• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

Hi Lyn
1. Correct, the factory was known locally as Lucas - Gt King Street
2. Prize award pages herewith.
3. I lived in Heaton Street, then just a side road but now a Major Road linking Hockley Circus with Key Hill Circus.
Hi Maybz
Interesting, I'm pretty sure I got that part of the plan right, does anyone else have a view?
School fact
The four school houses were named after Joseph Lucas Directors namely Corley, Garner, Masterton and Waring and the wives of these directors were invited to present the prizes on speech days.
Regards,
Peg
HLSS prize 1961.jpg HLSS prize 1962.jpg HLSS prize 1963.jpg HLSS prize 1964 PTA.jpg HLSS prize 1964 TD.jpg HLSS prize 1965 S.jpg HLSS prize 1965 W.jpg

Its great seeing your awards Peg. Was Mr Wallet your TD teacher? He was great.
The other teachers that I remember include science Mr Corfield, Art Mr Jones, English Miss Gossmore, Maths Mr Williams, RE Mr Harris, History Mr Watson (inspirational teacher), French Mr Blenkinsopp and so on. I was in Garner house (red). Mabz

Hi peg , im john stone who was also at harry lucas from 60 to 65 and I was in garner , the other 3 were waring , masterton and corly . Do you remember Mr Williams the Geography teacher . Mr Watson the history teacher . Mr Jones the art teacher . Mr figures the maths teacher (who we called the Chameleon due to his bulging eyes . The cock of the school was francis lambert , we went on to be lifelong mates up to his death in October 2015 , there was also in my class irving gazzee , (we called him chinky because he look slightly Chinese) , there was a black girl in our class called ideta francis whos brother also was there , but I didn't realise that until I met him at a reunion some years ago . I think Mr blenkinsop was the French teacher or it was what was to become his wife who was the French teacher (just cant remember her name) . We has a female Parisian French teacher there named Madam De-mon-telk , not sure about the spelling though . She wore powerful bottle lense glasses , and she would point at me but look at someone in front or behind me when I spoke to her , that was due to her specks . She only lasted one term because she couldn't control us and we drove her up the wall was with our misbehaviour . Fab , just simply fab was the photo you posted . I dearly want a photo of great king street . The shot that I want is looking down great king street from new john street west , with it looking to the left side , showing the houses just below the bell pub . There is a grainy Airial photo of it , but want something with greater detail . Many thanks for you and all reading this post which I wrote on jan 12th 2017

Sorry to hear about Frankie Lambert, I saw him a few years back at a Harry Lucas reunion.
Hi peg , im john stone who was also at harry lucas from 60 to 65 and I was in garner , the other 3 were waring , masterton and corly . Do you remember Mr Williams the Geography teacher . Mr Watson the history teacher . Mr Jones the art teacher . Mr figures the maths teacher (who we called the Chameleon due to his bulging eyes . The cock of the school was francis lambert , we went on to be lifelong mates up to his death in October 2015 , there was also in my class irving gazzee , (we called him chinky because he look slightly Chinese) , there was a black girl in our class called ideta francis whos brother also was there , but I didn't realise that until I met him at a reunion some years ago . I think Mr blenkinsop was the French teacher or it was what was to become his wife who was the French teacher (just cant remember her name) . We has a female Parisian French teacher there named Madam De-mon-telk , not sure about the spelling though . She wore powerful bottle lense glasses , and she would point at me but look at someone in front or behind me when I spoke to her , that was due to her specks . She only lasted one term because she couldn't control us and we drove her up the wall was with our misbehaviour . Fab , just simply fab was the photo you posted . I dearly want a photo of great king street . The shot that I want is looking down great king street from new john street west , with it looking to the left side , showing the houses just below the bell pub . There is a grainy Airial photo of it , but want something with greater detail . Many thanks for you and all reading this post which I wrote on jan 12th 2017

I have just dug out my school leaving report from Harry Lucas, not as bad as it could have been. Lolschool1.jpg

thats great ivor...yet another little piece of harry lucas history:)....keep it going folks...

You can call me by my real name Astoness, its on the certificate.

Last edited:
Lovely to see a pic of the school . I didnt go there but used to go to Play Centre a couple of nights a week .
Not sure if this pic has been on before of the football team which shows Frankie Lambert at the back left next to teacher.1495475_10152565354387119_1575819838_n-001.jpg Trevor Goody ( my bro in law holding the ball).

New John Street West.JPG The corner shop was the butchers and on the opposite corner was the bell pub unfortunately just out of shot

Attachments

• New john street hockley.JPG
    New john street hockley.JPG
    25.5 KB · Views: 16
schoolswimming.jpg Another certificate I have found in my treasured memories LOL

Last edited:
Hi folks,
I've unearthed another HLSS artefact, I made the spoon during my first year in the metalwork class; there were no metal bashing facilities at our school, I (together with fellow male class mates) made my way each Friday morning to Gem Street School, Gosta Green (near Aston Uni), which had extensive facilities. The spoon got a make-over with a Brillo and now I think it looks pretty good for a 53 year-old.
Mabz & johnpress
Those teacher's names brought memories flooding back (I don't recall a French French Teacher, must have been after my time). I can add a few more teachers: Mr Thomas (my G3 form teacher), Mr Flemming - woodwork and, my most vivid memory of all, the delectable 25-year old Miss Chivvers, whose classes I regularly gate-crashed during my 5th form free periods, (Can't remember her subject - it wouldn't have made any difference).
(If my wife gets to read this I'm dead).
Regards,
Peg.

Attachments

• Spoon.jpg
    Spoon.jpg
    160.7 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
Yes I played Badminton, there is even a mention of me being in my House Badminton team in my school leaving certificate #56 BHF. I loved Badminton, it was the only sport I was any good at, we used to play most of the dinner time in the school hall
, I carried on playing into my early 30s .
Did anyone play badminton. The sport's hall was just by Miss Cadman's office.

Hi Carolina,
Thanks for the pic of Heaton Street. I lived in one of the upmarket houses that fronted the road (like the ones in shot), we had our own outside W.C., unlike the 6 back-to-backs behind us who shared one outside W.C. Ah, the good old days.
Regards,
Peg.

Hi Folks,
Just to let you know, in hind-sight, the title on the school pic I uploaded didn't truly reflect the building's history so I've put matters right (I've edited my original upload).
P.S.
The jury is still out on the accuracy of my school plan; as I recall at the top of the stairs immediately to the right was the staff room and beyond that the science lab; left at the top of the stairs led to Domestic Science and that's what the plan is based on. Mabz's recollection is, it should be the other way around; anymore recollections?
Regards,
Peg.

Last edited:
Back