• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Harry lucas school

Do I hold the school record for travelling the longest distance from home to the school? I travelled from the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington (near the Sutton border) to school each day via the 64 bus to Aston Cross and then the Inner Circle 8, why? It's a long story, I'll have to get back to you on that, I'm just on my way to get up close and personal with a bad boy.
(Just in case you are wondering, that's a half corona cigar).

Do I hold the school record for travelling the longest distance from home to the school? I travelled from the Lyndhurst Estate, Erdington (near the Sutton border) to school each day via the 64 bus to Aston Cross and then the Inner Circle 8, why? It's a long story, I'll have to get back to you on that, I'm just on my way to get up close and personal with a bad boy.
Hi Peg going back to your original PST re Michael Leddy there was a lad in my class called Roy Leddy I think this must have been his younger brother.I am now 67 yrs old and eventually went for my last 2 years to St George’s school.A couple of mates who were in my class with unusual names you may remember are Ricardo Wechter and Paul Halliburton I am in contact with them on Facebook.Loved my time at Harry Lucas and will always remember Mr Walker.Another family name you may have come across is Lawler Patrick was in my class he had an older brother John and a sister who cannot recall her name

Hi Harry, good to hear from you, I must admit I don't recall your name, some fellow inmates, sorry, pupils I do recall are: Dianne Bennet, John Smith, John Onions, Edward Embley, David Baldock and, of course, Mike Leddy. That was when we were all in the 5th year, Form G3 (there was only one form in the 5th year, at that time), we were based in the library and the teacher was Mr Thomas, a smart Welsh chap (always suit and tie) very much in the image of the headmaster Mr Walker.
(I prefer to keep anonymous these days, H, it helps to keep my pic out of the West Midlands Police Gazette).
PS I've just remembered another name - John Bright, he appeared in a BBC comedy The Choir, anyone remember it? If not I can bore you with the details another time.
I know this thread seems to have finished but I’ve only just come across it whilst googling Bockleton. I must been in same class as you Peg as Dianne Bennet and all the boys you mention were in my class. Georgina Buckley, Linda Wilson, Lesley Reeves and Mary Caven were also in our class. My name was Glenda Butler

Hi,

I was wondering if anybody had any photos of the football team from this school. My grandad Tony Gardner went to this school and he played as goalkeeper. He think he left in 1967 but he isn’t completely sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated

Hi Teresa Jayne,
I was wondering if your grandad Tony live around Guildford street in the mid sixties,and did he go to Alma street school?if he did we were good mates back then.
We had a great bunch of pals,always out and about,having a great time,before they cleared the old houses for redevelopment.
Brotherphil

Hi Teresa,
Tony was a good lad,full of life,and a good goalkeeper to boot.
Back in the day we were always hungry,no food banks then!
I remember us going to the local chippy at the top of Guildford street
on Clifford street and asking the man behind the counters for the scratching,
no charge,full of grease but we loved them.
We spent many a day on the bomb pecks,building dens out of rubbish,old bricks,
corrugated iron,and other wood bit’s,no health and safety then!
I always thought Tony had gone to Gower street as most of the lad’s did.
So sad for your families loss.
Take good care.

Hi TeresaJayne - I sent you a message. I believe Tony would have left Harry Lucas around 1965 as his sister left school at the same time as myself in 1967. Mayfield

I travelled from kingstanding to Harry Lucas in 66

I remember all of the people you mention, also David Dauncey (check the spelling) who is a friend of mine on Face Book. My Name is Max Bullivant.
Don't remember you. All the lads in my class I remember are Raymond Payne. Barry Moss, Trevor Lawler, David D, Tony Bird, etc. I remember some teachers Miss Kerr,Mr Blenkinsopp.Mr Bayliss.

Don't remember you. All the lads in my class I remember are Raymond Payne. Barry Moss, Trevor Lawler, David D, Tony Bird, etc. I remember some teachers Miss Kerr,Mr Blenkinsopp.Mr Bayliss.
Hi Alan, I cant say I remember you either, but I only attended the school for 2 years (and preferred spending my time working in the jewellery quarter than at school) Id previously been at Gowers St, hence my nick name on here as Harry Gower, to remember both schools. A few other names that come to mind are Tony Gisivicious, Nigel Loader and George Shields (who passed away a couple of years back) I remember teachers Mr Wallet, Mr Figures and Miss Chivers, and the headmaster of course Mr Walker. I have a few other girls i remember who are friends on Facebook. Max

Hi Alan, I cant say I remember you either, but I only attended the school for 2 years (and preferred spending my time working in the jewellery quarter than at school) Id previously been at Gowers St, hence my nick name on here as Harry Gower, to remember both schools. A few other names that come to mind are Tony Gisivicious, Nigel Loader and George Shields (who passed away a couple of years back) I remember teachers Mr Wallet, Mr Figures and Miss Chivers, and the headmaster of course Mr Walker. I have a few other girls i remember who are friends on Facebook. Max
I was at the school for 4 years. My last year I was in the top level class (Grammar school stream level as they called it in those days) because I came top of the class in 1965. I remember going on stage in assembly to receive a prize as a reward. I used to drink at Kingstanding ex-service mens club with Tony Gisivicious, he died 3 or 4 years ago. I left in 1966.

I was at the school for 4 years. My last year I was in the top level class (Grammar school stream level as they called it in those days) because I came top of the class in 1965. I remember going on stage in assembly to receive a prize as a reward. I used to drink at Kingstanding ex-service mens club with Tony Gisivicious, he died 3 or 4 years ago. I left in 1966.
Oh that is so sad , me and Tony were big friends , we lived around the corner from each other as kids, he had a brother Robert, me and Tony was in the scouts together, many years ago we went to a scouts reunion and ended up down Small Heath at various pubs LOL Alan there is a photo somewhere of people getting awards at the school, I think its on this Forum, can any one help ?

Back