shot, attached is one of them showing the Farmers Bridge flight of locks on the canal that leads to the old Museum, another shot I was proud of was the Council House, also attached.
Regards,
Peg.
Canal and Bham Council Hse.jpg

Hi Trevor, I was born in Heaton Street in 1949 and lived there until 1959, but the family had lived in the house a number of generations before that; it was a close-knit community and there is every chance I knew your relatives but I don't remember the names. I also lived in Kings Norton for a short period at the Cotteridge end of Middleton Hall Road (circa 1981). Hockley Pentecostal Church was located in Lodge Road on what was known locally as The Flat, I did not attend but I do have a family connection with a retired minister and I knew the caretaker there, it's quite an active church with an enthusiastic congregation, they had their own impressive bus fleet for church outings. There was a small hall at the other end of Heaton Street (The bus depot end) on the same side and just a few doors away from Icknield Street School, its main use was as a youth club, they had snooker tables.
Having gone to Farm Street School 1954-60 I knew St Saviour's Church well (annual Christmas carol services and other celebrations).
Did you attend Farm Street and Harry Lucas Schools?
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Peg,

That's a coincidence, you living in Kings Norton where my aunt and uncle and their family moved to. My cousin Brenda, sadly, passed away about 6 or 7 years ago but Sylvia is still alive. I only see her once in a blue moon, but I'll try and write to her for any memories she has of the church, and of her time in Heaton Street. I think I also have a very small photo of where they lived, but it shows very little.
There's been quite a bit of confusion about the Harry Lucas and Farm Street schools. If you search for "Harry Lucas School", the definitive explanation is on page 1 and it's post 15 by "Rob 1 abb". HL was originally know as Burbury Street Junior & Infants before changing its name to HL in 1954. That was the year my family left and moved to a brand new estate called Ley Hill in Northfield.
The new houses and flats were those 'brutalist' concrete constructions so beloved by the architects and planners who pulled down all of our great Victorian buildings in the city centre. The estate itself lasted less than 50 years before it too was demolished.
My elder sister went to Burbury Steet (HL), starting in 1945 before moving on at 11 to Lozells Girls School. I started in 1951 and my younger brother in 1953.
As many have suggested on the site, perhaps Farm Street School should have been called after the street that ran along its longest part i.e. Villa Street. Then Burbury Street school could have been called Bridge Street West School or Farm Street School, because that's where the main back and front entrances were. Even though they were very close, Burbury Street and its park didn't ajoin the school at all.
We were all Christened at St Saviour's and we used to go to Sunday school in the afternoon there. I think quite a few attended because it meant parents could have a bit of piece and quiet for a few hours.............if you get my meaning ! It was also the chance for us kids to play with plenty of the toys that were provided. In those austere days not too long after the war, we didn't have many of our own as I recall.

Kind regards,

Trevor.

hi trevor...if you use the search box top right of the page there should be a couple of photos of st saviours that i have posted...our mom was christened there and my gt gran lived just a few doors down from the church at no 32 villa st..she would have been there at the same time you were at bsw

lyn

Hi Folks does anyone remember when the BBC came to town? I've not even thought about the events of the day since then but for some reason I can remember them clearly, 53 years on.
It all started when Miss Gossmore announced, during an English lesson, sometime in 1963 that the BBC TV were coming to the school to look for an individual to fill an acting role, the criteria: male, aged about 14, broad Brummie accent, Well! As far as the latter went it could have been any lad in the school, anyway the actor was required to appear in a comedy drama about a boys choir who had been sacked because they couldn't sing, the main scene where the actor was due to appear was outside a church, he was picketing, his lines were, as two would be worshippers approached:
"It aint no good you goin' in there, there aint no choir."
To which the couple replied:
"Thank goodness for that!" And carried on into the church.
I don't know if all the third year auditioned or just my Form, G1, but a lad in my class got the part and sure enough he appeared on TV some months later, his name? John Bright.
Did he go on to become another Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter)? No. Well, I don't think he did - if you are out there in La La Land John, give us an update!
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited by a moderator:
hi trevor...if you use the search box top right of the page there should be a couple of photos of st saviours that i have posted...our mom was christened there and my gt gran lived just a few doors down from the church at no 32 villa st..she would have been there at the same time you were at bsw

lyn
Hi Lyn,
Many thanks but I saw these two photos before the site was hacked. You might not remember, but I sent you you a question as to why I couldn't see them when I went back some time afterwards, and you explained what had happened.

I answered one of "Peg's" posts about Heaton Street and I had a little chat about St Saviours, BSW, Burbury St/H. Lucas, and Farm St schools. As I mentioned to him, my older sister, myself and my younger brother were all Christened at St Saviours as well as going to Sunday school there in the afternoon. We all attended Burbury St school and then moved away to Northfield in 1954.

By the way, there was a small shop just to the left of the church as you looked at it, run by Mr and Mrs Bailey. She had a scar on her arm which, according to rumour, was caused when a thunder bolt of lightening came down their chimney, raced around the room and burnt her badly. Has there been any mention of them on the site do you know Lyn ?

I've also got to answer a couple of queries about photos of Burbury St. I've got some photos of my late sister's that I thought had one of her class at B.St. Unfortunately, it was one of her class at Ilmington Girls Secondary School when she about 14/15.
Kind regards, Trevor.

Hi Lyn,
Many thanks but I saw these two photos before the site was hacked. You might not remember, but I sent you you a question as to why I couldn't see them when I went back some time afterwards, and you explained what had happened.

I answered one of "Peg's" posts about Heaton Street and I had a little chat about St Saviours, BSW, Burbury St/H. Lucas, and Farm St schools. As I mentioned to him, my older sister, myself and my younger brother were all Christened at St Saviours as well as going to Sunday school there in the afternoon. We all attended Burbury St school and then moved away to Northfield in 1954.

By the way, there was a small shop just to the left of the church as you looked at it, run by Mr and Mrs Bailey. She had a scar on her arm which, according to rumour, was caused when a thunder bolt of lightening came down their chimney, raced around the room and burnt her badly. Has there been any mention of them on the site do you know Lyn ?

I've also got to answer a couple of queries about photos of Burbury St. I've got some photos of my late sister's that I thought had one of her class at B.St. Unfortunately, it was one of her class at Ilmington Girls Secondary School when she about 14/15.
Kind regards, Trevor.
Hi Trevor, I remember Bailey's very well, I purchased my lunchtime apple there, my first bag of potato puffs and, I think, my first bag of cheese and onion crisps; for years before that you could only get plain with the little bag of salt, they were milestones! First I've heard of the lightening bolt, I was at Farm St School 1954-60, Headmaster: Mr Smith (I only got the cane once - for throwing stones, don't know where I got them from, there was precious little in the playground other than tar-mac).
Regards,
Peg.

I can remember there was a Mrs Brunner who taught badminton. We also went to Pete Watson's house to continue to practice our square dancing which we then went to BBC on Broad Street to record it. (Yes on the radio - the mind boggles).
Hi Carolina, some of my classmates joined the school dancing club but I though it was folk dancing, the membership badge was in the form of intertwining dance swords, is that the same club you were in?
It's one of my big regrets I didn't join, my problem was my journey home involved 2 buses and could take up to an hour, thus it was very difficult for me to stay for after school activities and to return for evening ones (The painful truth is I should have gone to school nearer my home).
Regards,
Peg.

just had my memory jogged by an fellow pupil re the uniform...its all come back to me now...bottle green jumper..white blouse and grey skirt..tie green and gold and the reason i cant remember wearing one is because i didnt:D the wearing of a uniform only came out a year or so before i left and it was optional..ie if your parents could not afford one...i now recall our mom saying it was not worth getting even they could afford to....on top of that and i shall always be grateful to them for this...they let me stay on an extra year to take those exams when really i could have been at work bringing in some much needed extra money..(eldest of 6)

lyn
Hi Lyn, does an image of the Lozells Girls School blazer badge exist anywhere on the net for posterity?
Although I think of Farm Street as my first school, it wasn't, and it wasn't my second, it was my third! My mother worked full time as a press-worker producing expanding watch bracelet parts in a factory in either Key Hill or Hockley Hill (actually thinking about it, the factory could have had entrances in both) anyway she was the youngest of 11 children so my grandparents were relative old so there was no-one to take me to school and bring me back, the solution? I had to go to school where a relative or friend could stand in which meant School 1 - Ellen Street and School 2 - St Mary's, Handsworth, I had three new schools starts in as many months and it was a cliff-edge start, I was an only child (nursery only for the rich and famous - my mother was helping to pay the rent, although it was only 12/6 a week) Don't know if it had a long term effect, but what is certain I still don't willingly embrace change.
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Lyn,

Kind regards, Trevor.
Hi Trevor, just remembered I had relatives in Northfield, I was only about 5/6 at the time so my memory is very hazy. I think they lived somewhere behind The Bell, we didn't go very often (mom and dad had no car and it was quite a journey by buses from Hockley) I know once I had the time of my life with my cousin, you might guess a go-cart played a part in it, they lived on a long, long hill, my cousin didn't actually have a go-cart it was just a set of pram wheels on a frame with a board thrown on, we steered and braked with out feet, my shoes were destroyed by the end of the day.
Regards,
Peg.
PS Weren't you close to the Lickey Hills there?

Hi Lyn, does an image of the Lozells Girls School blazer badge exist anywhere on the net for posterity?
Although I think of Farm Street as my first school, it wasn't, and it wasn't my second, it was my third! My mother worked full time as a press-worker producing expanding watch bracelet parts in a factory in either Key Hill or Hockley Hill (actually thinking about it, the factory could have had entrances in both) anyway she was the youngest of 11 children so my grandparents were relative old so there was no-one to take me to school and bring me back, the solution? I had to go to school where a relative or friend could stand in which meant School 1 - Ellen Street and School 2 - St Mary's, Handsworth, I had three new schools starts in as many months and it was a cliff-edge start, I was an only child (nursery only for the rich and famous - my mother was helping to pay the rent, although it was only 12/6 a week) Don't know if it had a long term effect, but what is certain I still don't willingly embrace change.
Regards,
Peg.

hi peg so that we can keep this thread on the topic of harry lucas school you could ask the question about the lozells girls school badge on the LGS thread where you may get better response see link below...likewise we also have a thread for farm st school if anyone would like to add to that one

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...lozells-girls-school.11114/page-8#post-582787

Hi Trevor, I remember Bailey's very well, I purchased my lunchtime apple there, my first bag of potato puffs and, I think, my first bag of cheese and onion crisps; for years before that you could only get plain with the little bag of salt, they were milestones! First I've heard of the lightening bolt, I was at Farm St School 1954-60, Headmaster: Mr Smith (I only got the cane once - for throwing stones, don't know where I got them from, there was precious little in the playground other than tar-mac).
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Peg,
It's strange how some names and places stay with you all your life. I was only coming up to 8 years old when I left BSW yet I still remember the Bailey's shop around the corner. Going further down Villa St, there was a house held up by a huge wooden support that anchored across the pavement. I always walked around it rather than under it because I thought it was unlucky, the same as walking under a ladder.

The family were registered with the doctor on the crossroads of Villa St and Farm St, and the surgery was opposite the White Swan pub on the opposite corner. The doctor was Dr Reichenfeld who I believe was an Austrian Jewish man who had fled the Nazis just in time with his family. I think Dr Targett also practised there as well, although I can't be certain.

My late mother said she took me to see Dr R when I was about 2 to 3 years old years old, because I was constantly waking up with what she took to be nightmares ! ? He examined me she said, and then told her in his very thick accent that she should stop me reading horror comics ! ( At 2/3 years old ? ) Apart from that little episode, he was a very good doctor apparently, who was well liked and respected.
Regards, Trevor.

hi peg so that we can keep this thread on the topic of harry lucas school you could ask the question about the lozells girls school badge on the LGS thread where you may get better response see link below...likewise we also have a thread for farm st school if anyone would like to add to that one

lyn

https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/for...lozells-girls-school.11114/page-8#post-582787
Hi Lyn, thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow, back to the thread - Anyone else join the HLSS Fencing (not the garden, the rapier variety) Club? It was the only school club I joined, it was run by the Joseph Lucas Fencing Club who kindly donated their time, equipment and expertise at no cost (If I remember correctly). I didn't get very proficient but it gave me the opportunity to experience the sport for which I am grateful, you never know what you've got a talent for unless you try it!
Regards,
Peg.

Memoirs of an HLSS Anorak
Hi Folks, it's confession time - My Name's Peg and I'm a Train Spotter, or at least I was until just before my 15th birthday. During my period of being active you would find me regularly doing my homework on Snow Hill Station's platform 7. This wasn't a special journey for me it was a way of breaking up my journey home from school, which involved two buses, first one from the top of Hockley Hill into the city, getting off at the top of Snow Hill. If I was in funds I'd call into the Wimpy Bar and treat my self to a burger and coffee before continuing on to the Station where I would set-up camp on a bench on platform 7 (not far from the metal labeling machine and the BSA gun display cabinet.) The days of steam were rapidly coming to an end (1961) but if you were fortunate you could still catch a glimpse of a Castle, Hall or Manor class steam loco. I'd stay at the station until 7.00 pm to see what was hauling the 7.00 pm London to Glasgow Pullman before setting off for my second bus to home. In the latter days the loco at the head of the Pullman Train was most likely to be a British Rail Class 52 Diesel (The Western Class), such as Western Monarch, Western Huntsman and the like, which had now become the Western Region's Flagship loco fleet hauling the prestigious trains of the day.
If I was fortunate I would not have spotted the loco before, but if I had the visit had largely been a waste of time. Ah well, that's life!
Regards,
Peg.

The aptly named Mr Figures, maths teacher during my tenure at HLSS, was not the sort you could forget. A commanding figure he would regale the class with his military exploits, needing only the slightest encouragement, not the best thing for me personally as I needed every second of maths tuition going. I seem to recall he didn't have a very high opinion of the subject of English, clearly, reading the poems of Wordsworth not high on his list of Must Do's!
I wondered lonely as a cloud........
Regards,
Peg.

Memoirs of an HLSS Swimmer - Drama at Grove Lane
I'm probably trusting my memory more than is safe, but here goes. I was in the second year (academic year commencing Sept. 1961) and the trip to Grove Lane Swimming Baths (adjacent to Handsworth Park) started routinely enough, much as a number of others had - we made our way in orderly fashion with Mr Jones (Art Teacher) at the head of the column, from the school to the bus stop, opposite the Palladium, Hockley Brook. We alighted at the rear gate to Handsworth Park and continued the short distance to the baths. Can't remember how long we were splashing about in the water before the drama began to unfold, anyway a shout went up and I turned around just in time to see Mr Jones throwing himself, fully clothed, into the water. I don't know if there were lifeguards around or whether Mr Jones was just quicker on his toes, anyway a lad had got into trouble - don't know if he just got out of his depth or if he had jumped in not realising the depth of the water, either way he couldn't swim and was clearly in trouble. Mr Jones rescued him and the lad was dragged out none the worse for the experience, I guess Mr Jones was wearing his watch, he would have had his wallet in a pocket and perhaps other personal effect - they all got soaked, he had to borrow clothes from the swimming baths staff, including a dirty old mac, to get back to the school.
As ever on our return to Hockley we all left the bus and descended on the cake shop corner of Nursery Road and Farm Street where we all purchased a crusty bun or 2, we ate them as we walked back to school, scooping out the soft inside first before eating the crusty outer (I think the cake shop was Baines).
Regards,
Peg.

Did anyone pass the Cycling Proficiency Test? After my 3-wheeler I wasn't allowed a road-going bike (hardly surprising when you consider my lunatic activity on go-carts) so I never went in for it, but I recall another Road Safety Certificate that I did; I tried a number of times without success, I just couldn't understand what I was getting wrong, each time I felt sure I'd answered the questions correctly only to find out I wasn't going to get a certificate when all about me were.
Regards,
Peg.

hi peg i think the cake shop has been discussed before but not sure which thread it was on..could be the farm st thread..not sure if we ever found a photo of that shop but just a slight correction peg...farm st and nursery road never met....think you will find (and im only going from memory of what a member posted some years back) that the cake shop was on the corner with farm st and hunters road..

lyn

hi peg i think the cake shop has been discussed before but not sure which thread it was on..could be the farm st thread..not sure if we ever found a photo of that shop but just a slight correction peg...farm st and nursery road never met....think you will find (and im only going from memory of what a member posted some years back) that the cake shop was on the corner with farm st and hunters road..

lyn
Hi Lyn, that part of my memory was a bit blurred and I did try and get the road names correct, I knew one was Farm Street, the other not so sure; the current A-Z doesn't help because the area has changed beyond recognition so I used the map you posted on Page 5, it looked like even Naden Road could have been a contender the way it right angles with Hunters Road, but I was sure it wasn't, because I can't even remember a road of that name, anyway it became a choice between Hunters and Nursery Road and the way Nursery Road sweeps round made it the favourite, thanks for your corrective force, talking of corrective forces I'm reminded I had my collar felt by the local P.C. only a few yards from the cake shop (dates a bit hazy again, may have been my first year at HLSS - 1960), I think it was a bum rap (but I would say that, wouldn't I) anyway I'll lay the facts before you so the world at large can decide; the alleged offence took place as I was about to cross Hockley Brook, heading for Ford Street, a short way down from Palladium, I'd half demolished a bag of chips and was making good progress with the remainder when I checked the road and, deciding it was safe to cross, strode out for the other side; the local bobby appeared along side of me and when we got to the other side he gave me a flea in my ear for dividing my attention between my bag of chips and safely crossing the road. I really don't know if I offered a defense that I had only crossed when I was sure it was safe to do so, anyway I didn't press the matter just in case I was the subject of a Wanted - Demented Go-cart Driver.... poster in the local nick (which I think was Kenyon Street).
regards,
Peg.

Hi Mayfield, which fishing club were you/are in? I never caught the bug from my father who was very keen and a member of The Bull Fishing Club, Key Hill, most Sundays during the season he spent on a fishing trip, most times I tagged along to places like Ross, Tewkesbury, in fact anywhere where the fishing was good and you could get there and back in the day - sometimes a bit uncertain as the club must have been operating on a shoe string hiring coaches that should long have retired (we called them bone-shakers) I remember one occasion the gear-box fell apart on our way home, was 1.oo am before we got back, my mother was frantic, it was before the age of 'phones and there was no way we could get in touch with her to let her know what had happened, don't know if I was allowed to miss school on the Monday, probably not!
He fished the Severn, Wye, Avon and probably others I can't remember (Holt Fleet (?) seemed to be a favourite destination for the family as a whole). My favourite part of fishing, when I did eventually get my hands on a rod, was casting, I got great delight seeing how far I could get the weights and hook - ok on a river like the Severn, so on those occasions we arrived a canal to fish my heart sank.
Regards,
Peg.
Sorry about the delay Peg - just returned from a long winter holiday in Cyprus.

I don't belong to any club I tend to fish for specimen carp by myself or with friends.

I have sent you an message buddy.

Cheers Mabz

Hi Folks, do you remember any of your theatre trips? One that sticks in my mind is My Fair Lady. In Miss Gossmore's English class The Book of the Month was Pygmalion and My Fair lady was on at the Alex (Or was it the Hip?) starring Tony Britton as Prof Higgins (can't remember who played Eliza). I estimated I was in the third year, Form G1, and the date was 1963; I thought I would have no trouble confirming this using Tony Britton's career as reference - no such look, for some reason this particular appearance isn't listed, if I wasn't certain I'd conclude I'd made a mistake. Another memorable trip was to The New Coventry Cathedral, not long after it was constructed, very impressive.
Regards,
Peg.

I saw Vivien Leigh and Lawrence Olivier in Macbeth at the Stratford Theatre in 1952. Memory is a bit hazy but I was most impressed and enjoyed it considering I was a young apprentice at the time. I was on a staff course at nearby rather posh Goldicote House, don't know whether it is still there. I do remember drinking rather too much of a beer called 'Double Diamond' after getting back from the theatre - probably why my memory is hazy. I've never seen a play in a theatre since, only once to see Frankie Laine at the B'ham Theatre Royal - a long time ago, and he was fantastic.
oldmohawk
I remembered this one ... :)

Last edited:
I remembered this one ... :)
Hi, I also stayed at Goldicote when a Birfield Group (later GKN) Apprentice circa 1966/67, the idea was to give a taste of the good life to those that might not have come into contact with it before (dressing for dinner, fillet steak, and so on) spent the time doing what was termed non-vocational activity (i.e. nothing to do with engineering) e.g. building garden walls, crazy paving paths etc. I should have checked the web to see if it's still there before this posting, the building will be, but I seem to recall GKN sold it off.
Regards,
Peg.

I guess we might be the only two forum members who have stayed at Goldicote House. If you worked for Birfield/GKN you might be interested in the following threads, apologies if you have already seen them. The first two thread titles are slightly inaccurate but not to worry ... :)

Hardey Spicers Chester Road
Hardy and spicers ltd
Drop Stamp - Birch Rd - Witton
My previous post about Goldicote.
If you were with GKN in the late 1960s early 1970s you might know persons in a forum photo here

ps:- I suppose we are drifting off topic and maybe any further discussion about GKN etc needs to be in one of the other threads.
(click on the links with the mouse wheel or right click to show them in separate tabs)

Last edited:
I guess we might be the only two forum members who have stayed at Goldicote House. If you worked for Birfield/GKN you might be interested in the following threads, apologies if you have already seen them. The first two thread titles are slightly inaccurate but not to worry ... :)

Hardey Spicers Chester Road
Hardy and spicers ltd
Drop Stamp - Birch Rd - Witton
My previous post about Goldicote.
If you were with GKN in the late 1960s early 1970s you might know persons in a forum photo here

ps:- I suppose we are drifting off topic and maybe any further discussion about GKN etc needs to be in one of the other threads.
(click on the links with the mouse wheel or right click to show them in separate tabs)
Thanks, some useful leads there (I worked at Salisbury Transmission, Witton).
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks, I've just remembered another two memorable school trips (both I think in my second year -1961) - first Webb Corbett, Crystal Glassware, Stourbridge (My friend found a discarded but intact reject sherry glass in a waste bin which he took home as a momento, I was dead envious) and a stained glass window manufacturer in the city centre (can't remember name or exactly where, but I think the factory was somewhere near the old science museum) their work was superb, I suppose they've long gone.
Regards,
Peg.
PS I'm having internet connection problems, hope it's not going to keep me off-line.

Hi Folks, you are going to find this tale, sorry, account difficult to believe, but it's all true; I was in the 5th year (1965) and attending my usual Friday metalwork class at Gem Street School (site now engulfed by the Aston University Campus) when I approached the teacher (can't remember his name) and asked if I could make a dagger. I expected his reply to be "Are you out of your !bleep! mind?!" but it wasn't; he wasn't just positive, my proposal seemed to capture his imagination. He asked to see the design - I wont bother you with the technicalities - stainless steel blade, sandwiched with brass sheet either side at the handle all riveted together with a hilt brazed in position.
The final result was fantastic, resembling a large dirk it was a super letter-opener and good enough to be part of my portfolio of items that I was preparing to show prospective employers; but I decided against it as I thought it might give the wrong impression.
Was the metalwork teacher very enlightened or foolish? I'll let you decide; one thing is for sure, now a days he might well face the sack for sponsoring such a project.
Regards,
Peg.

As a retired college lecturer Peg, I can honestly say that the modern Ofsted inspector might have questioned the teachers decision............. Me personally; I think the teachers decision was spot-on as it inspired the making of a quality piece of metalwork. Well done buddy - a future family heirloom. Mabz

As a retired college lecturer Peg, I can honestly say that the modern Ofsted inspector might have questioned the teachers decision............. Me personally; I think the teachers decision was spot-on as it inspired the making of a quality piece of metalwork. Well done buddy - a future family heirloom. Mabz
Hi, astute observation Mabz, thanks.
Peg.

Back